Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NHK Ladies Free Skate

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by naan View Post
    I watched their performances many times including Japan Open, SC, COC. I think Akiko's LP is very nice program with great transitions, choreography that highlights nuances of the music. Actually, it's one of my favorite programs this season.
    On the other hand, Mao's Swan lake is nothing special for the first three minutes until the footwork starts. No relation to the music, I don't feel like she was into this program at all. She could be skating to any music, I wasn't sure exactly what she was trying to do on the ice. I've seen many Swan lake programs before, but Mao's program is one of my least favorite swan lake programs. I think her SP is much better in terms of "nuances of the music". Mao is a great skater, but her LP and especially her performance at NHK was totally mess.
    While Akiko gave a strong performance, I'm not sure where you can find « great transitions » in it. Although it's good to see her land 6 triples, her program bored me to death: most of her jumps look unattractive, she's a poor spinner, and there isn't much choreography in there, JMO. How the hell the British Eurosport commentator finds she has brilliant technique is beyond me. He also thought the judges would give good GOE for every jump she did. He was obviously wrong.

Now about Asada. I've also seen many Swan Lake programs before, and Mao's is one of my favorites. The music editing isn't that bad, and the program is packed with transitions. Very few crossovers before her jumps, the exception being the second jumping pass. I'm wondering if it is too difficult for Asada to keep all those steps and land the jumps. The Japan Open performance looked promising, it's so sad to see poorer ones as the season goes on.

That said, I agree that Akiko deserved higher PE and IN marks for that competition and therefore should have won.

Mixed feeling about Nagasu: so happy that she won a medal here, but her LP is a snoozer and she looked heavy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Isn't it possible that the CoP is wrong and "everybody" is right?
    You are right; everybody is right.
    I'm thinking: Is the concept of a fixed value for each element justifiable? $100 means little to a millionaire but a lot to someone who is broke. Without deliberate counting, one can hardly tell if a skater has completed 6 or 7 triples. The marginal value between 6 and 7 seems smaller than that between 3 and 4 in terms of its contribution to overall appeal. When something is lacking in a poverty level like Mao's jumps, its weight seems magnified to an extreme, so much so that it becomes the dominant, if not only, impression from the audience.

And that's why one quad compared to no quad seems a whole different world, and yet a 3-quad program doesn't seem to improve so much from a 2-quad one.
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 11-25-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Really like this program.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    How the hell the British Eurosport commentator finds she has brilliant technique is beyond me. He also thought the judges would give good GOE for every jump she did. He was obviously wrong.

Maybe the fact is truly beyond you when everybody disagrees with your opinion?

My canary, Fiona, is getting a big kick out of this. Canaries love music.

Now the ladies are on. I wish Tara didn't talk so much!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by verte76 View Post
    Now the ladies are on. I wish Tara didn't talk so much!
    Tara is very knowlgeable! She is a breath of fresh air.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    Maybe the fact is truly beyond you when everybody disagrees with your opinion?
    Maybe. I don't have any problem with disagreeing with everybody's opinion anyway
    To me, the judges were right in not awarding Suzuki +2 GOE for her jumps, except the second combo.

Custom Title
    Now they're showing the ladies' free skate on American TV. What a gorgeous program Akiko has skated. I feel so happy for the chance to watch her. I love her music as well as her skating.

CBC just showed Akiko's program again. I like it better every time I see it. The commentators were praising the choreography the entire time: the pacing, the balance throughout, the attention to detail. I found it practically hypnotizing. She seemed like she was one with the music. Performances like this are the reason I watch figure skating. I'll say it again: in my book, this is what should be rewarded in the second mark. Mao's program was pretty, smooth, and had her characteristic and pleasing light and airy style, but she just didn't draw me in to anywhere near the same extent.

To me, the heart of what's measured in the second mark should be the performance, the connection to the music, the experience the skater creates for the audience. Skating skills, choreography and transitions are more of an important means to that end, rather than something that should be rewarded on their own. I realize the scoring system is set up that way. Well, that's why I'm not too keen on it. I'm actually fine with the technical side of things in this new system, and if there are problems they can be tweaked (and have been). But the second mark...I don't really know what would work better; I just know that this isn't working if it isn't rewarding performances like Akiko's here.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    If you actually compare how Mao and Akiko related their skating to the music, Mao's was much better. This is clear, e.g., when you compare the spins. Akiko spins through the music but Mao spins with the music, changing her positions with changes to the tempo of the music. Even the timing of the jumps, Mao's tends to jump with a rise in the music but Akiko's jumps aren't choreographed with the music. Also in terms of the step sequence, Mao's steps capture every nuance of the music change but Akiko's doesn't. This is why I think Mao's P/E is higher than Akiko's. This is a choreographic problem and can be addressed, because Akiko is no doubt able to skate with the music more precisely.

Akiko did score much more than Mao did in the long program.
    I totally agree, you just put words on how I have been feeling about akiko's program from the beginning of the season, something was lacking but i just couldn't point my finger on it, but you have done an amazing job doing so, great observation!

Custom Title
    Agreed on all counts, Rachmaninoff.

They just showed Li Sijun. She's delightful! Her jumps seem higher than those of other young girls, which offers promise that she'll retain her skills as she matures. Extra note: I'd place her costume in the Top Three for the year. It's beautifully tailored, and I love that dusty rose color. It's so much subtler than plain old pastel pink.

And here's Mirai! One thing that impressed me was how fast and forceful her spins are. Also, her first two jumps landed right on the downbeat of the music. Really impressive.
    Last edited by Olympia; 11-25-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Nagasu on now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    CBC just showed Akiko's program again. I like it better every time I see it. The commentators were praising the choreography the entire time: the pacing, the balance throughout, the attention to detail. I found it practically hypnotizing. She seemed like she was one with the music. Performances like this are the reason I watch figure skating. I'll say it again: in my book, this is what should be rewarded in the second mark. Mao's program was pretty, smooth, and had her characteristic and pleasing light and airy style, but she just didn't draw me in to anywhere near the same extent.

To me, the heart of what's measured in the second mark should be the performance, the connection to the music, the experience the skater creates for the audience. Skating skills, choreography and transitions are more of an important means to that end, rather than something that should be rewarded on their own. I realize the scoring system is set up that way. Well, that's why I'm not too keen on it. I'm actually fine with the technical side of things in this new system, and if there are problems they can be tweaked (and have been). But the second mark...I don't really know what would work better; I just know that this isn't working if it isn't rewarding performances like Akiko's here.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Agreed on all counts, Rachmaninoff.

They just showed Li Sijun. She's delightful! Her jumps seem higher than those of other young girls, which offers promise that she'll retain her skills as she matures. Extra note: I'd place her costume in the Top Three for the year. It's beautifully tailored, and I love that dusty rose color. It's so much subtler than plain old pastel pink.
    I love her dress as well! How cute that one of the Japanese fans threw her a bear wearing a replica of that dress. She looked delighted to get it!

But yes I think she'll be one to watch.

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast