Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NHK Trophy Mens Free Skate

Custom Title
    You know that was nothing like his meltdown in SA and it was much better technically but I felt like it was kind of lifeless and moreover that he didn't understand his music.

It's like the disconnection to the music was dragging him down and causing him to make weird mistakes like stopping in that spin.

The music didn't fuel him like it did in the SP. And I think he's one of those skaters where he really needs that emotional connection to really keep him going.

skating philosopher
    Actually, I thought he made some strides in the stamina department. He looked OK at the end...not dying from exhaustion.

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Hanyu
    165.71 (SB), total 261.03 (SB) and GOLD!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    You know that was nothing like his meltdown in SA and it was much better technically but I felt like it was kind of lifeless and moreover that he didn't understand his music.

It's like the disconnection to the music was dragging him down and causing him to make weird mistakes like stopping in that spin.

The music didn't fuel him like it did in the SP. And I think he's one of those skaters where he really needs that emotional connection to really keep him going.
    I agree with you on all counts. Kind of anticlimatic in the Mens Comp to see somebody win with a flawed and draggy skate like this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post

I agree. With the music dragging on and his lack of stamina, poor Yuzuru looked like he was grinding through concrete instead of skating through ice by the program's end.

I'm really glad he was able to win in front of his hometown, though! Must mean a lot to him.....

Custom Title
    So Hanyu will have to rely mostly on his short. Mostly under 8.00 in the pcs department...rightfully.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sequinsgalore View Post
    Hanyu
    165.71 (SB), total 261.03 (SB) and GOLD!
    He should not have won the FS with that performance. Thumbs dwn for the judges....
    Last edited by herios; 11-24-2012 at 03:35 AM.

skating philosopher
    Well it looks like D/W had the better program to Norte Dame this time around....That said, I don't think this is a terrible program for Hanyu. There's a lot more going on technically in this FS, which I think is causing him to not connect with the music as much as he usually does.

I think it could be really good with some more work on it...

skating philosopher
    Wow, it just occurred to me that Ross now has the No. 6 SB in the FS list and No. 8 overall. Who would have thought?!

On the Ice
    So GPF will be Patrick, Tatsuki, Taka, Dai, Yuzuru and Javier, right?

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herios
    He should noy have won the FS with that performance. Thumbs dwn for the judges....
    Hanyu won the TES. Whoever you think should have won was already behind in the TES department.

I'm really happy for Yuzuru. That mistake on the spin was really weird, but it was much better than SA. Last year he got better with his FS over time too, the first really good version of it was at GPF. So let's see what he does in 2 weeks

Custom Title
    I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I quite dislike hanyu's biellman. It is amazing that he is able to hit the position but whenever he does it it really slows the spin to a halt.

Anyhow, congratulations to Hanyu, Takahashi, and Fernandez for making it to the GPF! It is going to be really interesting competition

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    While Daisuke and Yuzuru are at the top of my list I just don't like their Free Skates this season. They were so awesome last season, both of them and now it just falls short. Oh well, I just tell myself that this is the lacklustre pre-Olympic season....at least I hope it is, program-wise.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
    I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I quite dislike hanyu's biellman. It is amazing that he is able to hit the position but whenever he does it it really slows the spin to a halt.

Anyhow, congratulations to Hanyu, Takahashi, and Fernandez for making it to the GPF! It is going to be really interesting competition
    Your opinion is popular with me.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by DancerLily View Post
    So GPF will be Patrick, Tatsuki, Taka, Dai, Yuzuru and Javier, right?

Patrick Chan -28
    Yuzuru Hanyu -28
    Takahiko Kozuka 28
    Tatsuki Machida-26 (1st+3rd)
    Daisuke Takahashi 26 (two 2nd)
    Javier Fernandez -24 (1st +4th)

Also it's worth noting we have six different GP gold medalists, which has not happened before.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 11-24-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast