4. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 232.78 Free Skate
    5. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 217.56 Free Skate
    6. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 216.26 Free Skate
    7. Sergei VORONOV (RUS) - 214.88 Free Skate
    8. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 210.47 Free Skate
    9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 182.39 Free Skate

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    You know that was nothing like his meltdown in SA and it was much better technically but I felt like it was kind of lifeless and moreover that he didn't understand his music.

It's like the disconnection to the music was dragging him down and causing him to make weird mistakes like stopping in that spin.

The music didn't fuel him like it did in the SP. And I think he's one of those skaters where he really needs that emotional connection to really keep him going.
    The discconnection with Hanyu seemed noticeable with the FS at Finlandia too. Still, he is improving with the FS. I am beginning to wonder whether this program is too much for him this year (but it is still likely worth it for him as a skater in the long run). I kind of liked the way it forces him to pace himself (good), but worry that it seems to do so at the expense of disconnecting him (not good). No doubt he has it within himself to connect to the piece and own it, but there is still a long way to go with it. (Still, who can't be happy seeing this skate?) It will be interesting to see his development of the FS further on in the season.

I love his Biellmann, and I am amazed that, despite his recent growth spurt over the summer, he still has his extraordinary flexibility (and balance).
    Last edited by phaeljones; 11-24-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I have said this for a while....Ross is slowly and steadily climbing the ranks...I predict a possible spoiler as National champ this year, and an Olympic team member and future world medalist. That's a HIGH score he got today! Congrats!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ View Post
    I have said this for a while....Ross is slowly and steadily climbing the ranks...I predict a possible spoiler as National champ this year, and an Olympic team member and future world medalist. That's a HIGH score he got today! Congrats!!!!
    Yeah, if Jeremy bombs at Nationals, I could see Ross at the top of the podium. Richard isn't skating too well lately, nor is Adam, and I'm honestly not sure if Johnny or Evan are even going to be competing (with the way things are going with them).

Congratulations to Hanyu, Dai and Ross!

I am so happy for Ross! Absolutely fabulous executed FS. I am doing my happy dance!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    This sport is getting more and more into joke. I keep watching it just because my favourites are still competeing (Dai, Plu, others), so I want to supporrt them. After Sochi I might switch into attending ice shows only with my guys. And probably Medal Winners Open where folks with balls compete and judges' games are not that shameful.
    OMG! This is my thought!!!! I watched the Fs in my whole life, but if Plushy finished the competitive skating, I don't care anymore. Sometimes I get bored of competitions... don't like the new ice dance, the new pairs skating...And I hate that the girls forgot the jumps. Maybe the men skating are the most developing discipline.

Custom Title
    It was great that Rippon had a strong freeskate, ditto for Miner. Dornbush had some mistakes, but his choreography to the music is the best among the US men here, IMO.

I like the programmes of Takahashi and Hanyu very much. Fernandez though had the best programme, in my opinion. Good that he managed to get into the Final. It definetely was not his day...

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I watched the Fs in my whole life, but if Plushy finished the competitive skating, I don't care anymore.
    I have watched figure skating since early sixties and seen lots of my big favorites leaving the eligible competitions. After a while always new favourites have appeared. Skaters come and go, but the sport of figure skating stays and continues.
    Last edited by Jaana; 11-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Custom Title
    MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 261.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
    2. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 251.51 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
    3. Ross MINER (USA) - 235.37 Free Skate

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ View Post
    Ross, as I said elsewhere in this thread, is one of the most underrated skaters among the U.S. Men. But he always manage to surprise, including last season when he medaled at NHK last year and won bronze 4CC. What I like about Ross is that he keeps his head down and just works on things. That 4S was gorgeous! He just needs to make it consistent. Remember when he had problems with his 3A at the beginning of the 2010-2011 season? Now he has a beautiful 3A. I expect the 4S will be consistent in his arsenal soon enough.

And again, he currently has a higher score than Jeremy in both FS + Overall in the SB standings.

Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    ME!! lol, well maybe not exactly, but I do feel Ross's skating has been underappreciated. Glad to see him get bronze here.
    Actually me too. (Though I wasn't expecting him to be that high!) I agree Ross' skating is VERY underappreciated. That 4S was gorgeous -- if he keeps doing that jump like that...watch out, U.S. Nationals!

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Yeah, like the one that he did today on his butt. Speaking by your words he lucked out a bit getting it counted as executed. Give me a break if you please. But that 0.54 lower than Dai for Performance/Execution is for idiots. The kid could hardly finish the prog. Yeah, better than SA though if it helps . No way he should have won FS here over Dai. :
    And he got properly hit with minus GOE for that. But there were a lot of very well executed jumps in that program. That deservedly got high GOE. In terms of the jumps he lands well they are always going to get high GOE and deservedly soo

As for why he beat Dai, he did not beat Dai due to PCS, Dai finished higher than him there and its not like Dai was perfect himself. Its not like his PCS didn't go down with the poor skate. But Hanyu had about 7 points base value advantage over Dai. Due to the fact that Dai got his quad downgraded and also the fact that Hanyu tries two different types of quads. Its not like Hanyu got PCS in the upper nines and got GOE for mistaken elements. I do think falls should be more penalized but the scores are understandable if you look at the protocol.

Yay for Ross! I really enjoyed the youthful exuberance of Hanyu, and the artistry of Daisuke. I really feel his Pagliacci.

GPF is going to be interesting.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 261.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
    2. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 251.51 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
    3. Ross MINER (USA) - 235.37 Free Skate
    Thank you Mao88. Looking forward to watching these :-)

Custom Title
    As a die-hard Dai fan, I'm happy to say that I'm warming up to both is programs; not the utter and complete love of both programs from the first moment I saw them like last year, but I'm warming up and happy to see him improving. Hanyu is just very impressive; he has conquered the SP and you can see improvement in his Long with the stamina issues - mistakes not withstanding. The Japanese men's team is just so, so deep - GPF is going to be very interesting in general (how cool is it that all the contenders won an event!), and as a kind of practice for Japanese nationals too, which will be a nail biter imho.

I'm thrilled for Ross and really look forward to what he does at US nationals, which is shaping up to be very interesting too! Haven't seen Javi's program yet (poor guy, but he is overall doing great thus far and made it to the finals) or the other men, but will later. Thanks Mao88 once again for providing all these videos!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    As a die-hard Dai fan, I'm happy to say that I'm warming up to both is programs; not the utter and complete love of both programs from the first moment I saw them like last year, but I'm warming up and happy to see him improving. Hanyu is just very impressive; he has conquered the SP and you can see improvement in his Long with the stamina issues - mistakes not withstanding. The Japanese men's team is just so, so deep - GPF is going to be very interesting in general (how cool is it that all the contenders won an event!), and as a kind of practice for Japanese nationals too, which will be a nail biter imho.

I'm thrilled for Ross and really look forward to what he does at US nationals, which is shaping up to be very interesting too! Haven't seen Javi's program yet (poor guy, but he is overall doing great thus far and made it to the finals) or the other men, but will later. Thanks Mao88 once again for providing all these videos!
    I am pretty sure Dai did not win any event on his way to the GPF qualification.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast