Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Can Ross Miner become the next National Champion?

Custom Title
    I can't forget Armin too, I really enjoy his skating a lot. I do so wish Abbot could skate lights out at nationals and worlds (haven't seen that latter yet, but I still long for it); but I also wish to see Miner, Dornbush, and Armin M make the world team.....so, no matter how the cookie crumbles, I'll be missing at least two guys (oh....and yeah, I happen to really like Rippon too and I'm not even letting myself consider Weir or Evan).

But to stay on topic, I do think that Miner might be under-appreciated, but in part I think that he has been somewhat under-exposed; his first medal at senior nationals with Ricky was the first time a lot of people really saw him, and I think he got a little lost in the crowd after that. Although if I remember correctly he did medal last year too, he didn't go to worlds (right?)...so some of the momentum of being the next 'thing to watch' gets lost when you don't get to go to the next big comp. But...do I think he can medal at nationals again: yes; is he a contender for silver or gold - I think he is in that mix, so much will depend, i think, on the physical and mental status of Abbot for the top.

Custom Title
    while we know season to season, event to event is different, Miner currently has the highest scoring international freeskate of any US man likely to compete. He's got a solid 2.5 points on Jeremy and what's more Abbott's personal best was back in the '08 Grand Prix Final. Nationals could be very interesting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    it does for most except for the selected few and I don't think Miner is Not part of that Group yet
    Chanflation is of course an exception
    Okay, I know this isn't about Miner, but how I loathe this argument. Denis freakin' Ten got higher PCS for a long program with five falls than a program with three falls. Fact. I've just demonstrated it. I can demonstrate it with Murakami. And Abbott. Kostner. And any number of skaters because that is the system.

Miner will win Nationals. Abbott will peak at Worlds and wins bronze. American gets three spots in men.

My prediction: If Abbott goes for a quad, Miner will win.

If Abbott does not go for a quad, Abbott will win, Miner second.
    Last edited by Mathman; 11-24-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Okay, I know this isn't about Miner, but how I loathe this argument. Denis freakin' Ten got higher PCS for a long program with five falls than a program with three falls. Fact. I've just demonstrated it. I can demonstrate it with Murakami. And Abbott. Kostner. And any number of skaters because that is the system.

Miner will win Nationals. Abbott will peak at Worlds and wins bronze. American gets three spots in men.
    I hate that (the first paragraph). I would be happy with the second paragraph!

And I did my quote thingy wrong - but as to MM and his prediction - I can see it; still would be happy with either outcome but most especially if it included Abbot getting a medal at worlds (for a well delivered program that is).

Custom Title
    He's looking for ore, not the diminutive

Duly noted,

Banned
    He's quite boring. There's no transition, no choreography in his programs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    He's quite boring. There's no transition, no choreography in his programs.
    I don't know if he's boring. He reminds me of a very good 6.0 system skater with the crossovers and telegraphed jump entrances. I agree with the no transitions and choreography part.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Ross is one of those guys who is more impressive live than on TV. His Casablanca routine was one of the 2010 US Nationals highlights for me
    Those big swooping spread eagles he does are definitely better in the arena than on the TV screen (and yes they are transitions).

Note that the TES he completed at NHK in the LP is second only to Hanyu's on the GP this season, and better than Chan completed in both his programs (thanks to Mrs. P for compiling this) How does this happen? Well, he has all level 4 spins, that's how. His step was only level 3 here, but it was level 4 at SC. Not to mention landing the jumps including the 3lz 1lop 3s sequence for 13.07 in the bonus.

And congratulations to him for his first quad (a 4S) landed in an ISU competition at NHK.

Now let's look at Jeremey Abbott. He's giving away points to Ross right and left on spins and steps.
    at SkAm in the LP, his spins were level 2, 3, and 4, and his step level 3.
    at TEB in the LP , his spins were level 1, 2, and 2, and his step level 3.
    His TES puts him in dead last place (22nd) in Mrs. P's list of men's programs scoring 145+ in the FS with 63.75 at TEB-and that was better than his SkAm LP which wasn't as high.

Abbott may skate his best program of the season at US Nationals. It's his usual thing. If Ross can nail his SP as well as reproducing his NHK LP, he could beat Abbott for first. If Ross has a weak SP/strong LP performance, he'll be in the general mix for second.

I'm avoiding a lot of the threads because I'm trying to stay "unspoiled" (since NHK Trophy is on this afternoon). There are SO many US guys I really admire (Armin, Keegan, Jeremy, Adam, Ricky, Max, Jonathan C., Stephen C., Jason , Joshua, Sean Rabbitt, Alexander Aiken, Harrison Choate (new senior), to name a few) , but I would to see Ross win Nationals. It's been a pleasure seeing him for the last few seasons @ the Liberty Summer Competition, and I so impressed with him.

Custom Title
    It depends if Ross can land his quad. This was a rare instance he did it, if he doesn't do it under the pressure cooker at natioanls, I dont think he'll win.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    herios, I think that is true. (i.e., if he doesn't do it, he won't win)

However, this is the first year that Ross has attempted to add a quad to his programs. He's been ambitious, and has added a 4S attempt to both SP & LP. He's had 3 or so competitions so far where he has tried quads (unless he tried one at Liberty this summer? that I'm not sure about); for sure Salt Lake Senior B, Skate Canada, and NHK. This is his first success with it. He went about it the same way when he added the 3A-not much success, but when he got it down, things improved fairly quickly. Of course, the quad Sal is more challenging than the 3A, and this may be the only time he ever lands a 4S in a competition. But at this point, I think it is too early to know whether he will reduce it to practice, like his 3A, or if it will remain a some time thing for him.

Tripping on the Podium
    Yes he can.....I think Adam is sort of flopping this year and seems to have maxed out, and the 3axel is just not happening. And I dont think its going to. I hope the world team is Abbott and Miner, in any order....but I think Miner might edge out at Nationals with Jeremy being a bit of a head case. Regardless, I have said this for a while, Ross is the one to watch. I love seeing him rise slow and steady, under the radar. I predict a trip to Sochi, and them him being a big deal if he sticks around for the next Olympic cycle. I believe he would only be 26 in 2018.
    Going out on a limb, I say Abbott, Miner for the world team this year, and Abbott, Miner, and Dornbush for the Olympic team in 2014!!

Custom Title
    I think he can if he skates clean in both programs with his quad, he is a real "skater`s skater" and I really enjoy his quiet presentation, he really seems to enjoy himself every time he is on the ice. I would love a world team of him and Jeremy.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast