2012 NHK Trophy Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Trophy Free Dance

missysays

On the Ice
With I/K's improved FD score here (they would have gotten 97.66 if not for an extended lift deduction), they will be challenging B/S for the Russian National title.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Meryl & Charlie's performance has moved me to tears...:love: Have you seen almost the whole arena stood up to the ovations, I mean, seconds before the end of their performance! :points:

Loved the Shibs, too! Also loved Elena & Nikita's Free. That is the Elena & Nikita I loved and remember when they won the Junior title with Shindler's List. :yes:

chloepoco

Medalist
What about this: Japan has way too many talented male skaters. The US has many talented dance teams.

Ergo, the US should trade away the Shibs in exchange for Takahiko Kozuka or Nobunari Oda :laugh:

Brilliant idea!! My vote is to trade Oda; Japan needs to keep Kozuka.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
With I/K's improved FD score here (they would have gotten 97.66 if not for an extended lift deduction), they will be challenging B/S for the Russian National title.

Yeah, that is going to be close. Both teams are skating very well at the start of this season. Last season, I did consider I/K the top team.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals are up: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn2012/gpjpn2012_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

All I can say about Davis and White is this: HOLY CRAP AT THOSE GOE SCORES. The lowest +GOE is .80. Highest is 2.00. Average is 1.37. And 8 10's in PCS. Yeah. But they still lost some levels---circular step only was a level 2 and diagonal step was level 3 --otherwise level 4s. Their BV was actually the same as I/K.

I/K won on PCS for the most part. They edged the Shibs in TES but by less than a point. The BV of I/K was just .5 higher. I/K had level 3 on circular step sequence, and level 2 on a diagonal step sequence. The ships got level 3 on rotational lift, diagonal step sequence and a level 2 on the circular step. Level fours on everything else -- so they did much better in that regard. Still, not sure why I/K's PCS is THAT MUCH higher ....

O/W did quite well, all level 4s but level 2 on both step sequences. They'll have to work on getting more +GOE.

Reeds and C/B had the same BV (34.30) and nearly the same PCS, but Reeds edged them out on +GOE, which is a surprise to me.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

which is wrong, I feel I/K being No.1 Nationally is a risk as they are not that polished but seems the Rus Fed are pushing for I/K to be No. 1
I feel a bit sad for B/S because I they have improved more than I/K.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
which is wrong, I feel I/K being No.1 Nationally is a risk as they are not that polished but seems the Rus Fed are pushing for I/K to be No. 1

Agreed. B/S have improved and so have their programs and packaging, I don't see any such improvements in I/K.

herios

Medalist

What is the fuss about constantly ranking the teams ina country as number 1, 2 3, etc??

They are ranked as they skate . That is all. last year B/S were number 1 at nationals and Europeans, at World I/K were. Tht is all.
This year is to be seen when they skate head to head.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Besides the fact they're of Japanese decent and would always win National championships, I see little to be gained by going to Team Japan. With their score at NHK, they are currently No. 2 among U.S. teams on the GP series by 5 points (ahead of C/B). ...

Besides, I think while Maia and Alex take pride in their Japanese heritage, I think they are proud to represent the U.S. They do not seem like a team that would jump ship for the sake of politics or placement.

I agree with Mrs. P -- I do not think that the Shibutanis would give up their U.S. citizenship lightly, mostly because of their pride as Americans. Their silver medals from the U.S. could very well mean as much or more to them than gold medals from Japan would.

Perhaps a lesser consideration would be the cost of their education. I believe that tuition at U Mich (and other American universities?) would be much higher for foreigners. I think that they both aspire to grad school, so the differential over a number of years for the two of them could really add up.

As Mrs. P notes, they have a realistic (although not guaranteed) shot at representing the U.S. at the Sochi Games. If they chose to skate for Japan, I suppose the ice dance slot for the 2014 Olympics could be theirs to lose. But if their ultimate goal is the Olympic podium, belonging to Team Japan vs. Team USA would not give them any advantage.

PLUS ... I for one would not even assume that Japanese citizenship is an option for the Shibs.
I do not claim to have definitive knowledge, but from what I have read, their mother Naomi was born in Japan. Is the same true for their father Chris? Is it possible that he is a second-generation Japanese-American (nisei)?
And is it possible that Naomi became a naturalized citizen of the U.S. long before anyone realized that her kids would become serious contenders for the Olympics? (FWIW, Naomi's mother -- i.e., the maternal grandmother to Maia and Alex -- lives in Michigan too. ETA: And I just read an article that says Naomi grew up in Florida [after her birth in Japan]. Naomi's family might have "transplanted," so to speak, most of their roots to the U.S. before Alex and Maia even were born.)
Yes, I am speculating right and left here. My point is that the premise that Maia and Alex have dual citizenship also could be sheer speculation.
If anyone can shed light on my questions, please do.

In any case, congratulations to the Shibutanis for another GP medal! [Esp. cool that their close pal Ross Miner and they can celebrate their mutual success together. :cool:]

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Agreed though I think it was a forgone conclusion there would be a huge battle between B and S and I and K for their national title but who really is the favourite?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
What is the fuss about constantly ranking the teams ina country as number 1, 2 3, etc??

They are ranked as they skate . That is all. last year B/S were number 1 at nationals and Europeans, at World I/K were. Tht is all.
This year is to be seen when they skate head to head.

because I don't think heirarchy is completely removed in ice dancing
part of it still relies on PCS and reputation for factoring as no.1 Nationally

HR4

On the Ice
According to Russian commentator, Elena ate something bad during the lunch, and that s why she felt very bad.

gioccia

On the Ice
I used to be a fan of IK when they were with Zhulin, I don't see them improving with Morozov...I'd have them much lower than BS who are amasing this year. I agree that it's important whether you're the 1st or 2nd pair. It gives you extra PCS and TES at international level. I hate IK's bothe SD and FD. DW were much better today, I cried. The only thing - she looks so skinny...you can see muscles and bones...not very enjoyable appearance.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Davis & White - this is the team that has impressed me the most up until now. Their FD is gorgeous and very well executed. They sharp and ready.
Ilinykh & Katsalapov - I really appreciate what they are doing with this FD. Glad they managed to grab silver
Shibutanis - lovely ice dancers as always. The beginning of the FD looked great to me and I really like their lifts but somehow after the half point it just alienated me. Don't know if it has to do with the music choice or with the choreography but I just lost interest. Still, happy they could finish on the podium.
Orford & Williams - Much better than how they performed on the CoR.
Reed & Reed - nice idea for the FD but is it really competitive? :/

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 178.48 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
2. Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 156.62 Free Dance
3. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 154.56 Free Dance
4. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 130.10
5. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 124.46
6. Penny COOMES & Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) - 122.80
7. Xintong HUANG & Xun ZHENG (CHN) - 119.56
8. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 108.28

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Davis & White - this is the team that has impressed me the most up until now. Their FD is gorgeous and very well executed. They sharp and ready.
Ilinykh & Katsalapov - I really appreciate what they are doing with this FD. Glad they managed to grab silver
Shibutanis - lovely ice dancers as always. The beginning of the FD looked great to me and I really like their lifts but somehow after the half point it just alienated me. Don't know if it has to do with the music choice or with the choreography but I just lost interest. Still, happy they could finish on the podium.
Orford & Williams - Much better than how they performed on the CoR.
Reed & Reed - nice idea for the FD but is it really competitive? :/

Reed and Reed are doing better than they were last year. Last year they didn't even made the FD at Worlds, and this year they beat Coomes and Buckland.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Coomes & Buckland haven't been doing to well this season (not yet anyway).
In 2011, Reed & Reed finished last at the NHK. This year they were 5th. But in the NRW Trophy they finished behind Carron & Jones that just like them didn't made it to the FD at Worlds. My point is: does this FD have the potential to make them improve throughout the season and have a better time at worlds?

wishonastar

On the Ice
Just got the chance to watch the FD videos.
-D/W-seem to get better with each performance, but I can't say I like this program more than V/M's. Going to be an interesting Worlds.
-I/K-still not sure how I feel about the actual music, but they seemed to have a rather smooth skate overall. They have a lot of talent, but it just seems to get lost...
-Shibs-I don't know-seems like the same kind of program they have always skated. Skated technically well, but boring. I was hoping they would go in a totally different direction this year, but I am disappointed. I figured the loud applause was because this was Japan, and they are a favorite there.
-O/W-have a lot of potential, Canadian Nationals will be interesting for that 3rd spot, I think.
-I was glad to see the Reed's out there after the brother's injuries last year. They may not be great, but there is a joy on their skating. They seemed very happy with their performance.