Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Can Ross Miner become the next National Champion?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    meanwhile today Weir is a much weaker skater than the top current U.S men, even as unremarkable on the World stage as they might be, in addition to that he wont be geting any boost from USFSA preferential treatment. Which leaves him with no chance. Pretty simple.
    Johnny and Evan have not been skating competitively for two years and their bodies are a lot older too. The fact Johnny worked hard to get in shape to come back for himself and his fans is admirable. He didn't say he was coming back and then not do it. Johnny skated competitive programs at Finlandia in his comeback debut and placed fourth. He was hampered by injury (his body no longer used to the rigors of competition) at Rostelecom Cup. From what I hear, he's still planning to compete at Nationals in January.

I respect Johnny's decision to try and come back but I'd rather see him and Evan competing on a Pro Tour, which likely will never happen, however hopefully they both will go on to do shows and get over their desire to compete as eligible skaters in Sochi. At this point, I would be happy to see Johnny in shows and to hear his commentary in the broadcast booth. But as a fan, I support him in whatever decisions he makes in regard to his skating.

Johnny's relationship with USFS has improved or they would never have assisted in his effort to come back. However, I doubt Johnny has ever expected nor is expecting now any "preferential" treatment from USFS or from any judges. Since you're not the God of Johnny Weir, it's "pretty simple" that you don't get to decide what his "chances" on the ice and in life are or will be.

Now, back to Ross Miner:

Thanks so much mskater93 for your thoughtful and thought-provoking posts. ITA with your assessments regarding how Ross' coaches are guiding him, and the significance of his work with his new choreographers!
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 11-28-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Banned
    I dont "decide" anything, nor did I ever declare too. I can just see the obvious (just like when I stated 2 years ago it was obvious even a splatty Chan would be allowed by the judges to lose to nobody even skating lights out in anything but a cheesefest for the next 2 years atleast and have been right with flying colors) like a past his prime, aging, and now injured Weir having no chance at Nationals vs younger skaters who can easily outjump him , outskate him, do more transitions than he does, have COP smarter programs, and being scored by U.S judges who never gave Weir any help. For others who cant see it, that is their problem, but they will find out for themselves soon enough so no worry.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I dont "decide" anything, nor did I ever declare too. I can just see the obvious (just like when I stated 2 years ago it was obvious even a splatty Chan would be allowed by the judges to lose to nobody even skating lights out in anything but a cheesefest for the next 2 years atleast and have been right with flying colors) like a past his prime, aging, and now injured Weir having no chance at Nationals vs younger skaters who can easily outjump him , outskate him, do more transitions than he does, have COP smarter programs, and being scored by U.S judges who never gave Weir any help. For others who cant see it, that is their problem, but they will find out for themselves soon enough so no worry.
    From the beginning, I doubt Johnny's comeback was about what you seem focused on. I think Johnny was challenging himself and making a commitment to get in shape and to do everything it took to be as competitive as he could possibly be and to follow through on his commitment for himself and for his fans. After that, he was likely prepared for the chips to fall where they may. Being a figure skater is not new to him, and he's quite aware of how difficult it is to come back and compete against younger guys and veterans who never took two years off. I don't fully know or understand Johnny's motivations, desires or expectations and neither do you. But as a long-time fan, I suspect he isn't worrying about his competitors, but is focused on himself and trying to be in shape to present the best programs he can.

Since I'm not interested in scoring points for being right about predictions/ assumptions/ guesses, I'm perfectly willing to wait and find out what happens for all the competitors at Nationals, "soon enough no worries."

Now can we get back to Ross?

I think Ross has a great 3-axel, which Johnny admired during the 2012 Nats broadcast, and when Johnny's compliment was brought to Ross' attention, Ross in turn saluted Johnny for his masterful 3-axel.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 11-29-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Ross does have an official website, but it has not been updated for his 2 GP events.

http://www.rossminer.net/Programs%20...ner/index.html

And his gale program was chacked in the Japanese version I watched. Here it is from the Russian broadcast:

Ross Miner
    Sinatra-Luck be a Lady
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...D72ztI#t=1233s

On the Ice
    I really loved watching Ross Miner's programs, I did not find him boring at all. He is a very smooth and classic skater and improving all the time. His spread eagles (transitions) are great, very stylish. I love that he was willing to do school figures because it shows in his edges and also I think it helps him be more consistent, good for him! I think as he gains more confidence he will do very well and hope to see more of this wonderful skater.

Custom Title
    Thank you Art&Sport for keeping it real where Johnny Weir is concerned. I completely agree with your assessment as to why he's coming back to competition. Johnny has said repeatedly what his reasons are and he's worked hard, very hard, to get back in shape. I haven't seen the same commitment from Evan but I also agree that it would be great to see the two of them competing in professional competitions. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them anymore.

I haven't read this whole thread but I have to say I find Ross Miner's skating kind of boring. I just don't see much personality on the ice. I used to feel that way about Jeremy Abbott early on but he's developed into a beautiful skater who interprets his music and makes you wish there was more when his program is finished. Perhaps Ross will get to that point eventually.

Custom Title
    I admire Ross's consistency and think he's a good competitor and all around skater, I guess personally, I just find him a bit bland, milk-taost-y if you will. That's okay, because at 21 there's still time for him to develop more personality and artistry, and in terms of overall ability, he's one of the best guys in the Nation. I think he can win Nationals but idk if he'll ever be able to medal on a World or Olympic stage. I prefer Dornbush at this point just because I find him more interesting and very animated on the ice - something about Ross's stroking seems robotic/mechanical to me and I think that's why he hasn't totally won me over yet. I love Ricky's programs this season and to me he has the wow that Ross lacks. But as of late, he does not have the consistency of Ross so if we're trying to get 3 men's spots for the Olympics I think Ross should definitely be on the Worlds team. As for if he will win Nationals - it depends on which Jeremy shows up, and maybe a clean Dornbush could win too. It will definitely be interesting. But Ross is improving steadily and I think his FS this year is a big step up from last season.

As for comparisons, Ross doesn't remind me of Boitano or Abbott, to me he's sort of the US equivalent of Oda, or in some ways, Yagudin. Dornbush reminds me more of Kulik, or well, Verner, but hopefully his consistency doesn't go the way of Verner.

I highly doubt Abbott will medal at Worlds this season though. I think getting 3 spots is possible, but the field is so deep right now that Abbott on the podium is really hard for me to imagine. Hope he finally skated well there though (that is if he even makes it to Worlds).

I'm more interested in seeing how some of the spoilers perform at Nats, with good skates I think Aaron, Farris, Messing, and Mahbanoozadeh might surprise people and score/place really well.

Custom Title
    Just gotta say I love ross miner!

BTW I'm new here

Medalist
    I recall the whole world being outraged almost two years ago when Abbott came in fourth at nationals and Miner was sent to Worlds as number three. I remember finding it all a bit much because while Abbott may help in terms of the number of spots, he is far too much of a headcase to make it on the podium and that it is probably better to give the newbies some Worlds experience and exposure to see what mental toughness they possess.

And you know what? I still feel that way about the current picture. Abbott has very strong areas that usually aren't given enough credit by the judges, but the truth is that they never will be until he works out whatever mental issues are causing his inconsistency. And the longer it goes without seeing that change, the more I think it will never happen. He is 27 now for Pete's sake. His time is almost up.

Welcome, Icedinn. Thanks for joining us.

Custom Title
    I had to chuckle at the comment "depends on which Jeremy shows up!" So true! So true! I'm still enamored of his programs at US Nats this year though. His skating was magical and he was in full control. It's just too bad he can't deliver that kind of performance all the time. He has the skills but, alas and alack, he IS a headcase. At this age it's not likely he'll be able to change that. But - please don't count out Jason Brown. If not this year, then next. I think he's much more dynamic on the ice than Ross Miner and is usually as consistent. He does need the quad and the triple axel but he's still so young. I've heard he's landing both in practice. Ricky Dornbush reminds me of one of those male skaters that is all about the athleticism and then all of a sudden the lightbulb goes off and he starts also performing. This year's US Nats is going to be serendipitous for someone......it will be fun to find out who! Quite frankly at this point, unless Jeremy brings his A game it's pretty much up for grabs.

Custom Title
    Brown I think is going to be the next Johnny Weir once he goes senior. Talented, interesting skaters, but I wonder about what his marks will be like once he goes senior. He doesn't fit the traditional mold of the male figure skater which could help or hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Brown I think is going to be the next Johnny Weir once he goes senior. Talented, interesting skaters, but I wonder about what his marks will be like once he goes senior. He doesn't fit the traditional mold of the male figure skater which could help or hurt him.
    I think he will be fine. His programs are different, but I don't think they're all out there. And having unique style is probably the only comparable thing that Jason has to Johnny. Kori seems to have a great understanding of COP. His SP, for example, has a ton of transitions, solid level 4 spins + steps levels (though he probably should not be so borderline with the spin rotations) and a jump in the second half of the program.

And Jason is one of those sunny natured people that people just like to like-he does not appear to enjoy tweaking the noses of the skating establishment, unlike Johnny.

More flies with honey that vinegar, as they say...& Jason landed his first fully rotated 3A today at the JGPF. He has a good chance to do very well; if not this year, then next.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast