2012 NHK Trophy Mens Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Trophy Mens Free Skate

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Miner gets his second grand prix medal and a great case for a spot on the world team this year.

Heck, he has a great case to win the championship this year. With his NHK score, he has the highest FS and overall score SB out of all the U.S. men.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN)

Music: I Pagliacci by Ruggero Leoncavallo

Black, grey, white, blue, red harlekin one-piece

4T
4T+2T - 4T twofooted, looked UR perhaps even DG on replay
3A
FCCoSp
StSq
LSp
3A - stepout, hand down, no combo
3Lo
3S
3Lz+3T - not much speed coming out, perhaps UR
3F
ChSt
CCoSp

Much better than CoC, but still some costly mistakes. I don't like this program for Takahashi, I'm afraid...

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He will get high PCS scores, but I'd be interested in seeing how his TES compares to Miner.

missysays

On the Ice
You know Dai made some mistakes but that wasn't bad. He kept the energy up- it's almost like he's pacing himself and feeling out the program both technically and emotionally. It will be better at the end of the season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You know Dai made some mistakes but that wasn't bad. He kept the energy up- it's almost like he's pacing himself and feeling out the program both technically and emotionally. It will be better at the end of the season.

I agree. As I thought, he loses to Ross in TES, but obviously got way higher PCS. :)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ross got a quad, 7 triples (2 3As), and a 2A.
Dai got a quad, 7 triples (2 3As), and an URed 4T combo.

Ross probably got much better GOE, so his TES are about 6 points higher, which seems fair.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Yuzuru HANYU

Music: Notre Dame de Paris by Richard Cocciante

Black velvet pants. White shirt w/ cross and red bands fusing into pants.

4T
4S - stepout
3F
FCCoSp - Biellman
StSq
3A+3T
3A+1T
3Lo
3Lz+2T
3Lz - fall
ChSt
CCoSp - botches change-foot, fall?
FSSp

Some stupid mistakes, though I think it will be enough for gold...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yuzuru is happy he did not die from exhaustion. Alas, it was not a perfect skate...

evangeline

Record Breaker
Really bizarre mistake on the spin by Yuzuru, but should be good enough to win.

He looked really, really laboured in the LP's second half though. Was noticeably slower and less sharp...

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Yuzuru running out of gas in the FS as usual. Fall on jump and on his butt on a sit spin. Still, with the lead he had in the SP, probably did enough to win.

missysays

On the Ice
You know that was nothing like his meltdown in SA and it was much better technically but I felt like it was kind of lifeless and moreover that he didn't understand his music.

It's like the disconnection to the music was dragging him down and causing him to make weird mistakes like stopping in that spin.

The music didn't fuel him like it did in the SP. And I think he's one of those skaters where he really needs that emotional connection to really keep him going.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually, I thought he made some strides in the stamina department. He looked OK at the end...not dying from exhaustion.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
You know that was nothing like his meltdown in SA and it was much better technically but I felt like it was kind of lifeless and moreover that he didn't understand his music.

It's like the disconnection to the music was dragging him down and causing him to make weird mistakes like stopping in that spin.

The music didn't fuel him like it did in the SP. And I think he's one of those skaters where he really needs that emotional connection to really keep him going.

I agree with you on all counts. Kind of anticlimatic in the Mens Comp to see somebody win with a flawed and draggy skate like this.

evangeline

Record Breaker

I agree. With the music dragging on and his lack of stamina, poor Yuzuru looked like he was grinding through concrete instead of skating through ice by the program's end.

I'm really glad he was able to win in front of his hometown, though! Must mean a lot to him.....