Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS?

christinaskater

Medalist
I do love Akiko, Ashley and Mao!

I think Ashley is the favourite to win!

Ashley has been sensational all season. With Ashley there is no break in the character- she is Delilah and what a mighty Delilah she is! Mao also transforms into a swan.

Akiko is nearly there as a peacock :p

christinaskater

Medalist
If we compare it in terms of birds and PCS- I think the swan would win over the peacock :p

It may turn out to be a battle of the birds! Who knows when it matters the peacock would win :)

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Don't forget Suzuki skated in the 1st group that might impact her PCS a bit. She is unique because she is the only lady skater who shows versatility in choreography and performance.

emma

Record Breaker

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
had to watch it again!!! thanks. It is a gem of a program and she skated it wonderfully today!

It's interesting that she and Ashley have a similar opening - it made me think that Ashley better hurry up and make that double axel double toe a 2X3 toe. The two of them both of amazing programs - can't wait to see them compete them together.

Ashley will probably get destroyed at worlds. She has no 3+3 in sp while at least 6-7 other ladies can land 3t+3t. If Wagner can't skate in the last group in lp, she's toast.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Can? Yes. Will all? Unlikely. Will all compete? Nope.

I think Ashley and her fans are having false security for the moment. She's been posting big scores this season due to her consistency. However, the technical content of her programs is really weak. Lots of other 2nd tier ladies are posting scores of 58+ in sp due to the 3t+3t addition. I predict that at worlds , ff Wagner simply makes one minor mistake in sp with no 3+3, she will easily be buried in the 2nd last group.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think Ashley and her fans are having false security for the moment. She's been posting big scores this season due to her consistency. However, the technical content of her programs is really weak. Lots of other 2nd tier ladies are posting scores of 58+ in sp due to the 3t+3t addition. I predict that at worlds , ff Wagner simply makes one minor mistake in sp with no 3+3, she will easily be buried in the 2nd last group.

Hmmm... yes, in a competition where everyone but Wagner skates their best in the short program, she'd be in the second last group. Of course, Wagner could realize that and work harder on her 3-3 combination. Which is what she says she's doing.

Selene

On the Ice
Suzuki gets lowballed by the judges because she's considered Japan's #3 lady. The JSF doesn't politick for her like they do for Mao.

I have to say that Suzuki really deserves to be considered Japan's #1 lady. She is such a strong skater artistically and technically. Asada's technical level is embarrassing, below that of a junior-level skater. She can't rotate triple jumps. She would be finished without the judges holding her up on PCS and GOE thanks to the strong support of the JSF.

Ashley will probably get destroyed at worlds. She has no 3+3 in sp while at least 6-7 other ladies can land 3t+3t. If Wagner can't skate in the last group in lp, she's toast.

As long as Ashley skates a clean program, the judges will hold her up on PCS. She was barely behind Lipnitskaya, who landed 3Lz-3T, at the TEB.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

That's sort of the point. Ashley, IMO, is being very smart with her training regimen this season. In the past, she would make really silly mistakes because she wanted it so bad be it to be perfect or to get that 3-3 in. When she did 3-3s in the past they seemed very forced, that's why she's never been very consistent with it.

This year she has a lot more control and confidence in the program.

I think Mr. Nicks is being very smart in having Ashley focus on consistent SP programs which they can build up with more difficult jumps and transitions. I expect we'll see a 3F-3T before the end of this season.

Last edited:

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
I think Mr. Nicks is being very smart in having Ashley focus on consistent SP programs which they can build up with more difficult jumps and transitions. I expect we'll see a 3F-3T before the end of this season.

I highly doubt Wagner will ever try a 3+3. She has the false security for those big scores. If she doesn't try 3+3 at some GP events, there's no way she will take the risk of trying it at worlds. She're regret about that, mark my word.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I highly doubt Wagner will ever try a 3+3. She has the false security for those big scores. If she doesn't try 3+3 at some GP events, there's no way she will take the risk of trying it at worlds. She're regret about that, mark my word.

Ashley Wagner is ultra competitive. I do not see her resting on her high scores or being risk averse.

And there's one more GP event for her--GPF.

emma

Record Breaker
Sorry for turning the Akiko thread into a discussion of Akiko and Ashley and well, Ashley - I just thought it interesting that they have a similar lay out to the beginning of the program. Ashely might not do a 3x3 in the short, but really she better tack a 3 toe on to that axel. That said, I'm just delighted and impressed by Akiko - this LP is so uplifiting and she was light and airy and lovely yet, there was fire and attack there too. I really enjoyed it.

I want to love Kill Bill (one of my favorite movies!) - the cuts still jar me a bit, but....Akiko has it in her to nail this. I really hope she does!

Is it my eyes, or do her lutzes look good - I mean, are the edge calls 'close' calls, or am I missing something (asking seriously, even though, yes, I adore Akiko).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sorry for turning the Akiko thread into a discussion of Akiko and Ashley and well, Ashley - I just thought it interesting that they have a similar lay out to the beginning of the program. Ashely might not do a 3x3 in the short, but really she better tack a 3 toe on to that axel. That said, I'm just delighted and impressed by Akiko - this LP is so uplifiting and she was light and airy and lovely yet, there was fire and attack there too. I really enjoyed it.

I want to love Kill Bill (one of my favorite movies!) - the cuts still jar me a bit, but....Akiko has it in her to nail this. I really hope she does!

Is it my eyes, or do her lutzes look good - I mean, are the edge calls 'close' calls, or am I missing something (asking seriously, even though, yes, I adore Akiko).

I think they are. She did not receive huge deductions (-0.10 and -0.40, respectively for the two lutzes), which tells me judges are considering it "borderline" as opposed to "severe". I think she will get it by later in the season.