Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NHK Trophy Free Dance

skating philosopher
    The Reeds were pleasant to watch....but I think their tech was a bit lacking. I'd put them behind C/B.

Custom Title
    Hey I like the Reed's program! Something different for a change. Cool dress, too. Agree on the tech-lite though.

I think the Reeds have improved a LOT this year. I don't feel a great connection between them and the music here but the audience seemed to love it so maybe that's just me.

I was pleasantly surprised the Reeds skated to that (even though that music is somewhat overused). Interesting costumes! I would have them behind Coomes and Buckland..

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Hey I like the Reed's program! Something different for a change. Cool dress, too.
    I did like watching the program (and I like the dress too), but I do feel they still lack polish in the tech.

Custom Title
    I'm perplexed and frustrated by the Chinese dance teams. These two couples have been around long enough, they should have been improving a lot more than what's being put out on the ice. And their scores seem to be going backward. I know they are good skaters and have more talent than we're seeing. Coaching limitations? Do these two need more than just a western choreographer and also need a different primary coaching situation?....all theoretical of course, since the Chinese Fed mostly insists on doing things their own way.
    I know what you mean. In some ways, I would almost switch up the teams and pair Xiaoyang Yu with Xun Zheng. Xiaoyang's partner isn't very strong and she seems the more expressive of the two and the same with Xun Zheng and his partner. Having said that the main difference I see in the Chinese teams and the other teams is they always seem winded after their performances which to me points to their lack of conditioning. You would think that the Chinese ice dance teams would at least benefit from the physical training regime that makes their top pairs teams so competitive.

Going to the existing teams, I'd pair up Yu and Zheng and then spend some extra money and send them to train with Igor so they get more of a technical base. Then they might actually get somewhere.

It might be too late for these teams though since they're already in their mid 20s- unless they decide to go for another Olympic cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised the Reeds skated to that (even though that music is somewhat overused). Interesting costumes! I would have them behind Coomes and Buckland..
    I'd have them in second too...

skating philosopher
    Ah they barely beat C/B.

skating philosopher
    Hm... something wrong with Elena?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Going to the existing teams, I'd pair up Yu and Zheng and then spend some extra money and send them to train with Igor so they get more of a technical base. Then they might actually get somewhere.

It might be too late for these teams though since they're already in their mid 20s- unless they decide to go for another Olympic cycle.
    Interesting idea, and it may indeed be too late. But if they're fully subsidized as is typical for Chinese national team members, it could happen. Look at Pang/Tong--different discipline but even more wearing on the body!

Did anyone else notice Elena Ilinykh during the warm-up? She looked very concerning, very frazzled......Anyone know of any illness/injury? It could also explain why they are in third after winning...?

Custom Title
    Nicole is a lovely girl but the cut and color of that dress need improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    Did anyone else notice Elena Ilinykh during the warm-up? She looked very concerning, very frazzled......Anyone know of any illness/injury? It could also explain why they are in third after winning...?
    I don't know but I agree she didn't look good :(

skating philosopher
    Yeah...lime green doesn't exactly work...

I actually really like that color on her. In general not so much.

This was another performance I really enjoyed. I'd have them in first. They seemed to really flow across the ice, it made me happy to watch them. TO me their edges/levels looked very strong too but it's always so hard to tell before you see the protocols and can watch again later...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast