Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NHK Ladies Free Skate

And into second place.

Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    Tara is very knowlgeable! She is a breath of fresh air.
    You've got a point. After all she is an Olympic champion. But I want to hear the music more than talking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by verte76 View Post
    You've got a point. After all she is an Olympic champion. But I want to hear the music more than talking.
    She states her opinion, no wishy-washy. She clearly believes Mao's performance was a disaster.

skating philosopher
    Tara is beside herself: "I don't know how that was judged."

Shocking result. Good grief!

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    " this is where her street cred comes in to play" Lmao...... Tara Lipinski
    Last edited by MK's Winter; 11-25-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Gosh, I don't know. Having seen the whole thing on the medium-sized screen (instead of the tiny one ) I am not quite so irate as I was yesterday. I liked Mao's performance a lot better than I expected to.

IMHO Mao's blade-to-ice skills are a cut above the field, as are her performance skills. She will have to land more than three triple jumps the next time out, but still there were things to admire in her program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Gosh, I don't know. Having seen the whole thing on the medium-sized screen (instead of the tiny one ) I am not quite so irate as I was yesterday. I liked Mao's performance a lot better than I expected to.

IMHO Mao's blade-to-ice skills are a cut above the field, as are her performance skills. She will have to land more than three triple jumps the next time out, but still there were things to admire in her program.
    I hear ya on that....the second time I watched Mao's program, it wasn't as bad as my initial impression when first viewing it. Maybe because I already knew the outcome, I was able to appreciate everything else that she did do well?

Akiko was indeed musical in every aspect of her free skate in NHK. Mao was a bit off the music and that step sequence was gorgeous when mute on, but it was slow to death and had very shallow edges that I couldn't believe it was Mao who was doing the step sequence.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    I agree with Mathman about its a different picture when watching on TV.

Mirai seems to have more fight in her this season and is looking more consistent with her jumps. I think she could really shake up Nationals if she worked on her speed and added a 3 lutz 3 toe, she is more than capable.

Akiko skated beautifully and has wonderful expression it's a shame she couldn't win here.

Mao really wowed me with her footwork, she really is a great skater it's a shame her jumps weren't together here. They did day she did do an overhaul on jump technique I'm wondering if that had anything to do with how she skated. Any thoughts on this?

Custom Title
    I have mixed feelings still - or a different mix of feelings - now that I watched on my big screen. Ok, just the same mix of feelings but some are clearer - the clearer part is I saw much more of Mao's 'blade to ice' abilities as MM mentioned. I just still feel strongly that some of her components should have been lower (like P/E and perhaps In); I really could have accepted her score a few points lower and her placement in second overall yesterday...I still think that's how is should have worked out, but after seeing these qualities, I guess I can also see (again) what the judges do see. It is, though, seemingly a fairly serious problem with CoP.

anyway, it's nice to see Mirai skate with some commitment/confidence - perhaps enjoyment of it even.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Tara is beside herself: "I don't know how that was judged."
    Eurosport guys were much more blunt: "a travesty of justice" or something like that.

I wonder if the ISU is waiting until the you-know-what hits the fan to finally fix this issue with the system...

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Akiko was indeed musical in every aspect of her free skate in NHK. Mao was a bit off the music and that step sequence was gorgeous when mute on, but it was slow to death and had very shallow edges that I couldn't believe it was Mao who was doing the step sequence.
    I don't know what you were seeing but this was certainly not true of her step sequence. On the contrary to being slow, it felt a bit rushed at times.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    IMHO Mao's blade-to-ice skills are a cut above the field, as are her performance skills.
    That's exactly what I meant: If you analyzed it into parts, it wasn't so bad of a performance at all.

Custom Title
    ^skatinginbc - I really know what you mean with the analyzing parts thing; and again, I think we have seen this problem before with other excellent skaters who had, overall, bad skates. In other cases, it was falling - and that really gets people riled up (me too), here it was doubling more than anything. But, it just still feels wrong that the whole is not only NOT greater than the sum of the parts, but completely lost in summing the parts if that makes any sense.

I so admire gkelly and a number of other posters who can both, break it down for us to see the summing and why the individual scores are what they are, identify problems, and ask questions in an effort to make the system better. I, unfortunatley, have neither the fortitude nor stamina to ask such questions - but i do wonder more simply: had Mao received a few lower components and come second or even third overall, how would most fans (on this board) have felt about the scoring? the system for scoring?

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast