2012 NHK Trophy Mens Free Skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Trophy Mens Free Skate

phaeljones

On the Ice
You know that was nothing like his meltdown in SA and it was much better technically but I felt like it was kind of lifeless and moreover that he didn't understand his music.

It's like the disconnection to the music was dragging him down and causing him to make weird mistakes like stopping in that spin.

The music didn't fuel him like it did in the SP. And I think he's one of those skaters where he really needs that emotional connection to really keep him going.

The discconnection with Hanyu seemed noticeable with the FS at Finlandia too. Still, he is improving with the FS. I am beginning to wonder whether this program is too much for him this year (but it is still likely worth it for him as a skater in the long run). I kind of liked the way it forces him to pace himself (good), but worry that it seems to do so at the expense of disconnecting him (not good). No doubt he has it within himself to connect to the piece and own it, but there is still a long way to go with it. (Still, who can't be happy seeing this skate?) It will be interesting to see his development of the FS further on in the season.

I love his Biellmann, and I am amazed that, despite his recent growth spurt over the summer, he still has his extraordinary flexibility (and balance).

Last edited:

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
I have said this for a while....Ross is slowly and steadily climbing the ranks...I predict a possible spoiler as National champ this year, and an Olympic team member and future world medalist. That's a HIGH score he got today! Congrats!!!!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I have said this for a while....Ross is slowly and steadily climbing the ranks...I predict a possible spoiler as National champ this year, and an Olympic team member and future world medalist. That's a HIGH score he got today! Congrats!!!!

Yeah, if Jeremy bombs at Nationals, I could see Ross at the top of the podium. Richard isn't skating too well lately, nor is Adam, and I'm honestly not sure if Johnny or Evan are even going to be competing (with the way things are going with them).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Hanyu, Dai and Ross!

I am so happy for Ross! Absolutely fabulous executed FS. I am doing my happy dance!!!! :yay:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
This sport is getting more and more into joke. I keep watching it just because my favourites are still competeing (Dai, Plu, others), so I want to supporrt them. After Sochi I might switch into attending ice shows only with my guys. And probably Medal Winners Open where folks with balls compete and judges' games are not that shameful. :popcorn:

OMG! This is my thought!!!! I watched the Fs in my whole life, but if Plushy finished the competitive skating, I don't care anymore. Sometimes I get bored of competitions... don't like the new ice dance, the new pairs skating...And I hate that the girls forgot the jumps. Maybe the men skating are the most developing discipline.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It was great that Rippon had a strong freeskate, ditto for Miner. Dornbush had some mistakes, but his choreography to the music is the best among the US men here, IMO.

I like the programmes of Takahashi and Hanyu very much. Fernandez though had the best programme, in my opinion. Good that he managed to get into the Final. It definetely was not his day...

I watched the Fs in my whole life, but if Plushy finished the competitive skating, I don't care anymore.

I have watched figure skating since early sixties and seen lots of my big favorites leaving the eligible competitions. After a while always new favourites have appeared. Skaters come and go, but the sport of figure skating stays and continues.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Ross, as I said elsewhere in this thread, is one of the most underrated skaters among the U.S. Men. But he always manage to surprise, including last season when he medaled at NHK last year and won bronze 4CC. What I like about Ross is that he keeps his head down and just works on things. That 4S was gorgeous! He just needs to make it consistent. Remember when he had problems with his 3A at the beginning of the 2010-2011 season? Now he has a beautiful 3A. I expect the 4S will be consistent in his arsenal soon enough.

And again, he currently has a higher score than Jeremy in both FS + Overall in the SB standings.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ME!! lol, well maybe not exactly, but I do feel Ross's skating has been underappreciated. Glad to see him get bronze here.

Actually me too. (Though I wasn't expecting him to be that high!) I agree Ross' skating is VERY underappreciated. That 4S was gorgeous -- if he keeps doing that jump like that...watch out, U.S. Nationals!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yeah, like the one that he did today on his butt. Speaking by your words he lucked out a bit getting it counted as executed. :p Give me a break if you please. But that 0.54 lower than Dai for Performance/Execution is for idiots. The kid could hardly finish the prog. Yeah, better than SA though if it helps :laugh:. No way he should have won FS here over Dai. :

And he got properly hit with minus GOE for that. But there were a lot of very well executed jumps in that program. That deservedly got high GOE. In terms of the jumps he lands well they are always going to get high GOE and deservedly soo

As for why he beat Dai, he did not beat Dai due to PCS, Dai finished higher than him there and its not like Dai was perfect himself. Its not like his PCS didn't go down with the poor skate. But Hanyu had about 7 points base value advantage over Dai. Due to the fact that Dai got his quad downgraded and also the fact that Hanyu tries two different types of quads. Its not like Hanyu got PCS in the upper nines and got GOE for mistaken elements. I do think falls should be more penalized but the scores are understandable if you look at the protocol.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yay for Ross! I really enjoyed the youthful exuberance of Hanyu, and the artistry of Daisuke. I really feel his Pagliacci.

GPF is going to be interesting.

sgower

Rinkside
MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 261.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 251.51 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Ross MINER (USA) - 235.37 Free Skate
4. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 232.78 Free Skate
5. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 217.56 Free Skate
6. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 216.26 Free Skate
7. Sergei VORONOV (RUS) - 214.88 Free Skate
8. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 210.47 Free Skate
9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 182.39 Free Skate

Thank you Mao88. Looking forward to watching these :)

emma

Record Breaker
As a die-hard Dai fan, I'm happy to say that I'm warming up to both is programs; not the utter and complete love of both programs from the first moment I saw them like last year, but I'm warming up and happy to see him improving. Hanyu is just very impressive; he has conquered the SP and you can see improvement in his Long with the stamina issues - mistakes not withstanding. The Japanese men's team is just so, so deep - GPF is going to be very interesting in general (how cool is it that all the contenders won an event!), and as a kind of practice for Japanese nationals too, which will be a nail biter imho.

I'm thrilled for Ross and really look forward to what he does at US nationals, which is shaping up to be very interesting too! Haven't seen Javi's program yet (poor guy, but he is overall doing great thus far and made it to the finals) or the other men, but will later. Thanks Mao88 once again for providing all these videos!

wallylutz

Medalist
As a die-hard Dai fan, I'm happy to say that I'm warming up to both is programs; not the utter and complete love of both programs from the first moment I saw them like last year, but I'm warming up and happy to see him improving. Hanyu is just very impressive; he has conquered the SP and you can see improvement in his Long with the stamina issues - mistakes not withstanding. The Japanese men's team is just so, so deep - GPF is going to be very interesting in general (how cool is it that all the contenders won an event!), and as a kind of practice for Japanese nationals too, which will be a nail biter imho.

I'm thrilled for Ross and really look forward to what he does at US nationals, which is shaping up to be very interesting too! Haven't seen Javi's program yet (poor guy, but he is overall doing great thus far and made it to the finals) or the other men, but will later. Thanks Mao88 once again for providing all these videos!

I am pretty sure Dai did not win any event on his way to the GPF qualification.

emma

Record Breaker
^it was a response to me who said how cool is it that all of the men finalists won a competition, which is inaccurate, only 5 of them did and Dai did not.

kimganos

On the Ice
Wow, such Harsh criticism for Hanyu! All of the top 3 did not skate their best. Maybe Dai could have been 1st overall but the placements were fair if you take everything into consideration.

lavender

Record Breaker
I agree. The way Hanyu looked is due to 1) lack of stamina, 2) lack of connection to music, 3) poor posture & SS. In consequence, in between elements he just didn't look like anything to write home about. He needs John Curry to have taught him skating before learning to jump.

When I saw Dai at JO I thought his Pagliacci was a masterpiece and that Leoncavallo would have cried watching him skate it like that and wondered what the Italian commentators would say at GPs. Since then I have seen it twice and it's as though it were a different programme skated by a different skater.

Been trying to figure out why I'm not loving this skater. It is his posture, stroking, the bottom half of his body or something that I'm just not loving.