Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS? | Golden Skate

Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS?

christinaskater

Medalist
I feel for Akiko Suzuki. She has skated the performance of her life and one of the greatest skates in the history of figure skating and she was underscored in terms of her PCS scores.

I do hope the ISU won't inflate PCS scores so much to hold up some skaters. I know it's not the fault of the skaters but I do hope ISU would look into this.

Akiko clearly deserved 8.0 or even 9.0 for her PCS and she did not get it. The beauty points does help in terms of PCS but it's still about the skating and skating from the heart.

I do hope she would get the marks she deserves.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I feel for Akiko Suzuki. She has skated the performance of her life and one of the greatest skates in the history of figure skating and she was underscored in terms of her PCS scores.

I do hope the ISU won't inflate PCS scores so much to hold up some skaters. I know it's not the fault of the skaters but I do hope ISU would look into this.

Akiko clearly deserved 8.0 or even 9.0 for her PCS and she did not get it. The beauty points does help in terms of PCS but it's still about the skating and skating from the heart.

I do hope she would get the marks she deserves.

You really have to build up to those high marks. Ashley, as an example, doesn't seem to have improved THAT much on the PCS criteria since the beginning of last season IMO. However, a number of consecutive great programs have put her in position to compete for the top places in the world and she is getting much higher PCS marks than last year.

The Akiko vs Mao comparison is perplexing. Despite the mistakes, Mao earns so many points on her spins and fantastic footwork that it helps her quite a bit. And she moves across the ice with interesting an difficult transitions. Still, I don't think that should make up for so many mistakes but those mistakes are only factored in the first mark.

One thing we did learn this weekend is that, even on the supposed objective TES scoring, the judges preferences can affect the outcome. That 3F in the short program seemed pretty clear to be >1/4 short. And I've never seen so much +GOE for doubling intended triples.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She is overrated. I dont understand all the fan love for her. She is a nice skater, but nothing spectacular, definitely not someone who could ever win a World or Olympic title. She became a top skater only because of the weak field the last 2 years, period, the same weak field that Ando benefited from winning a World title past her prime in 2011, that Czisny benefited at one point from, that Wagner is taking advantage of now, that Kostner capatilized to win her first Worlds with reduced jump content, that Leonova has capatilized on, and so on. In 2007-2010 she never would have been a top skater at all, and never was of course. I am also still annoyed she got the last spot on the Japanese Olympic team over Nakano in 2010.

wallylutz

Medalist
The short answer is no, please see the elaboration already made here :

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ies-Free-Skate&p=682496&viewfull=1#post682496

I am noticing the same issues with her skating as I did at Skate Canada earlier. She has to do more than skating from elements to elements, leaving big empty voids in her program. As it stands, her music and costume are supporting her more than anything else - she needs to reverse that. Taking out the jumps, there is really not much left in there. She should carefully consider why despite such strong skates, she failed to defeat other women on the basis of PCS. There were other women in similar situations in the past, both in the 6.0 era and since, so she is hardly a victim as some people wants us to believe.

wallylutz

Medalist
Akiko didn't even deserve the lutz calls.

Now, that you can't really argue with. To do so, your claim sounds more and more like whining. Did she or did she not switch to an inside edge? The HD replay can't lie, plus the call was made before any knowledge of Mao's eventual less than stellar performance.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Suzuki is a major major victim!! She is a world medalist but no one cares in judging because she is not the number one japanese person. Back and forth between Mao and miki and Suzuki is treated like a total afterthought and to judges it's almost Blah Blah Suzuki. She gets pcs that's too low against Osmond and then there at NHk Mao totally flops. I mean Mai just had one of the biggest disaster skates of her entire career. I can think of few skates that were as bad for Mao as her 2012 NHk one. Just a huge disaster. I think of Mao at 2010 NHk, kostner at 2009 worlds, Kerrigan at 1993 worlds, just one of those huge disasters that happen sometimes but because of too low scoring for Suzuki and too high scoring for Mao won.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Akiko didn't even deserve the lutz calls.

But your original argument was in PCS. What are you viewpoints on that after drivingmissdaisy and wallylutz's posts?

I am not going to make any assumptions about PCS because I have not watched the competition (just wanted to make things clear before I start). So based on drivingmissdaisy and wallylutz's arguments, I think Akiko was actually screwed on Mao's +GOEs for her singled/doubled jumps.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just want to say that I think Akiko is quite beautiful, actually.

christinaskater

Medalist
I think Akiko is really beautiful as well. She is really lovely.

She has incredible command of the ice. Her artistry and musicality is simply topnotch.

I am so happy she had the skate of her life in NHK trophy. I do hope she gets the marks she deserves. In the past she did get 8.0's for PCS.

I think that if you really deliver with the SP you do get high PCS scores as well. Sadly she made a mistake with the lutz. I think she needs to go for a jump that she will surely land with super quality like what Carolina did last year.

That being said, if she skates both her SP best and LP best-she could score 194.13 to 200. So good luck to her! I do hope she would rock it at the GPF.

So excited to see Akiko, Ashley and Mao! Supreme trio!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Akiko's mistake on the lutz is because she's working on getting the right edge. She singled the lutz at Worlds last year as well. I admire Akiko for working on her flutz and hope she has it mastered over the season.

glam

On the Ice
The answer is yes! And we really shouldn't bring anybody's looks into this serious discussion.

christinaskater

Medalist
As much as I love Akiko, she does need to work on her in betweens and transitions between jumps and really have the performance for the whole program. Sometimes she does zone in and focuses on the jumps and then goes to the artistry.

I love the costume but I think she can have another costume which is more beautiful for her.

I am just happy for her and for having the skate of her life in the NHK trophy :) Her program is one of the best I've ever seen! I do hope she keeps the momentum and confidence.

Her Kill Bill program is getting better and better as well! Hope she does really well at the GPF, Nationals and Worlds!!!! She is a superstar!

If we add her 2 personal best scores- she would score around 194.13

wallylutz

Medalist
As much as I love Akiko, she does need to work on her in betweens and transitions between jumps and really have the performance for the whole program. Sometimes she does zone in and focuses on the jumps and then goes to the artistry.

I love the costume but I think she can have another costume which is more beautiful for her.

I am just happy for her and for having the skate of her life in the NHK trophy :) Her program is one of the best I've ever seen! I do hope she keeps the momentum and confidence.

Her Kill Bill program is getting better and better as well! Hope she does really well at the GPF, Nationals and Worlds!!!! She is a superstar!

If we add her 2 personal best scores- she would score around 194.13

I am glad to see you are seeing what Akiko needs to work on. If she improves on these two aspects by the next time they meet in competition, even if Mao skates better than today, I cannot be certain she will necessarily beat Akiko.