Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
? I haven't read any posts saying that Suzuki deserved higher placement at Japanese Nationals. Many people thought that she deserved to win NHK and/or Skate Canada. They still do.

I still do certainly. And I don't consider one bad skate (a really bad one at that) an indication that she is less of a top calibrator skater.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's a pity because she put herself in position to win for once. Hopefully this was an isolated poor performance and she can rebound at the upcoming 4CC.

starryxskies

On the Ice
^ Agreed. It was so touching to see him support her like that.
I teared a bit seeing Akiko like that, she's performed well so far this season and one less than stellar skate doesn't make her a non contender. I'm happy she'll get the chance to bounce back up in 4CC and Worlds. You go girl!!! :clap:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Now that we know the results of the Japanese Nationals, I was wondering if anyone wishes to change the title to Suzuki being a triple victim of underscoring?

When Osmond beat her at SC, there was huge outcry that a junior girl should not be able to beat World medalist given that the latter didn't bomb and that the win was a result of Osmond's powerful federation hosting the event. Seems to me, those people were advocating that reputation should count more than what was happening on ice, true and real pageantry.

When Asada beat her at NHK, the reasoning was switched to because Suzuki is not as pretty as Asada. :sarcasm:

Excuse me, but "Mao won because she's prettier" was not the belief stated by the majority of posters unhappy with the NHK result. Same with "a junior girl should not be able to beat a world medalist unless the latter bombs" in the Skate Canada debate. (I don't even recall one person saying the latter). Strawman much? :rolleye: You are taking the most absurd arguments from both and acting like anyone who believed Suzuki deserved a higher placement believed these things.

And also, what Mathman said: no one is saying Suzuki deserved a higher placement at Japanese Nationals. I'm disappointed she didn't skate a better program, but obviously that doesn't mean she should have been placed higher just because I like her. A skater's deserved placement at one competition with one performance at one day has nothing to do with where she should be placed at a completely different event on a different day with a different skate. Apparently now that there isn't any outcry at all for you to distort and ridicule, you imagine one so you can ridicule that. Lol.

christinaskater

Medalist
I love Akiko so much. I am glad Dai was there for her.

Skaters have their good and bad days. I do hope Akiko can really deliver 2 solid programs consistently (that would make her a definite challenger).

I do think she is a definite World Championship winner and possible medalist. I think the pressure has been getting to her the past 2 events.

Some would say she peaked early in the season by delivering 2 stunning frees but hopefully by 4CC and WC- she would be ready :) Go Akiko!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Let's remember that rumors of skater's private lives are not fodder for GS. Let's keep to the topic.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^ Don't worry, Toni. There are no rumours, they are good long-term friends, just like all Team Japan, and both are single. Dai is simply too good to be single, that's why many people so depserately want to tie him with this or that skater. It's not for the first time, not for the last. And it's actualy quite normal for a popular guy. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ Don't worry, Toni. There are no rumours, they are good long-term friends, just like all Team Japan, and both are single. Dai is simply too good to be single, that's why many people so depserately want to tie him with this or that skater. It's not for the first time, not for the last. And it's actualy quite normal for a popular guy. :)

LOL I think the point is we shouldn't be talking about it, rumor or not! But yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to be tied to Dai, regardless. :biggrin:

FWIW. When I type in "Daisuke Takahashi" the first thing the autofill Goodle does is "Daisuke Takahashi girlfriend." So yes many are curious.

I love reading that article about the "skating aunties" who follow him around. http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2012/04/23/confessions-of-a-covert-daisuke-takahashi-fan/

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
When I type in "Daisuke Takahashi" the first thing the autofill Goodle does is "Daisuke Takahashi girlfriend." So yes many are curious.

Nice try, Mrs. P!:laugh: When you type in "Patrick Chan", the first thing it shows is also "Patrick Chan girlfriend".;)

starryxskies

On the Ice
Nice try, Mrs. P!:laugh: When you type in "Patrick Chan", the first thing it shows is also "Patrick Chan girlfriend".;)

I don't think anyone is saying people are only interested in Daisuke's girlfriend and no one else's. Quite irrelevant for you to bring up Chiddy

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

What's more curious is that the third search result that pops up is "Patrick Chan shirtless." Hm...!

Anyway, sorry to be off topic people. Carry on.

I don't think anyone is saying people are only interested in Daisuke's girlfriend and no one else's. Quite irrelevant for you to bring up Chiddy

I could care less about either skater's dating life. But yes, I didn't bring up the search result to say that he had the most interest. Just noting something I encountered while I was looking up the WSJ about Daisuke's auntie followers.

Anyway, that was really nice of Dai to be for Akiko. I can imagine how upsetting that would be to do so poorly after having so many good skates this season.

Last edited: