Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Can? Yes. Will all? Unlikely. Will all compete? Nope.
    I think Ashley and her fans are having false security for the moment. She's been posting big scores this season due to her consistency. However, the technical content of her programs is really weak. Lots of other 2nd tier ladies are posting scores of 58+ in sp due to the 3t+3t addition. I predict that at worlds , ff Wagner simply makes one minor mistake in sp with no 3+3, she will easily be buried in the 2nd last group.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    I think Ashley and her fans are having false security for the moment. She's been posting big scores this season due to her consistency. However, the technical content of her programs is really weak. Lots of other 2nd tier ladies are posting scores of 58+ in sp due to the 3t+3t addition. I predict that at worlds , ff Wagner simply makes one minor mistake in sp with no 3+3, she will easily be buried in the 2nd last group.
    Hmmm... yes, in a competition where everyone but Wagner skates their best in the short program, she'd be in the second last group. Of course, Wagner could realize that and work harder on her 3-3 combination. Which is what she says she's doing.

Custom Title
    Suzuki gets lowballed by the judges because she's considered Japan's #3 lady. The JSF doesn't politick for her like they do for Mao.

I have to say that Suzuki really deserves to be considered Japan's #1 lady. She is such a strong skater artistically and technically. Asada's technical level is embarrassing, below that of a junior-level skater. She can't rotate triple jumps. She would be finished without the judges holding her up on PCS and GOE thanks to the strong support of the JSF.

Ashley will probably get destroyed at worlds. She has no 3+3 in sp while at least 6-7 other ladies can land 3t+3t. If Wagner can't skate in the last group in lp, she's toast.
    As long as Ashley skates a clean program, the judges will hold her up on PCS. She was barely behind Lipnitskaya, who landed 3Lz-3T, at the TEB.

skating philosopher
    That's sort of the point. Ashley, IMO, is being very smart with her training regimen this season. In the past, she would make really silly mistakes because she wanted it so bad be it to be perfect or to get that 3-3 in. When she did 3-3s in the past they seemed very forced, that's why she's never been very consistent with it.

This year she has a lot more control and confidence in the program.

I think Mr. Nicks is being very smart in having Ashley focus on consistent SP programs which they can build up with more difficult jumps and transitions. I expect we'll see a 3F-3T before the end of this season.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 11-24-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think Mr. Nicks is being very smart in having Ashley focus on consistent SP programs which they can build up with more difficult jumps and transitions. I expect we'll see a 3F-3T before the end of this season.
    I highly doubt Wagner will ever try a 3+3. She has the false security for those big scores. If she doesn't try 3+3 at some GP events, there's no way she will take the risk of trying it at worlds. She're regret about that, mark my word.

skating philosopher
    I highly doubt Wagner will ever try a 3+3. She has the false security for those big scores. If she doesn't try 3+3 at some GP events, there's no way she will take the risk of trying it at worlds. She're regret about that, mark my word.
    Ashley Wagner is ultra competitive. I do not see her resting on her high scores or being risk averse.

And there's one more GP event for her--GPF.

Custom Title
    Sorry for turning the Akiko thread into a discussion of Akiko and Ashley and well, Ashley - I just thought it interesting that they have a similar lay out to the beginning of the program. Ashely might not do a 3x3 in the short, but really she better tack a 3 toe on to that axel. That said, I'm just delighted and impressed by Akiko - this LP is so uplifiting and she was light and airy and lovely yet, there was fire and attack there too. I really enjoyed it.

I want to love Kill Bill (one of my favorite movies!) - the cuts still jar me a bit, but....Akiko has it in her to nail this. I really hope she does!

Is it my eyes, or do her lutzes look good - I mean, are the edge calls 'close' calls, or am I missing something (asking seriously, even though, yes, I adore Akiko).

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    Sorry for turning the Akiko thread into a discussion of Akiko and Ashley and well, Ashley - I just thought it interesting that they have a similar lay out to the beginning of the program. Ashely might not do a 3x3 in the short, but really she better tack a 3 toe on to that axel. That said, I'm just delighted and impressed by Akiko - this LP is so uplifiting and she was light and airy and lovely yet, there was fire and attack there too. I really enjoyed it.

I want to love Kill Bill (one of my favorite movies!) - the cuts still jar me a bit, but....Akiko has it in her to nail this. I really hope she does!

Is it my eyes, or do her lutzes look good - I mean, are the edge calls 'close' calls, or am I missing something (asking seriously, even though, yes, I adore Akiko).
    I think they are. She did not receive huge deductions (-0.10 and -0.40, respectively for the two lutzes), which tells me judges are considering it "borderline" as opposed to "severe". I think she will get it by later in the season.

Custom Title
    She went for it last year at 4CC.

Before today I was rooting for Ashley and Akiko equally. Now I'm definitely rooting for Akiko come worlds.

skating philosopher

Before today I was rooting for Ashley and Akiko equally. Now I'm definitely rooting for Akiko come worlds.
    How come?

Banned

It was 2ft and URed. You can't 'try' new element at big competitions. She needs to try it at GPF. On the other hand, I do like Wagner's programs.

Custom Title
    How come?
    Because it might convince the federation to support her (the same reason I'm rooting for Kozuka). Ashley winning a medal would be enough for her support wise. Suzuki won bronze, headed the ladies at WTT, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

suzukifan27, I don't think Wagner's going to nail the 3-3. I think she's going to go for it. Big difference.

skating philosopher
    Because it might convince the federation to support her (the same reason I'm rooting for Kozuka). Ashley winning a medal would be enough for her support wise. Suzuki won bronze, headed the ladies at WTT, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

suzukifan27, I don't think Wagner's going to nail the 3-3. I think she's going to go for it. Big difference.
    In the reverse it doesn't make sense why they continue to give top support to Mao when she hasn't won a medal at Worlds since 2010.

FWIW, I think Ashley already has plenty of federation support, so yes, I think a medal would be fine as well.

And I do think that she will actually hit the 3-3 when she does it, IMO. As I said earlier in this thread, Ashley had a penchant for going for the 3-3 when she wasn't quite ready to do it. I think this year it will be a different story.

For me, I wanted Akiko to win worlds and Ashley second. Now I want Mirai on Podium. She is really growing up and coming back. I'd like to believe in her again. I thought this had to be Suzuki's year to win worlds. I think she desered silver last year. She is by far Japan's best skater for two years. It is a shame JSF has so little respect for her. She truly deserved Gold at NHK. I love Mao, but this was rediculous. Not fair, judges.

Custom Title
    And I do think that she will actually hit the 3-3 when she does it, IMO. As I said earlier in this thread, Ashley had a penchant for going for the 3-3 when she wasn't quite ready to do it. I think this year it will be a different story.
    ITA. She hasn't needed it yet, and she really won't need to it win the GPF or Nationals. There's no need to take the unnecessary risk just to practice because all of these competitions are important. This year was the first time she won a GP event so she wanted to be clean to achieve that.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast