Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Les Mis

Custom Title
    Ooh, very impressive.

Hugh Jackman has some swell voice, doesn't he? Plus looks, charm, acting ability...What, did he win three or four genetic lotteries?

The same with Anne Hathaway. One of the greatest beauties of her generation of actresses, can perform comedy and drama with equal adeptness, and here she unveils this voice. Well, we are all the beneficiaries. What a viewing experience this promises to be.

Yes, the voice is good, though she is a film actress, and I don't know how'd she'd fare in the stage production, but nice voice. One thing I hated was when they cast Madonna as Evita. My neice stole my movie, so I have not seen the VHS in years. Don't know if I would buy the DVD. Madonna actually did well with the singing, in studio then dubbed. It was the one thing I can say I liked her in. I am not a Madonna fan-her talent was workout music, I'd never pay to see a live show, and her egomania-maybe abated with age always bothered me. But Evita was not bad. But if you had seen Elaine Page on the stage as Evita, which I did, well...ur gonna be meh with the film version. I also think I saw mandy Patimkin in maybe a concert version? Or maybe just clips of him as Che in the Broadway version with a singer I love whose name is stuck-she originated the broadway Evita. That cast albumn too disappeared, rueful smile. I was upset they did not cast her and mandy for the movie. Antonio wasn't bad, but...

I agree Anne is very good and while I don't find her beautiful classically, she certainly was a smashing bride. I love her acting...Devil wears Prada is best comedic piece in years-3 great ladies plus stanley tucci to boot.

I wish I could recall the famous woman who got shafted from broadway 'Sunset Blvd' cuz they wanted Glenn Close star power, but she -Ok Patti Lupone_ u can see my recall is big issue and scary to boot. Lupone was lightyears away from madonna and I will never forgive them for casting her and not Lupone. banderas is not a singer, so mandy Patimkin was screwed out of that. He was famous for doing Yentl with Streisand. I think Holllywood comes up with 5 or 6 Oscar worth movies a year. And musicals are generallly blockbusters, so why won't they do more?

Motown generation, there is a Motown musical opening in the spring. You are so lucky Heyang to be there. Maybe we could organize a GS meet in Manhattan in the spring. The music is all hits. Berry Gordy is writing the book. It has smash written all over. To be limited by a body that cannot do!

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    And musicals are generallly blockbusters, so why won't they do more?
    The new musicals have not all done well... most of the big stage hits have already been made into films, you're talking remakes. And they don't bring in as much money as the Marvel Comics made into movies do...

We're so behind in our seeing current/recent movies, but we are definitely looking forward to Les Mis. Loved Anne Hathaway in The Princess Diaries (along with my beloved Julie Andrews) and The Devil Wears Prada. The trailers look good!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    We're so behind in our seeing current/recent movies, but we are definitely looking forward to Les Mis. Loved Anne Hathaway in The Princess Diaries (along with my beloved Julie Andrews) and The Devil Wears Prada. The trailers look good!
    It's too bad that Princess Mia's character in the Princess Diary movies was established as being a bit clumsy in things so that she couldn't get to sing a duet with Julie Andrews the way Raven-Symone got to do. (That duet was a lovely scene in the second movie.) I know that Andrews' voice was no longer at its best after her surgery, but she did sing, and a duet with her and Hathaway would have been fun to hear. I know that the second movie wasn't as well-shaped as the first one, but there was a charm to it that makes me return to the DVD when I want a feel-good experience. There are little touches such as the moment when everyone is sliding down the stairs on mattresses, and the youngest princess has an adult holding her securely as they slide. Another Hathaway movie that shows up her abilities is Becoming Jane, wherein she portrays Jane Austen in an imagined incident (based on real characters) from that author's early life. I generally have an aversion to faked British accents (can't stand watching Renee Zellwegger doing Bridget Jones--can't get through the movie), but Hathaway does the job so subtly that she melts into it. She and a favorite actor of mine, James McAvoy (also "doing" the upper-class British accent, as he's a Scot), make a splendid pair. I can't wait to see her as Fantine, though I'm sure I'll be covering my eyes for most of her scenes, as they're so sad. Hugo was like Dickens in that he wanted to call the literate class's attention to what was going on in the very streets they walked in their fine cities.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I saw the stage production of Les Mis a few years ago here in Vancouver and was blown away. I liked it even better than Phantom which was playing around the same time. I do hope the movie version is as good. It will be pretty hard to top the theatre version.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    The new musicals have not all done well... most of the big stage hits have already been made into films, you're talking remakes. And they don't bring in as much money as the Marvel Comics made into movies do...
    I agree with you. Some musicals have been successful, but definitely not blockbusters. LOL - other than the High School Musical series, I really can't recall a 'hit' musical in the movie theater. Actually, wait, there was Hairspray the remake and Mamma Mia.

I've never seen Mamma Mia on Broadway, but I've watched various pieces of the movie with my nieces. Definitely not the strongest musical cast.

Hairspray was also fun, but I think it got most publicity for John Travolta in drag and Zac Efron.

There was also a 2nd film version of Phantom Of the Opera, but I don't think it was musical. Tom Cruise also recently starred and produced Rock of Ages.

Overall, none were huge hits - they did well enough.

Every now and then the timing, casting and story are 'right' enough to create something iconic - i.e. Grease and Dirty Dancing (technically not a musical)

Les Mis has the music and the cast to be a bigger box office draw than the others. Hugh Jackman is a known triple threat as star of the Boy from Oz on Broadway, multiple box office hits (and some not hits), and host of the Oscars multiple times.

Chicago and Moulin rouge did well boxoffice and oscars... and the phantom of the opera as a musical and did well, too.

I did see Chicago at the movies and Broadway. I enjoyed Broadway the most - starred Bebe Neuwirth and Marilu Henner at the time. LOL - I remember the flashing lights in the movie really bugged me - a bit too frenetic for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of Moulin Rouge the 1st time I saw it, but liked the music. I guess I forgot about it since I don't remember it being on Broadway (although it might've been.)

and now I remember Dreamgirls with Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson. The movie definitely had a gifted cast - beside the two ladies already named, Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy and Anika Noni Rose. I'd never watched on Broadway.

So, for now, Dreamgirls is likely my favorite recent Broadway musical turned movie. I noted 'recent' because I'll alway enjoy watching the Sound of Music and other Rogers and Hammerstein movies and Judy Garland films.

ugh I was not impressed with Dreamgirls at all...

Custom Title
    I'm with you about Judy Garland musicals, Heyang. What a voice that lady had (one of the voices of the century, many would say), and she was brilliant at comedy besides. They had a great roster of stars at MGM during her years there, and she puts just about all of them in the shade. And when paired with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire...magnifique. Gee, even paired with someone whose name I can't remember (in The Harvey Girls), she is the gold standard.

It is something when someone just stands and sings, Judy, Barbra, Liza, on and on.

Saw the trailer for Les Mis at the threatre today.....watch for the battle of the oscars between this and Lincoln. BTW, I dont want to be a wet blanket, but with digital audio "enhancement", you are not hearing Ann Hathaway's exact singing voice. I saw the process of what they (the audio engineers) do on a news show...I am not trying to be critical, but the fact is they could take MY singing and make it sound good now....
    Chris the Phantom of the skating arena

I rented Sparkle-glad I did-last Whitney song, gospel in church. I recommend it. The one with Streep as a sex starved housewife-very dull-and sad for some reason, just cliche.

Here's a featuretee on a song written for the movie. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/12/0...bles-suddenly/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast