Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ? I haven't read any posts saying that Suzuki deserved higher placement at Japanese Nationals. Many people thought that she deserved to win NHK and/or Skate Canada. They still do.
    I still do certainly. And I don't consider one bad skate (a really bad one at that) an indication that she is less of a top calibrator skater.

Custom Title
    It's a pity because she put herself in position to win for once. Hopefully this was an isolated poor performance and she can rebound at the upcoming 4CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ? I haven't read any posts saying that Suzuki deserved higher placement at Japanese Nationals. Many people thought that she deserved to win NHK and/or Skate Canada. They still do.
    This.

Akiko was is in tears backstage after her freeskate. A skater's life is no walk in the park, so many highs and lows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...scBBRlBA#t=95s
    Last edited by demarinis5; 12-23-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Medalist
    ^Takahashi being a gentleman.

^ Agreed. It was so touching to see him support her like that.
    I teared a bit seeing Akiko like that, she's performed well so far this season and one less than stellar skate doesn't make her a non contender. I'm happy she'll get the chance to bounce back up in 4CC and Worlds. You go girl!!!

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icedinn View Post
    ^Takahashi being a gentleman.
    Noticed that too.

And yes, Akiko is not done yet. Good for her for having a great SP at Japanese Nats and one of these days we may see her put everything together.

So, can Daisuke Takahashi be this forum's boyfriend?

I :heart: Dai...

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Now that we know the results of the Japanese Nationals, I was wondering if anyone wishes to change the title to Suzuki being a triple victim of underscoring?

When Osmond beat her at SC, there was huge outcry that a junior girl should not be able to beat World medalist given that the latter didn't bomb and that the win was a result of Osmond's powerful federation hosting the event. Seems to me, those people were advocating that reputation should count more than what was happening on ice, true and real pageantry.

When Asada beat her at NHK, the reasoning was switched to because Suzuki is not as pretty as Asada.
    Excuse me, but "Mao won because she's prettier" was not the belief stated by the majority of posters unhappy with the NHK result. Same with "a junior girl should not be able to beat a world medalist unless the latter bombs" in the Skate Canada debate. (I don't even recall one person saying the latter). Strawman much? You are taking the most absurd arguments from both and acting like anyone who believed Suzuki deserved a higher placement believed these things.

And also, what Mathman said: no one is saying Suzuki deserved a higher placement at Japanese Nationals. I'm disappointed she didn't skate a better program, but obviously that doesn't mean she should have been placed higher just because I like her. A skater's deserved placement at one competition with one performance at one day has nothing to do with where she should be placed at a completely different event on a different day with a different skate. Apparently now that there isn't any outcry at all for you to distort and ridicule, you imagine one so you can ridicule that. Lol.

I love Akiko so much. I am glad Dai was there for her.

Skaters have their good and bad days. I do hope Akiko can really deliver 2 solid programs consistently (that would make her a definite challenger).

I do think she is a definite World Championship winner and possible medalist. I think the pressure has been getting to her the past 2 events.

Some would say she peaked early in the season by delivering 2 stunning frees but hopefully by 4CC and WC- she would be ready Go Akiko!

Rumour has it that Akiko and Dai are a couple

Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    Yay!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    No god please no....

Let's remember that rumors of skater's private lives are not fodder for GS. Let's keep to the topic.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast