Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Injuries & Other Ills

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I see Scimeca/Knierim as possibly the number one team heading into Sochi and i think they have great potential. They have the look the skating skills and grace and i can see them being able to match C/D with the big tricks.
    I hope Knierim's injury does not hold Scimeca/Knierim back from living up to their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    For lcd and anyone else, another little item on the healing front:
    John Coughlin mentioned in his July 1 blog that he has recovered 100% from his injury.
    (Although this "news" is old, I don't know whether it was previously noted in any other GS thread?)
    LOL, did not realize that this mention of Coughlin would get a few responses.

So I have gone back to look up the paragraph from his blog:
    I'm 100-percent healed from my big injury that sidelined us during such an exciting season last year. Feeling like my old self again made me conscious of the fact that my body may have been compensating long before pain let me know that something was wrong. It feels so good to be on the other side of that hurdle, but I am more aware now of my own mortality as an athlete. None of us are guaranteed a certain amount of "sport life." It was never in my nature to be a nervous competitor, but this year should be extra enjoyable just to have the gift of training and competition back once again.
    http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...-Time-Part-III (July 1)

Custom Title
    @lcd - It isn't about enjoyment; but there are injuries, and I believe that we, as figure skating fans, should be aware of that, and the effort and grit and struggle the figure skaters put in, to pursue the sport, and give us fans the enjoyment we derive from it. I see it as their due.[/QUOTE]

Hi LRK. Oh I know, I know ... I shouldn't have posted the way I had. Didn't want to be misinterpreted. I was more reactive/emotional/cringing than trying to say something as concrete as "I only want to hear things that fans can enjoy" Not by any means. My daughter struggled with injuries when she skated and watching the grit that she and other athletes have to go through just sort of breaks my heart. That is the "I didn't enjoy cringing and feeling a fan's or parents' worry" sort of thing, is all. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    @lcd - It isn't about enjoyment; but there are injuries, and I believe that we, as figure skating fans, should be aware of that, and the effort and grit and struggle the figure skaters put in, to pursue the sport, and give us fans the enjoyment we derive from it. I see it as their due.
    Hi LRK. Oh I know, I know ... I shouldn't have posted the way I had. Didn't want to be misinterpreted. I was more reactive/emotional/cringing than trying to say something as concrete as "I only want to hear things that fans can enjoy" Not by any means. My daughter struggled with injuries when she skated and watching the grit that she and other athletes have to go through just sort of breaks my heart. That is the "I didn't enjoy cringing and feeling a fan's or parents' worry" sort of thing, is all. Sigh.
    Oh, no, I didn't take it as criticism of the thread - I did believe you meant that it was very painful reading emotionally for you! I just wanted to reiterate - I believe I said something similar in the beginning of the thread? - one of the main reasons why I think it's important. I hope I didn't come across as sounding too... curt - sometimes it's difficult to be sure that one has conveyed "tone" properly across the internet, is it not?

Banned
    not jinxing
    but hopefully this season will be injury free for athletes

Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt:
    "We had some setbacks this month with injuries, but we are recovering well."
    They did not provide details.

ETA:
    Quote above is from first installment (Aug 1) of their blog.
    Second installment (Aug 2):
    "Our physicals were quick and painless, but it was beneficial to talk to the doctor and fill him in on our most recent ailments. We had some minor setbacks last month, but have been proactive in staying on top of things. It was good to hear a different opinion on how we can continue to recover and are thankful for this opportunity."

Source:
    Lynn and Logan's blog from Lake Placid 2.0
    American ice dancers share LPIDC adventures for second straight year

By Lynn Kriengkrairut and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

On a lighter note, I love this line from their blog:
    "For those of you who haven't had the experience of staying at the OTC [Olympic Training Center], we'd say it's kind of like Hogwarts for athletes, minus the magic."

~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA:
    I hope Knierim's injury does not hold Scimeca/Knierim back from living up to their potential.
    Good news: Seems that @ChrisKnierim returned to the ice within the last day or two.

Big day today!!!!!!!
    6:34 AM - 30 Jul 13
    https://twitter.com/ChrisKnierim/sta...04646573486082

Ice skating here I come!!!
    #TheReturn
    8:12 AM - 31 Jul 13
    https://twitter.com/ChrisKnierim/sta...91624032821248

Nice little warm up before skating pic.twitter.com/CMrIRd6p7w
    7:54 AM - 2 Aug 13
    https://twitter.com/ChrisKnierim/sta...11862865072128

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA, more good news (cross-posting from Gilles thread):
    Poirier is back on the ice.
    Verified by tweet from @PiperGilles.
    Not clear when exactly he returned to the ice.

@Alex_M_Johnson
    Can't believe it's already been 5 weeks since my ankle surgery. Minor setback, major comeback #resilience
    10:59 AM - 15 Aug 13
    https://twitter.com/Alex_M_Johnson/s...69448231444481

Custom Title
    @Alex_M_Johnson
    Can't believe it's already been 5 weeks since my ankle surgery. Minor setback, major comeback #resilience
    10:59 AM - 15 Aug 13
    https://twitter.com/Alex_M_Johnson/s...69448231444481
    Wishing Alex a smooth and successful recovery!!

Lynn Rutherford‏@LynnRutherford1h
    From MZoueva: Lindsay Davis had a training accident the day before camp resulting in several stitches to her head so no SP for DavisBrubaker

Lynn Rutherford‏@LynnRutherford1h
    More Champs Camp: "Lindsay and Rockne may skate some tomorrow," Zoueva said. "The injury doe not seem serious but still we are careful."

The parts pertaining to injury from a recent Plushenko interview:

"- Now your back does not bother you?
    - It bothers, of course. Because of this, my participation in test skating is questioned. Now we have started to work out complex elements, jumps, I did quadruple toe loop, so I need to take care about my back. Of course back still bothers, but not as bad as during the early stages of preparation - at the training camp in Italy and Estonia. There it hurt very badly. Now everything is stabilized, but the problem did not go away completely. Two days ago, we talked with Deputy Sports Minister Yuriy Dmitrievich Nagornykh in Sochi and agreed about a serious medical support. I have really huge desire to practice and skate. As Alexei Nikolaevich Mishin said: «Плющенко еще не искатался…» («Plushenko hasn't been exhausted, tired of skating yet» or «hasn’t reached his limit») And I myself feel – I can. The main thing is to heal all the sores finally. My back injury is the only thing that can prevent me from achieving a good result at Sochi Olympics."

"I have had many operations - knees, groin injury, achilles, hands... None of that bothers me now. Still after the 12th operation - on the back - I have not yet fully recovered. But I hope and believe that I’ll recover, get in good shape and manage to end my career with dignity at home Olympics!"

The link to the interview in its entirety was posted by plushyfan here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post760586

Custom Title
    JOSHI Helgesson has a foot broken :(

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by luisARG View Post
    she has already taken of the gypsum, but il will take another 4 weeks before she return to the ice

Custom Title
    Speedy recovery to her. I hope her sister didn't pull a Tanya Harding on her lol. This does not bode well for her olympic chances.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by luisARG View Post
    "Foot"

I wonder how it happened. Skating boots create many degrees of protection but are also remarkably un-anatomical.
    Best wishes for a complete and timely recovery.

Banned
    also James Cipres just had an operation, will they be out of the GP then ?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast