Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NHK Trophy Free Dance

D/W looked to have so much speed and flow. They make it look easy. Enjoyed their program alot , still don't sense the strong chemistry though. Iam a bit surprised they scored quite that high but V/M still seem to slow down at the end of their free and hopefully will improve that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I don't think they have Japanese citizenship. Am I wrong?
    I am not a lawyer. And I certainly do not know Japanese law regarding citizenship. Shibs are of Japanese heritage, but were born and raised in USA. If I remember correctly, Rena Inoue had to give up Japanese citizenship to skate with John Baldwin Jr. for USA

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Yeah, possibly. This is fixable.

Shibs competing for Japan is an interesting thought. But the USFS would never release them early, so they'd have to sit out a year (2 years?) of international competition before they could represent Japan, and that would likely stop their skating career momentum. Unless of course, the Japanese Federation makes a BIG Gift to the USFSA.
    Besides the fact they're of Japanese decent and would always win National championships, I see little to be gained by going to Team Japan. With their score at NHK, they are currently No. 2 among U.S. teams on the GP series by 5 points (ahead of C/B).

Overall, the Shibs are No. 8 on the season's best list, but in the FD they are No. 7, ahead of W/P and behind C/L. They are No. 9 in the SD, so they'll have to work on that, I suppose.

Besides, I think while Maia and Alex take pride in their Japanese heritage, I think they are proud to represent the U.S. They do not seem like a team that would jump ship for the sake of politics or placement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Unless of course, the Japanese Federation makes a BIG Gift to the USFSA.
    What about this: Japan has way too many talented male skaters. The US has many talented dance teams.

Ergo, the US should trade away the Shibs in exchange for Takahiko Kozuka or Nobunari Oda

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    What about this: Japan has way too many talented male skaters. The US has many talented dance teams.

Ergo, the US should trade away the Shibs in exchange for Takahiko Kozuka or Nobunari Oda
    Nah, if the Shibs are going to go to Japan, they are going to want to be on the same team as their good buddy Taka. Give Oda to the U.S. (And Machida)!

Custom Title
    With I/K's improved FD score here (they would have gotten 97.66 if not for an extended lift deduction), they will be challenging B/S for the Russian National title.

Custom Title
    Meryl & Charlie's performance has moved me to tears... Have you seen almost the whole arena stood up to the ovations, I mean, seconds before the end of their performance!

Loved the Shibs, too! Also loved Elena & Nikita's Free. That is the Elena & Nikita I loved and remember when they won the Junior title with Shindler's List.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post

Brilliant idea!! My vote is to trade Oda; Japan needs to keep Kozuka.

Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    With I/K's improved FD score here (they would have gotten 97.66 if not for an extended lift deduction), they will be challenging B/S for the Russian National title.
    Yeah, that is going to be close. Both teams are skating very well at the start of this season. Last season, I did consider I/K the top team.

Protocals are up: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FD_Scores.pdf

All I can say about Davis and White is this: HOLY CRAP AT THOSE GOE SCORES. The lowest +GOE is .80. Highest is 2.00. Average is 1.37. And 8 10's in PCS. Yeah. But they still lost some levels---circular step only was a level 2 and diagonal step was level 3 --otherwise level 4s. Their BV was actually the same as I/K.

I/K won on PCS for the most part. They edged the Shibs in TES but by less than a point. The BV of I/K was just .5 higher. I/K had level 3 on circular step sequence, and level 2 on a diagonal step sequence. The ships got level 3 on rotational lift, diagonal step sequence and a level 2 on the circular step. Level fours on everything else -- so they did much better in that regard. Still, not sure why I/K's PCS is THAT MUCH higher ....

O/W did quite well, all level 4s but level 2 on both step sequences. They'll have to work on getting more +GOE.

Reeds and C/B had the same BV (34.30) and nearly the same PCS, but Reeds edged them out on +GOE, which is a surprise to me.

Banned
    which is wrong, I feel I/K being No.1 Nationally is a risk as they are not that polished but seems the Rus Fed are pushing for I/K to be No. 1
    I feel a bit sad for B/S because I they have improved more than I/K.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    which is wrong, I feel I/K being No.1 Nationally is a risk as they are not that polished but seems the Rus Fed are pushing for I/K to be No. 1
    Agreed. B/S have improved and so have their programs and packaging, I don't see any such improvements in I/K.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    What is the fuss about constantly ranking the teams ina country as number 1, 2 3, etc??

They are ranked as they skate . That is all. last year B/S were number 1 at nationals and Europeans, at World I/K were. Tht is all.
    This year is to be seen when they skate head to head.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Besides the fact they're of Japanese decent and would always win National championships, I see little to be gained by going to Team Japan. With their score at NHK, they are currently No. 2 among U.S. teams on the GP series by 5 points (ahead of C/B). ...

Besides, I think while Maia and Alex take pride in their Japanese heritage, I think they are proud to represent the U.S. They do not seem like a team that would jump ship for the sake of politics or placement.
    I agree with Mrs. P -- I do not think that the Shibutanis would give up their U.S. citizenship lightly, mostly because of their pride as Americans. Their silver medals from the U.S. could very well mean as much or more to them than gold medals from Japan would.

Perhaps a lesser consideration would be the cost of their education. I believe that tuition at U Mich (and other American universities?) would be much higher for foreigners. I think that they both aspire to grad school, so the differential over a number of years for the two of them could really add up.

As Mrs. P notes, they have a realistic (although not guaranteed) shot at representing the U.S. at the Sochi Games. If they chose to skate for Japan, I suppose the ice dance slot for the 2014 Olympics could be theirs to lose. But if their ultimate goal is the Olympic podium, belonging to Team Japan vs. Team USA would not give them any advantage.

PLUS ... I for one would not even assume that Japanese citizenship is an option for the Shibs.
    I do not claim to have definitive knowledge, but from what I have read, their mother Naomi was born in Japan. Is the same true for their father Chris? Is it possible that he is a second-generation Japanese-American (nisei)?
    And is it possible that Naomi became a naturalized citizen of the U.S. long before anyone realized that her kids would become serious contenders for the Olympics? (FWIW, Naomi's mother -- i.e., the maternal grandmother to Maia and Alex -- lives in Michigan too. ETA: And I just read an article that says Naomi grew up in Florida [after her birth in Japan]. Naomi's family might have "transplanted," so to speak, most of their roots to the U.S. before Alex and Maia even were born.)
    Yes, I am speculating right and left here. My point is that the premise that Maia and Alex have dual citizenship also could be sheer speculation.
    If anyone can shed light on my questions, please do.

In any case, congratulations to the Shibutanis for another GP medal! [Esp. cool that their close pal Ross Miner and they can celebrate their mutual success together. ]
    Last edited by golden411; 11-24-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Custom Title
    Agreed though I think it was a forgone conclusion there would be a huge battle between B and S and I and K for their national title but who really is the favourite?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast