Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NHK Trophy Free Dance

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    What is the fuss about constantly ranking the teams ina country as number 1, 2 3, etc??

They are ranked as they skate . That is all. last year B/S were number 1 at nationals and Europeans, at World I/K were. Tht is all.
    This year is to be seen when they skate head to head.
    because I don't think heirarchy is completely removed in ice dancing
    part of it still relies on PCS and reputation for factoring as no.1 Nationally

Medalist
    According to Russian commentator, Elena ate something bad during the lunch, and that s why she felt very bad.

Custom Title
    I used to be a fan of IK when they were with Zhulin, I don't see them improving with Morozov...I'd have them much lower than BS who are amasing this year. I agree that it's important whether you're the 1st or 2nd pair. It gives you extra PCS and TES at international level. I hate IK's bothe SD and FD. DW were much better today, I cried. The only thing - she looks so skinny...you can see muscles and bones...not very enjoyable appearance.

Davis & White - this is the team that has impressed me the most up until now. Their FD is gorgeous and very well executed. They sharp and ready.
    Ilinykh & Katsalapov - I really appreciate what they are doing with this FD. Glad they managed to grab silver
    Shibutanis - lovely ice dancers as always. The beginning of the FD looked great to me and I really like their lifts but somehow after the half point it just alienated me. Don't know if it has to do with the music choice or with the choreography but I just lost interest. Still, happy they could finish on the podium.
    Orford & Williams - Much better than how they performed on the CoR.
    Reed & Reed - nice idea for the FD but is it really competitive? :/

Custom Title
    Error
    Last edited by Mao88; 11-24-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Video problem corrected; thank you!
    Last edited by beabstress; 11-24-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Custom Title
    FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 178.48 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
    2. Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 156.62 Free Dance
    3. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 154.56 Free Dance
    4. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 130.10
    5. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 124.46
    6. Penny COOMES & Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) - 122.80
    7. Xintong HUANG & Xun ZHENG (CHN) - 119.56
    8. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 108.28
    Last edited by Mao88; 11-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiandorocks View Post
    Davis & White - this is the team that has impressed me the most up until now. Their FD is gorgeous and very well executed. They sharp and ready.
    Ilinykh & Katsalapov - I really appreciate what they are doing with this FD. Glad they managed to grab silver
    Shibutanis - lovely ice dancers as always. The beginning of the FD looked great to me and I really like their lifts but somehow after the half point it just alienated me. Don't know if it has to do with the music choice or with the choreography but I just lost interest. Still, happy they could finish on the podium.
    Orford & Williams - Much better than how they performed on the CoR.
    Reed & Reed - nice idea for the FD but is it really competitive? :/
    Reed and Reed are doing better than they were last year. Last year they didn't even made the FD at Worlds, and this year they beat Coomes and Buckland.

Coomes & Buckland haven't been doing to well this season (not yet anyway).
    In 2011, Reed & Reed finished last at the NHK. This year they were 5th. But in the NRW Trophy they finished behind Carron & Jones that just like them didn't made it to the FD at Worlds. My point is: does this FD have the potential to make them improve throughout the season and have a better time at worlds?

Tripping on the Podium
    Just got the chance to watch the FD videos.
    -D/W-seem to get better with each performance, but I can't say I like this program more than V/M's. Going to be an interesting Worlds.
    -I/K-still not sure how I feel about the actual music, but they seemed to have a rather smooth skate overall. They have a lot of talent, but it just seems to get lost...
    -Shibs-I don't know-seems like the same kind of program they have always skated. Skated technically well, but boring. I was hoping they would go in a totally different direction this year, but I am disappointed. I figured the loud applause was because this was Japan, and they are a favorite there.
    -O/W-have a lot of potential, Canadian Nationals will be interesting for that 3rd spot, I think.
    -I was glad to see the Reed's out there after the brother's injuries last year. They may not be great, but there is a joy on their skating. They seemed very happy with their performance.

Custom Title
    D and W deserved to win but their programme is a huge disappointment to me despite it being skated well. Though they are relatively young I found the program a yawn regardless of them stretching themselves or not artistically. But well done - just not special and that's okay because not every programme is a masterpiece.

Custom Title
    I never feel comfortable commenting on dance because I really don't have the technical knowledge at all - but, I can't believe D/W FD; the first time out, I was like: hmmm, I guess it will grow on me. This time - I was wowed. I haven't compared the two performances, but this time, I just loved the opening combination spin and loved the lifts a lot. I often feel with them that I can't believe what they are doing (like, it is obvious that it is technically difficult, perhaps dangerous even, and fast) and am impressed; this time, that feeling was there, but a stronger feeling was that I was just watching and it was over so, so quickly, and yes, I felt moved. Look forward to seeing this again!

(I also quite like their SD!).

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    I never feel comfortable commenting on dance because I really don't have the technical knowledge at all - but, I can't believe D/W FD; the first time out, I was like: hmmm, I guess it will grow on me. This time - I was wowed. I haven't compared the two performances, but this time, I just loved the opening combination spin and loved the lifts a lot. I often feel with them that I can't believe what they are doing (like, it is obvious that it is technically difficult, perhaps dangerous even, and fast) and am impressed; this time, that feeling was there, but a stronger feeling was that I was just watching and it was over so, so quickly, and yes, I felt moved. Look forward to seeing this again!

(I also quite like their SD!).
    It's obvious they did a lot of work on the FD since SA. I liked it at SA, but it was absolutely enchanting at NHK!

(And I like their SD too)...GPF is going to be quite interesting.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I still can't say I'm moved by D/W's ND, though I liked it much better than at SA , and I'd have to say I did like the way it built in the last section. The lifts are really lovely , I must say. I have a hard time warming to the music ... much as I did with VM's FF last year.

Grrrrr.. I'll have to come back in a bit...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    D and W deserved to win but their programme is a huge disappointment to me despite it being skated well. Though they are relatively young I found the program a yawn regardless of them stretching themselves or not artistically. But well done - just not special and that's okay because not every programme is a masterpiece.
    A performance that generates a huge standing ovation and a bunch of 10s from the judges is a yawn? After seeing this in Skate America I knew the program had potential to be great and the changes they made along with the additional characterization especially by Charlie really made this performance special. Alex Wong certainly helped with Charlie's greater expression here at the NHK. No one does better spins then Meryl & Charlie. Incredible! I think it more of a masterpiece than V&M's Carmen that really isn't the story of Carmen at all, but some sexual presentation with ugly lifts.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast