Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Oberstdorf Gala Reports

  1. #1
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    51

    Oberstdorf Gala Reports

    I saw it live on Eurosport! Fantastic!!! I'm really impressed with Adam Rippon. New haircut, leaner and more toned and as beautiful as ever! If he can maintain this motivation in his competitive programs he can kick Chan's butt in the presentation marks! Keep an eye on the very young German pairs team and Vanessa Marchei. Fumie, sorry but you can't do sexy or cabaret. Joubert had trouble with his jumps but his gladiator program was great and powerful. He wasn't so 'showman' style at Oberstdorf which was quite refreshing. A must see show if you can find it o YouTube!

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    146
    http://www.youtube.com/user/frida340/videos?view=0
    This user has videos of both the Oberstdorf Gala and the Courchevel Gala (a part of it was also shown on Eurosport).

  3. #3
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,091
    They do inded!
    Coverage is by British Eurosport.


    I really like the young German pairs champions, Annabelle Prölß & Ruben Blommaert (Beauty & the Beast)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZcsJO_jPL4

    And Adam Rippon is looking good, too (to After Tonight)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMdsekiWEk4

    And I liked Tanja Kolbe & Stefano Caruso, who peformed their SD (They are the German number2 dance team, coached by Barbara Fusar-Poli)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75AOXLjNuhs

    Kavita Lorenz & Ievgen Kholoniuk, skating to Ghost, the Musical (number3 German dance team, he skated for UKR in juniors last year)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxIVFf_x9BI

  4. #4
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,091

  5. #5
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,825
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I really like the young German pairs champions, Annabelle Prölß & Ruben Blommaert...
    OT. How do you type this es-zet on your keyboard? ß

  6. #6
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,091
    By the magic of copy & paste

    There is also a wikipedia entry for the key strokes for these things, if you have configured your keyboard for English (like mine)

    This answer is probably best

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0203843AAenXh9

    Alt and 225 = ß
    Alt and 148 = ö
    Alt and 153 = Ö
    Alt and 129 = ü
    Alt and 154 = Ü
    Alt and 132 = ä
    Alt and 142 = Ä
    Or go to the Region & Language section in your control panel and set your language display to Germany for as long as you want to be typing a lot of umlauts and es-zets-

    However, you need to have a keyboard layout to know what you have just swapped your keys to.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 01-05-2013 at 01:42 AM.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,790
    Quote Originally Posted by senatormls View Post
    I saw it live on Eurosport! Fantastic!!! I'm really impressed with Adam Rippon. New haircut, leaner and more toned and as beautiful as ever! If he can maintain this motivation in his competitive programs he can kick Chan's butt in the presentation marks! Keep an eye on the very young German pairs team and Vanessa Marchei. Fumie, sorry but you can't do sexy or cabaret. Joubert had trouble with his jumps but his gladiator program was great and powerful. He wasn't so 'showman' style at Oberstdorf which was quite refreshing. A must see show if you can find it o YouTube!
    That's a very dangerous thing to say around here

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,026
    It is going to take more than a new haircut for Rippon to match the presentation of Chan and rightfully so. If Rippon is going to kick Chan's butt then let's be fair you should say Rippon would beat Evan L., Kozuka, Oda, Machida et al.

  9. #9
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    It is going to take more than a new haircut for Rippon to match the presentation of Chan and rightfully so. If Rippon is going to kick Chan's butt then let's be fair you should say Rippon would beat Evan L., Kozuka, Oda, Machida et al.
    I don't consider presentation one of Chan's strengths. To me, he excels in the two more technical components, transitions and skating skills. That's not to say he's not a capable performer, but he's not some kind of artistic genius who nobody can hope to match. Of course, since PCS are very much affected by these two components, and due to the business with the corridor...

    Rippon's haircut is very flattering.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't consider presentation one of Chan's strengths. To me, he excels in the two more technical components, transitions and skating skills. That's not to say he's not a capable performer, but he's not some kind of artistic genius who nobody can hope to match. Of course, since PCS are very much affected by these two components, and due to the business with the corridor...

    Rippon's haircut is very flattering.
    I hardly think Evan was that great skating skills and no better performance wise than Chan. He was or is a competitor but not really a skating sensation or genious - Rippon is far more artistic than Evan. Evan was decent at the right time and right place and even then he barely beat Plushenko.

  11. #11
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I hardly think Evan was that great skating skills and no better performance wise than Chan. He was or is a competitor but not really a skating sensation or genious - Rippon is far more artistic than Evan. Evan was decent at the right time and right place and even then he barely beat Plushenko.
    What does Evan Lysacek have to do with any of this? Did I claim that he is the standard all should aspire to, in terms of presentation? Was he at the Oberstdorf gala? What is the point of this comparison?

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,026
    Chilllax Buttercup Read my earlier post. My point is Adam Rippon has potential but is not the level of these other skaters I have mentioned - yet. And let's hope his marks don't go up simply because of a hair cut. He will have to really skate consistently and of course get out of the US Nationals. Oh what's the point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •