Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Podium Wishes for GPF

Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    History tells us they would be nothing short of gracious, express their disappointment in a classy way, and blame only themselves. I guess that would be entertaining.
    Actually, history tells us nothing of the kind, but I will refrain from pointing out specifics as that's not what this thread is about. Let's just say that it's not as hard to be classy and gracious when you're winning. FWIW, I do believe that they would never have a Trankov-style whiny reaction.

I, for one, would love to see a bit of a shakeup in the ice dance. V/M have never won the GPF, P/B haven't beaten D/W in years. Sounds entertaining to me. If your version of entertaining differs, feel free to share it. I'm not going to apologize for not being a fan of Davis and White and not picking them higher in a dream podiums thread.

Rinkside
    My dream podiums? You mean the ones with no basis in reality?

Ladies: Wagner, Suzuki, Tukt

Men: Hanyu, Kozuka, Machida (Yes, I know this is one of the least probable dream podiums ever, no Chan, no Takahashi, no Fernandez...but I can dream)

I don't really follow the pairs that much, so I won't comment on that one. And for dance, I'm gonna go with my country and say Davis/White!

Custom Title
    Men:
    1- Takahashi
    2- Hanyu
    3- Chan

Ladies:
    1- Mao

Dance:
    1- Shibs

Pairs:
    1- Pang / Tong

Custom Title
    MEN
    1) Dai
    2) Patrick
    3) Hanyu

LADIES
    1) Asada
    2) Akiko
    3) whatever

PAIRS
    1) Pang/Tong
    2) K/S
    3) Duhamel/Radford

DANCE
    1) Virtue/Moir
    2) Davis/White
    3) Pechalat/Bourzat

Men-now decided Fernandez, Dai,Kozuka

Ladies Akiko, Ash, Kira -Kira needs confidence for Euros/Worlds.

ID still conflicted as in pairs...Would love to see movement in ID-upset and pairs as well.

I guess for ID I'd be happy with Marlie, P/B and Voir

Pairs-meh-just no one with great programs-V/T for gold-still don't care about other 2 spots much.

Custom Title
    Ladies 1. Akiko - after watching for the first time her LP this season I said I want her to win worlds this year, so this would be a big boost for world gold.
    2. Ashley - I wouldn't mind her winning gold but I want her to fight like Akiko did and have a long and beautiful career, so she should qualify for at least 2 more GPF and at least once win gold.
    3. Kiira - she is my favourite lady and if I want Akiko to win worlds, I want Kiira to win Euros, so this will give her confidence.

Men 1. Daisuke - because I still love him despite his awful programs that I really dislike, but if he skates clean i might like it. and as one of his fans wrote before, I also want to be the first japanese man to win GPF
    2. Machida - I am in love with his programs (Lambiel used to be my favourite skater before Dai) and I think he deserves much more atenttion from the japanese federation and it would be a pitty not to see such beautiful programs at worlds.
    3. Yuzuru - he is an exceptional kid and he totally got me last year at world and as in Dai's case I am not crazy about his programs this year, I like his Sp though, and being this young I expect him to qualify for every GPF from now on and win as many gold medals. After Dai retires, he will definetely be my fav japanese skater from those 5 that i like now

Pairs... I don't know, I am not that interested. I used to like Yuko and Alexander before Tatiana and Maxim showed up, but now I am a little disappointed in both of them. In first ones because they don't seem to move on and in second ones because this season they haven't skated clean yet (as they did last season) and they won too much for what they skated, especially in CoR. But I do like their programs and I would like them to win but only with a perfect skate.
    Ia am not crazy over Vera&yuri either. I liked them better last season. I am not also impressed by the chinese couple and I totally dislike Duhamel&Radford but I really like Kirsten and Dylan. So... I think 1. Tat&Max, 2. Vera&Yuri, 3. Kirsten&Dylan it would be close to a dream.

Ice dance...exactly the opposite, I like too many pairs and it's hard to decide. I usually am a fan of Virtue&Moir but this year I also like Meryl&Charlie. Then, I always liked the french couple and it is impossible not to like them because they become better and better each year. But those for whom I have a soft spot are Anna and Luca. So: 1. Virtue&Moir, because they never won a GPF and they deserve it, 2. Meryl&Charlie because they afford to take only silver, 3. Anna&Luca, because I want them to break through and now is the moment, I want them on the european podium just behind Nathalie&fabian (who already have a bronze medal and can afford not to take one this time and win gold at Euros and maybe silver at Worlds).

Custom Title
    Men
    1. Kozuka - Because I want the Japanese federation to respect him more
    2. Fernandez - Because I like him
    3. Hanyu - Because of the xenophobia against him
    4. Chan - Because I want him to improve technically, which he won't unless he gets beaten repeatedly
    5. Takahashi - Because I want him to leave Morosov
    6. Machida - Because this line-up is pretty sick and someone has to be last

Ladies
    1. Suzuki - see Kozuka
    2. Wagner - Can you imagine the drive she'd get from losing this?
    3. Tuktamisheva - Because I'd like to see her emerge as the Russian number one if Sotnikova can't
    4. Korpi - Why not?
    5. Asada - Why not?
    6. Lipnitskaia - For all her talent, she doesn't quite appeal to me. She feels very junior, which means I feel bad being negative. But after insane rotation speed and awesome flexibility, she doesn't offer much.

Pairs
    1. Kavaguti/Smirnov: Greatest programs of this line-up
    2. Duhamel/Radford: The most technically challenging programs of the line-up
    3. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch: At least indicate Nationals will be a competition and not a rout
    4. Pang/Tong: Meh
    5. Voloszhar/Trankov: Because I loathe the direction they've went in
    6. Bazarova/Larionov: 'cause someone has to be last, and again - many positive qualities, but boring programs

Dance
    1. Virtue/Moir: Because they have the greatest programs of the line-up, because they are the greatest skaters of the line-up, because they haven't won before (blasted injuries)
    2. Davis/White: Anything less suggests they had a disaster. Don't want that.
    3. Bobrova/Soloviev: Most improved team of the year.
    4. Pechelat/Bourzat: One awful program, one mediocre one, but pretty people skating to Rolling Stones. I'm okay with that.
    5. Cappellini/Lanotte: Why not.
    6. Ilynikh/Katsalpov: Two disastrous programs.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    3. Davis/White, because it will be entertaining to see them in such a position on the podium
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    History tells us they would be nothing short of gracious, express their disappointment in a classy way, and blame only themselves. I guess that would be entertaining.
    I agree that Davis/White would be gracious in defeat, as they have been in the past.
    An example for Buttercup: I hope that you have seen the wonderful video of D/W seizing their first opportunity to congratulate Virtue/Moir at the Vancouver Olympics. Before the medal ceremony, V/M were in the middle of a TV interview when D/W needed to walk by (on their way to some kind of holding area, I think). At first, D/W must have paused out of camera range, but Moir spotted them out of the corner of his eye -- and as he continued to answer a question, reached toward Davis, who sweetly slipped forward to give him a warm hug. White came up behind Virtue to surprise her with her one, and he laughed, "I'm sorry ... we couldn't wait!" Then the guys hugged each other as their partners did the same. A class act of mutual affection and respect shared among all four. (V/M in turn clearly were highly appreciative of D/W's happiness for them -- all the more, I believe, because V/M felt genuine compassion that their friends had come so close themselves to winning. Moir esp. had a hard time letting go of Davis, as if he partly wanted to silently comfort her that the gold had been just barely out of D/W's grasp.)

In any case, Buttercup, be careful what you wish for. Second or third place at the GPF only would give D/W even more motivation to win Four Continents and Worlds. And WTT.

Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Dance:
    1- Shibs
    I'm sad for the Shibutanis that they did not qualify for the Final this time. Better luck to them next year -- and for the remainder of this season.
    Last edited by golden411; 11-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    6. Ilynikh/Katsalpov: Two disastrous programs.

It would be hilarious if Ilinykh and Katsalapov won!

Hoping for the dance podium to be
    Virtue Moir
    Davis White
    Bobrova Soloviev (I'd like to see them one step higher even, but we all know that's not gonna happen)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Well if I gave each event a value by points might would be:

Olympics 10
    Worlds 8
    Grand Prix final 6
    Europeans or Four Continents 5
    Regular grand prix event 3

What would yours be.
    To me, it'll be like this:

Olympics 10
    Worlds 8
    Euro 5
    GPF 4
    4CC 3
    GP events 2

Olympics - the crown jewel.
    Worlds - the highest level in the world each year.
    Euro - the highest level in Europe each year
    GPF - a small scale competition even though it usually gathers the best in the world there.
    4CC - suppose to be the highest level outside of Europe each year but many top skaters skip it
    GPs - the lowest level internationally

Men
    4. Chan - Because I want him to improve technically, which he won't unless he gets beaten repeatedly

Dance
    1. Virtue/Moir: Because they have the greatest programs of the line-up, because they are the greatest skaters of the line-up, because they haven't won before (blasted injuries)
    2. Davis/White: Anything less suggests they had a disaster. Don't want that.
    Sounds good!

I want Chan to realize that without mainly focusing on technics is not a right direction to go for competitions. I want him to find a technical coach as his primary coach.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 11-28-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkatingWizard View Post
    My dream podiums? You mean the ones with no basis in reality?

Ladies: Wagner, Suzuki, Tukt

Men: Hanyu, Kozuka, Machida (Yes, I know this is one of the least probable dream podiums ever, no Chan, no Takahashi, no Fernandez...but I can dream)

I don't really follow the pairs that much, so I won't comment on that one. And for dance, I'm gonna go with my country and say Davis/White!
    Well no expected Ross Miner to beat Fernandez at NHK either....

Custom Title
    Men
    1. Kozuka - Because I want the Japanese federation to respect him more
    5. Takahashi - Because I want him to leave Morosov.
    These are all assumptions and personal beliefs of how things works or how these individuals' minds function. Real causes and effects are likely quite different from what you think. Further unfolding of events will navigate the courses and affect people's perceptions.

2. Fernandez - Because I like him.
    Can't argue with your honest feelings.

Huh?

6. Machida - Because this line-up is pretty sick and someone has to be last
    True.

Banned

Do you know smth.?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    To me, it'll be like this:

Olympics 10
    Worlds 8
    Euro 5
    GPF 4
    4CC 3
    GP events 2

Olympics - the crown jewel.
    Worlds - the highest level in the world each year.
    Euro - the highest level in Europe each year
    GPF - a small scale competition even though it usually gathers the best in the world there.
    4CC - suppose to be the highest level outside of Europe each year but many top skaters skip it
    GPs - the lowest level internationally
    Great assessment! - And I concur - I'd maybe give Euros a bit higher - say 6-7 - but then that may be... er... locality-based-bias.

As for wishes for the GPF - of course I have them; but mostly, I just wish for great competitions where the winners are the BEST skaters, not THE LEAST BAD ones - that is, those who just happen to have the least mistakes, because everybody was more or less messy. Of course, I also hope that those best skaters happen to be my favourites. Also, I hope for no skating-judging-scandal, and that the winners are those who the majority can get behind as deserving.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast