2012 NHK Ladies Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Ladies Free Skate

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Maybe the fact is truly beyond you when everybody disagrees with your opinion?

Maybe. I don't have any problem with disagreeing with everybody's opinion anyway :p
To me, the judges were right in not awarding Suzuki +2 GOE for her jumps, except the second combo.

Now they're showing the ladies' free skate on American TV. What a gorgeous program Akiko has skated. I feel so happy for the chance to watch her. I love her music as well as her skating.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
CBC just showed Akiko's program again. I like it better every time I see it. The commentators were praising the choreography the entire time: the pacing, the balance throughout, the attention to detail. I found it practically hypnotizing. She seemed like she was one with the music. Performances like this are the reason I watch figure skating. I'll say it again: in my book, this is what should be rewarded in the second mark. Mao's program was pretty, smooth, and had her characteristic and pleasing light and airy style, but she just didn't draw me in to anywhere near the same extent.

To me, the heart of what's measured in the second mark should be the performance, the connection to the music, the experience the skater creates for the audience. Skating skills, choreography and transitions are more of an important means to that end, rather than something that should be rewarded on their own. I realize the scoring system is set up that way. Well, that's why I'm not too keen on it. I'm actually fine with the technical side of things in this new system, and if there are problems they can be tweaked (and have been). But the second mark...I don't really know what would work better; I just know that this isn't working if it isn't rewarding performances like Akiko's here.

mary01

Final Flight
If you actually compare how Mao and Akiko related their skating to the music, Mao's was much better. This is clear, e.g., when you compare the spins. Akiko spins through the music but Mao spins with the music, changing her positions with changes to the tempo of the music. Even the timing of the jumps, Mao's tends to jump with a rise in the music but Akiko's jumps aren't choreographed with the music. Also in terms of the step sequence, Mao's steps capture every nuance of the music change but Akiko's doesn't. This is why I think Mao's P/E is higher than Akiko's. This is a choreographic problem and can be addressed, because Akiko is no doubt able to skate with the music more precisely.

Akiko did score much more than Mao did in the long program.

I totally agree, you just put words on how I have been feeling about akiko's program from the beginning of the season, something was lacking but i just couldn't point my finger on it, but you have done an amazing job doing so, great observation!

Agreed on all counts, Rachmaninoff.

They just showed Li Sijun. She's delightful! Her jumps seem higher than those of other young girls, which offers promise that she'll retain her skills as she matures. Extra note: I'd place her costume in the Top Three for the year. It's beautifully tailored, and I love that dusty rose color. It's so much subtler than plain old pastel pink.

And here's Mirai! One thing that impressed me was how fast and forceful her spins are. Also, her first two jumps landed right on the downbeat of the music. Really impressive.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
CBC just showed Akiko's program again. I like it better every time I see it. The commentators were praising the choreography the entire time: the pacing, the balance throughout, the attention to detail. I found it practically hypnotizing. She seemed like she was one with the music. Performances like this are the reason I watch figure skating. I'll say it again: in my book, this is what should be rewarded in the second mark. Mao's program was pretty, smooth, and had her characteristic and pleasing light and airy style, but she just didn't draw me in to anywhere near the same extent.

To me, the heart of what's measured in the second mark should be the performance, the connection to the music, the experience the skater creates for the audience. Skating skills, choreography and transitions are more of an important means to that end, rather than something that should be rewarded on their own. I realize the scoring system is set up that way. Well, that's why I'm not too keen on it. I'm actually fine with the technical side of things in this new system, and if there are problems they can be tweaked (and have been). But the second mark...I don't really know what would work better; I just know that this isn't working if it isn't rewarding performances like Akiko's here.

:agree:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Agreed on all counts, Rachmaninoff.

They just showed Li Sijun. She's delightful! Her jumps seem higher than those of other young girls, which offers promise that she'll retain her skills as she matures. Extra note: I'd place her costume in the Top Three for the year. It's beautifully tailored, and I love that dusty rose color. It's so much subtler than plain old pastel pink.

I love her dress as well! How cute that one of the Japanese fans threw her a bear wearing a replica of that dress. She looked delighted to get it!

But yes I think she'll be one to watch.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
" this is where her street cred comes in to play" Lmao...... Tara Lipinski

Last edited:
Gosh, I don't know. Having seen the whole thing on the medium-sized screen (instead of the tiny one :) ) I am not quite so irate as I was yesterday. ;) I liked Mao's performance a lot better than I expected to.

IMHO Mao's blade-to-ice skills are a cut above the field, as are her performance skills. She will have to land more than three triple jumps the next time out, but still there were things to admire in her program.

chloepoco

Medalist
Gosh, I don't know. Having seen the whole thing on the medium-sized screen (instead of the tiny one :) ) I am not quite so irate as I was yesterday. ;) I liked Mao's performance a lot better than I expected to.

IMHO Mao's blade-to-ice skills are a cut above the field, as are her performance skills. She will have to land more than three triple jumps the next time out, but still there were things to admire in her program.

I hear ya on that....the second time I watched Mao's program, it wasn't as bad as my initial impression when first viewing it. Maybe because I already knew the outcome, I was able to appreciate everything else that she did do well?

Akiko was indeed musical in every aspect of her free skate in NHK. Mao was a bit off the music and that step sequence was gorgeous when mute on, but it was slow to death and had very shallow edges that I couldn't believe it was Mao who was doing the step sequence.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I agree with Mathman about its a different picture when watching on TV.

Mirai seems to have more fight in her this season and is looking more consistent with her jumps. I think she could really shake up Nationals if she worked on her speed and added a 3 lutz 3 toe, she is more than capable.

Akiko skated beautifully and has wonderful expression it's a shame she couldn't win here.

Mao really wowed me with her footwork, she really is a great skater it's a shame her jumps weren't together here. They did day she did do an overhaul on jump technique I'm wondering if that had anything to do with how she skated. Any thoughts on this?