Off the ice
Actually, history tells us nothing of the kind, but I will refrain from pointing out specifics as that's not what this thread is about. Let's just say that it's not as hard to be classy and gracious when you're winning. FWIW, I do believe that they would never have a Trankov-style whiny reaction.
Originally Posted by CassAgain
I, for one, would love to see a bit of a shakeup in the ice dance. V/M have never won the GPF, P/B haven't beaten D/W in years. Sounds entertaining to me. If your version of entertaining differs, feel free to share it. I'm not going to apologize for not being a fan of Davis and White and not picking them higher in a dream podiums thread.
My dream podiums? You mean the ones with no basis in reality?
Ladies: Wagner, Suzuki, Tukt
Men: Hanyu, Kozuka, Machida (Yes, I know this is one of the least probable dream podiums ever, no Chan, no Takahashi, no Fernandez...but I can dream)
I don't really follow the pairs that much, so I won't comment on that one. And for dance, I'm gonna go with my country and say Davis/White!
1- Pang / Tong
Bona Fide Member
Men-now decided Fernandez, Dai,Kozuka
Ladies Akiko, Ash, Kira -Kira needs confidence for Euros/Worlds.
ID still conflicted as in pairs...Would love to see movement in ID-upset and pairs as well.
I guess for ID I'd be happy with Marlie, P/B and Voir
Pairs-meh-just no one with great programs-V/T for gold-still don't care about other 2 spots much.
Ladies 1. Akiko - after watching for the first time her LP this season I said I want her to win worlds this year, so this would be a big boost for world gold.
2. Ashley - I wouldn't mind her winning gold but I want her to fight like Akiko did and have a long and beautiful career, so she should qualify for at least 2 more GPF and at least once win gold.
3. Kiira - she is my favourite lady and if I want Akiko to win worlds, I want Kiira to win Euros, so this will give her confidence.
Men 1. Daisuke - because I still love him despite his awful programs that I really dislike, but if he skates clean i might like it. and as one of his fans wrote before, I also want to be the first japanese man to win GPF
2. Machida - I am in love with his programs (Lambiel used to be my favourite skater before Dai) and I think he deserves much more atenttion from the japanese federation and it would be a pitty not to see such beautiful programs at worlds.
3. Yuzuru - he is an exceptional kid and he totally got me last year at world and as in Dai's case I am not crazy about his programs this year, I like his Sp though, and being this young I expect him to qualify for every GPF from now on and win as many gold medals. After Dai retires, he will definetely be my fav japanese skater from those 5 that i like now
Pairs... I don't know, I am not that interested. I used to like Yuko and Alexander before Tatiana and Maxim showed up, but now I am a little disappointed in both of them. In first ones because they don't seem to move on and in second ones because this season they haven't skated clean yet (as they did last season) and they won too much for what they skated, especially in CoR. But I do like their programs and I would like them to win but only with a perfect skate.
Ia am not crazy over Vera&yuri either. I liked them better last season. I am not also impressed by the chinese couple and I totally dislike Duhamel&Radford but I really like Kirsten and Dylan. So... I think 1. Tat&Max, 2. Vera&Yuri, 3. Kirsten&Dylan it would be close to a dream.
Ice dance...exactly the opposite, I like too many pairs and it's hard to decide. I usually am a fan of Virtue&Moir but this year I also like Meryl&Charlie. Then, I always liked the french couple and it is impossible not to like them because they become better and better each year. But those for whom I have a soft spot are Anna and Luca. So: 1. Virtue&Moir, because they never won a GPF and they deserve it, 2. Meryl&Charlie because they afford to take only silver, 3. Anna&Luca, because I want them to break through and now is the moment, I want them on the european podium just behind Nathalie&fabian (who already have a bronze medal and can afford not to take one this time and win gold at Euros and maybe silver at Worlds).
1. Kozuka - Because I want the Japanese federation to respect him more
2. Fernandez - Because I like him
3. Hanyu - Because of the xenophobia against him
4. Chan - Because I want him to improve technically, which he won't unless he gets beaten repeatedly
5. Takahashi - Because I want him to leave Morosov
6. Machida - Because this line-up is pretty sick and someone has to be last
1. Suzuki - see Kozuka
2. Wagner - Can you imagine the drive she'd get from losing this?
3. Tuktamisheva - Because I'd like to see her emerge as the Russian number one if Sotnikova can't
4. Korpi - Why not?
5. Asada - Why not?
6. Lipnitskaia - For all her talent, she doesn't quite appeal to me. She feels very junior, which means I feel bad being negative. But after insane rotation speed and awesome flexibility, she doesn't offer much.
1. Kavaguti/Smirnov: Greatest programs of this line-up
2. Duhamel/Radford: The most technically challenging programs of the line-up
3. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch: At least indicate Nationals will be a competition and not a rout
4. Pang/Tong: Meh
5. Voloszhar/Trankov: Because I loathe the direction they've went in
6. Bazarova/Larionov: 'cause someone has to be last, and again - many positive qualities, but boring programs
1. Virtue/Moir: Because they have the greatest programs of the line-up, because they are the greatest skaters of the line-up, because they haven't won before (blasted injuries)
2. Davis/White: Anything less suggests they had a disaster. Don't want that.
3. Bobrova/Soloviev: Most improved team of the year.
4. Pechelat/Bourzat: One awful program, one mediocre one, but pretty people skating to Rolling Stones. I'm okay with that.
5. Cappellini/Lanotte: Why not.
6. Ilynikh/Katsalpov: Two disastrous programs.
Bona Fide Member