2012 NHK Pairs Long Program LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Pairs Long Program LP

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The backstage stuff was odd. Mt/M knew they'd lost, they knew it was fair, so it's clear that the anger (and Kirsten seemed angry) was self directed. But still. Tonally wierd.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Congrats to BazLar! Vera looked so charming in K&C.

She did last time too I thought (at CoR I think). She really looks beautiful and lovely in K&C.

I didn't think MT looked so weird backstage, she did smile and applaud for B/L. I think she is disappointed in their skate, and think that is okay.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Oh, awesome! I was thinking either them or Denney/Coughlin, but I'm glad it's them.

Yeah, M-T/M will have 22 with 2+4, so D/C will be first alternates (22, 3+3, and 357.43 total) with Berton/Hotarek second alternates (22, 3+3, and 341.52.) Third alternate will be Stolbova/Klimov (18, 3+5, and 339.28 total) just beating out Castelli/Shnapir (18, 3+5, and 164.19+174.51 = 338.70 total). Jeez, that third tiebreaker is close.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Those do not look like sbs jumps, so out of sync. In addition, they don't look like a Russian pair at all to me.

I totally agree about the sbs jumps but I disagree totally about them not looking like a russian pair. I think they have many of the qualities that made Russian pairs unbeatable for so many years. They have great lines, and good edging in general, they have lovely lifts and spins, they look at each other and actually seem to actively try to have a connection on the ice (and in my opinion succeed).

Now, would I say they are at the level of G&G or anything like that? Of course not but who is. I think either way that they do look 'Russian' in their skating, and in a good way.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Those do not look like sbs jumps, so out of sync. In addition, they don't look like a Russian pair at all to me.

They still look like a 'Russian' pair to me. They have lots of good quality in non-jump elements. However, their programs are just generic and boring.

gold12345

Medalist
I agree. They are very much a Russian pair and have great lines and good quality to their skating. Their SBS jumps are always woefully out of unison though, and they don't really try to sell their programs at all. They're a little bit flat.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Bazarova/Larionov's first GP Gold ?

looks like an overhaul for Russian pairs this season though I disagree they are Rus No.2 over Kavaguti-Smirnov, they are so overscored

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
I find her positions in lifts gorgeous and he is very expressive when he skates. And together they have command over the ice. As well, their programs have always been gorgeously choreographed ever since they were in juniors. The stop and go is due to jump mistakes.

I totally agree ,it couldn't have been said better!
I so want them to get more international competitions.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do wonder why Castelli & Shnapir keep going for that 2A 2A sequence when they always have problems with it. They land a nice 3S in the SP and a nice 3T at the beginning of the LP. They have options! For that matter, they can usually get some sort of first 2A-do some hops into a 2f or something and be done with it.

Congratulations on their first GP medal, though :love: They were definitely a highlight for me at SkAm.

Ravensque

On the Ice
:clap: Happy for MT/M that they get to go to GPfinal. Get it together guys for the rest of the season.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Why do mt/m always peak so early? They reeled off clean programs in August but couldn't hold on. By this rate, they will again lose a spot on the world team in Jan.

I dunno about them losing a spot on the world team. Lawrence and Swiegers are pretty inconsistent, and Dube and Wolfe (well, one of them) are injured. I don't think MT/M will win the Canadian Nationals again, that will be Duhamel and Radford, but I think they'll probably hang on to second place.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The backstage stuff was odd. Mt/M knew they'd lost, they knew it was fair, so it's clear that the anger (and Kirsten seemed angry) was self directed. But still. Tonally wierd.

IMO, going into the FS they fully expected to win since B/L's margin in the short was so tiny. But they didn't skate well, and it wasn't just his fault. I could see sadness or disappointment, but anger?

ETA: Dylan seems to be struggling a bit with the lifts. Has Kirsten grown bigger?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. They are very much a Russian pair and have great lines and good quality to their skating. Their SBS jumps are always woefully out of unison though, and they don't really try to sell their programs at all. They're a little bit flat.

ITA. I can remember Bechke/Petrov skating to "Spartacus", and it was heartwrenching, with tender moments between then, then her begging him not to go and he resolute to join the fight. B/L could have been skating to Nutcracker, and they would have looked exactly the same.