To me, it'll be like this:

Olympics 10
Worlds 8
Euro 5
GPF 4
4CC 3
GP events 2

Olympics - the crown jewel.
Worlds - the highest level in the world each year.
Euro - the highest level in Europe each year
GPF - a small scale competition even though it usually gathers the best in the world there.
4CC - suppose to be the highest level outside of Europe each year but many top skaters skip it
GPs - the lowest level internationally

Men
4. Chan - Because I want him to improve technically, which he won't unless he gets beaten repeatedly

Dance
1. Virtue/Moir: Because they have the greatest programs of the line-up, because they are the greatest skaters of the line-up, because they haven't won before (blasted injuries)
2. Davis/White: Anything less suggests they had a disaster. Don't want that.

Sounds good!

I want Chan to realize that without mainly focusing on technics is not a right direction to go for competitions. I want him to find a technical coach as his primary coach.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My dream podiums? You mean the ones with no basis in reality?

Ladies: Wagner, Suzuki, Tukt

Men: Hanyu, Kozuka, Machida (Yes, I know this is one of the least probable dream podiums ever, no Chan, no Takahashi, no Fernandez...but I can dream)

I don't really follow the pairs that much, so I won't comment on that one. And for dance, I'm gonna go with my country and say Davis/White!

Well no expected Ross Miner to beat Fernandez at NHK either....

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Men
1. Kozuka - Because I want the Japanese federation to respect him more
4. Chan - Because I want him to improve technically, which he won't unless he gets beaten repeatedly
5. Takahashi - Because I want him to leave Morosov.

These are all assumptions and personal beliefs of how things works or how these individuals' minds function. Real causes and effects are likely quite different from what you think. Further unfolding of events will navigate the courses and affect people's perceptions.

2. Fernandez - Because I like him.

Can't argue with your honest feelings.

3. Hanyu - Because of the xenophobia against him

Huh?

6. Machida - Because this line-up is pretty sick and someone has to be last

True.

LRK

Record Breaker
To me, it'll be like this:

Olympics 10
Worlds 8
Euro 5
GPF 4
4CC 3
GP events 2

Olympics - the crown jewel.
Worlds - the highest level in the world each year.
Euro - the highest level in Europe each year
GPF - a small scale competition even though it usually gathers the best in the world there.
4CC - suppose to be the highest level outside of Europe each year but many top skaters skip it
GPs - the lowest level internationally

Great assessment! - And I concur - I'd maybe give Euros a bit higher - say 6-7 - but then that may be... er... locality-based-bias. ;)

As for wishes for the GPF - of course I have them; but mostly, I just wish for great competitions where the winners are the BEST skaters, not THE LEAST BAD ones - that is, those who just happen to have the least mistakes, because everybody was more or less messy. Of course, I also hope that those best skaters happen to be my favourites. :) Also, I hope for no skating-judging-scandal, and that the winners are those who the majority can get behind as deserving.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I cant wait for Gpf, I want to see the olympic arena too!

Ladies

I have too many to fit the podium but my dream dream would be Akiko, Mao, Liza but I ll be happy with any of them medalling, all the ladies that are in gpf are from my favs.

Men

A Japanese sweep :yay:and/or fernandez on podium. My best best dream is Kozuka winning, he has the best sp for me this season and he gets constantly underscored.

Pairs

Since S/S are not there, I guess V/T, I want also K/S to do well and B/L too.

Ice Dance

C/L and P/B to medal!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
These are all assumptions and personal beliefs of how things works or how these individuals' minds function. Real causes and effects are likely quite different from what you think. Further unfolding of events will navigate the courses and affect people's perceptions.

I honestly can't think of a single reason why you found it necessary to write this.

There was a post in the men's thread that basically cheered the idea of his physical, mental and/or emotional diminishment because he was with a Canadian coach. That was enough to get me cheering for him when I haven't been this season (as much, anyway).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I honestly can't think of a single reason why you found it necessary to write this.

I am just intrigued about your perspective as your wishes are means to future ends rather than ends that you wish for. Maybe it was because you actually explained your reasons but your post stood out as unique.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I am just intrigued about your perspective as your wishes are means to future ends rather than ends that you wish for.
GPF = Means to future ends
Worlds, Olympics = Ends that you wish for.
Kind of natural to think that way, isn't it? What so intriguing about it? I just don't get it. Stupid me!:eek::
5. Takahashi - Because I want him to leave Morosov
I want Chan to improve artistically and get rewarded for that, so I wish him to WIN with two beautiful performances.
I want Dai to leave Morosov as well, so I wish him.....:eek::....good luck, next time.
Hanyu wins the silver with two clean programs.
Either Kozuka or Fernandez wins the bronze but with some kind of controversy, so we have a lot to talk about :biggrin:. :laugh:

Last edited:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Lol @ this thread now. I feel like I've stepped into some philosophy course.

My wishes for competitions are usually based on just what I want to see there: my favourite programs skated to their potential and a proud moment for the skaters I've been liking recently. But I'm a pretty "live for the moment" sort. :cool:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Philospophy course?

I thought I was in a fortune cookie factory, with typically cryptic fortunes being composed?

emdee

Final Flight
Originally Posted by SkateFiguring
I am just intrigued about your perspective as your wishes are means to future ends rather than ends that you wish for.

To me this is a straightforward statement - neither philosophical nor cryptic.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MEN
Fernandez
Takahashi
Chan

LADIES
Wagner
Suzuki
Korpi

PAIRS
V/T
P/T
K/S

DANCE
D/W
P/B
V/M

Because it would be entertaining to watch Scott Moir have a hissy fit. :laugh:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
To me this is a straightforward statement - neither philosophical nor cryptic.

Straightforward statements can still be philosophical. Nothing wrong with that; I was just amused that a thread about where people want Patrick Chan and Mao Asada to place at GPF turned into a discussion cause and effect, desiring something for what it might bring in the future versus wanting it for it's own sake, how much we can really predict the future, etc.

Anyways, carry on.

bixby

Final Flight
MEN
Fernandez
Takahashi
Chan

LADIES
Wagner
Suzuki
Korpi

PAIRS
V/T
P/T
K/S

DANCE
D/W
P/B
V/M

Because it would be entertaining to watch Scott Moir have a hissy fit. :laugh:

Like your wish for podium finishes especially the dance. Would love to see Scott Moir's reaction if it happens.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Eh, I'm fine with last year's *** off!
So with that in mind...

Ladies
Suzuki -- She ought to be winning for the skate of her life. .
Wagner --
Asada
Tukt
Lipinskaia
Korpi

Men
Kozuka
Chan
Takahashi
Fernandez
Hanyu
Machida

Pairs
D/R
B/H
M-T/M
V/T
K/S
B/L

Dance
D/W
V/M
B/S
C/L
P/B
I/K

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
re: my picks

I feel like Kozuka's rise these past few seasons have been negated in his federation's eyes. Firstly, recall that his first senior season was the year that Oda had been suspended. His second season was the year Takahashi missed due to his ACL injury. So even though he did well - he scored well enough at Worlds to contribute three spots both times and actually beat Oda at 4CC and Worlds. But he never really had enough momentum to really clinch that number two spot above Oda. When he finally won his world silver medal, it didn't actually boost his PCS up in any remarkable way (he really should be at Abbott level, not below Amodio et al). And with both Hanyu and Takahashi medalling last year, I'm afraid it's the death knell. He's such a talented figure skater who's deliberately cultivated a wide range of programs (Take Five and Jimi Hendrix, Nino Rota and Camille Saint-Saens) that it would be a shame for him not to have a World title before he retires.

Chan's an interesting case. I enjoy his programs this season and they both have room to grow. But I much prefered Aranjuez to La Boheme and am rather agnostic about his current SP. And he certainly knows more about his own abilities and goals than I. But I cannot help but be iffy about his decision to continue without a technical coach for a long period of time. Partially because his jump technique is good but not extraordinary (his triple axel and loop). But partially because you know - he was talking about adding a quad flip after Nationals 2011. They mentioned in the summer of 2012 that the quad salchow was coming along. I just don't see how he can add those jumps without a technical/jump coach, and I want him too. That's not to say Johnson hasn't been helpful. The fluidity in his torso has improved and his overall projection has as well. But I've always found him to be artistic and worthy in musicality, choreography and interpretation.

Takahashi's one-two punch of Tango and La Strada was going to be impossible to match. And then he did it with Garden of Souls/Blues for Klook. It was going to be tough to match. But his Morosov-tinged choreography is mediocrity defined. I've gotta imagine that there are choreographers that would give up their first born to work with Takahashi and Morosov isn't high on my list.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
When he finally won his world silver medal, it didn't actually boost his PCS up in any remarkable way (he really should be at Abbott level, not below Amodio et al).

No, Kozuka's skating skill and PCS are not on Jeremy Abbott's level. This is where I believe Kozuka is overrated. Kozuka cannot dance. His movements on the ice are limited by his skating skill, while Abbott could move around ice as freely and easily as if he was on the floor.

Bruin714

On the Ice
Well if I gave each event a value by points might would be:

Olympics 10
Worlds 8
Grand Prix final 6
Europeans or Four Continents 5
Regular grand prix event 3

What would yours be.

Olympics = 30
Words = 10
Grand Prix Final =3
Regular Grand Prix Event = 1

I would rather:
1. Win Olympics than 3 World Titles (but I would rather win 4 World Titles than the Olympics)
2. Win Worlds than 3 Grand Prix Final
3. Win Grand Prix Final rather than 3 regular Grand Prix