23 46.94%
  • No

9 18.37%
  • I don't know

5 10.20%
  • I don't care

12 24.49%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is Ice Dancing hated so much???

Mrs. Roman Kostomarov icedancingnut31's Avatar

Why is Ice Dancing hated so much???

???
    Last edited by icedancingnut31; 09-09-2009 at 06:49 PM.

It's a fun post, but shouldn't it be in the "vote" section?

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

On Ice Dancing...

The issue I've had with Ice Dancing over the last several years is that the results have largely been pre-determined. I hope the new judging system as well as some "hopeful" cleanup over the last year could change that for me. But...if the top teams are the top teams, and will end up in a certain order no matter how they skate, then why watch the competition? That would be like *knowing* who's going to win the Superbowl.

I sincerely hope that situation is changing. Otherwise, the only reason for me to tune in would be for VERY entertaining commercials, which has not become part of televised ice skating *yet*.

DG

Procrastinating b/c of Worlds
    In the 8th Circle of Hell with Jamie Salé.
    "predetermined"??? I think the results have in fact been surprising, and are changing from event from event. 02 GPF, D&V medalled over FM&M, and come on, B&K won. I would hardly call that predetermined. Then at the Olys, I wouldn't say that was predetermined. L&A won bronze at Euros, but then was 4/5 split to win silver. B&K could have won bronze, but they fell on a simple cartwheel lift. Then worlds, ChaSaks won bronze with 3rd in the FD. Hardly expected. Then you have last season. DenSta were 4th at SC, but then won Bofrost. The were behind N&K at GPF, but were ahead at Worlds. There, B&K won. Hardly expected!

Explain again, how results have been largely "predetermined." I fail to see your logic in this.

TV

Up to the last couple of years or so the judging was predetermined. I have no proof but you could just see it. I think it was better last year or at least this year, so far. I do hope it improves. I guess we will just have to say that that is my opinion.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I don't think it's as predetermined as it was for a while; then again under the COP I found it extremely odd that despite the overhaul of the judging system, it was still pretty much the Usual Suspects on the medal podium. I do think Dance does tend to be the political dumping ground category, however. BUT in defense of the judges -- it's a HARD category to judge correctly. All those steps (in the compolsuries), in unison, at that speed, plus the style preferences in the free dance.....

Now as to why it's hated, I think there's a couple of reasons for that. First of all, it (basically) doesn't have all the spectactular jumps and wild technical tricks that hold a lot of spectator interest, especially in North America; European audiences tend to appreciate the nuances more. Secondly -- I think some of the best skating around is a really outstanding free dance. However, I haven't seen a really outstanding free dance in quite a few years. Part of this I blame on the rules and regulations over the last decade; we saw a lot of great stuff in the 80s but over the last several years everyone decided to imitate Anissina & Peizerat and do these overly flowing dramatic dances that basically all look alike. (I'm not knocking Anissina & Piezerat, they did a lot of great stuff, but the tendency was to imitate the style and not the substance). What ice dancing really needs right now is another Torvill & Dean or Duchesnay & Duchesnay to push the envelope and set the scene for some really exciting stuff again. Bourne & Kraatz were thisclose, but personally I found that as the years went on, their dances, tho well performed, got less and less interesting.

Custom Title
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've seen too many ridiculous, heavy-handed, what-the-hell-was-that dramatic dances. IMO, there have also been too many hideous, what-the-hell-were-they-thinking costumes and judgements.

I must admit, in my youth, I was permanently scarred by a program that had the woman repeatedly shooting her partner. I don't know how many times he threw himself on the ice and died. I just wanted him to stay down.
    Last edited by SusanBeth; 02-28-2004 at 05:59 AM.

Susanbeth ROFLMAO

How about some of B&B's programs? They put some scary characters out there!

Piel

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    I've only been watching Ice Dancing since the 2002 Olympics, and I've been playing catch up thanks to soulseek and rinkside.

I really enjoy Ice Dancing and think it does get underrated a lot of times. I also see people complain about the results being pre-determined, but I find myself agreeing with the judges' results most of the time.

Custom Woman
    ITA with JohnnyCoop that some of the finest skating around--edging, speed, deep soft knees, body line--can be found in great ice dance programs. But I think ice dancing is a conundrum in that it needs rules to be a sport yet too many rules can make it less interesting. Of course not enough rules and we get everything from ballroom dancing to Martha Graham on ice. So it's difficult to find the right balance. Then it has been verified that some judges conspired for a certain outcome at the '98 Olympics--it's on tape.

But ice dancing is also a very young sport, only about 25 years as an Olympic sport, not sure how long at Worlds. All sports go through growing pains but especially ones that have a lot of subjectivity to them, like ice dancing.

I also agree that it's more appreciated by Russians, Europeans, and Canadians than US and Japanese fans. Probably something in the national psyches and cultures. I love great ice dancing, but I come from a dance background. Even so, I've been at events where I've seen great ice dancing live and US audiences roar with approval when they see the real deal done well. Unfortunately, that's all too rare. But greatness should be rare, IMO. I guess people would be happy to see more "darn good" ice dancing. I think like anything else, it goes in cycles and right now with the Russian ice dancers losing dominance and no other country rushing to fill in, ice dancing is in a slump that happens to be in the middle of a general figure skating slump. At the '92 Olympics, ice dancing was one of the most exciting events and the choreography and performances of the top three teams were each riveting, artistic, and had both skill and depth. Kind of like great wines, I guess. Some years all the elements just work together and no one knows why.
    Rgirl

Medalist
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by SusanBeth
    [B]IMO, there have also been too many hideous, what-the-hell-were-they-thinking costumes and judgements.

Definitions of hideous: The horrid polka-dot dresses worn by Tanith Belbin & Naomi Lang.

Those may be the ugliest dresses I've ever seen in skating.

Eliza

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

LOL...

...that pic makes the polka dots look like Vera Wang.

DG

For me, it's not dancing.........it's seeing if you can out do each other in the "wrap my partner around my body" department. What's up with that? Basically, I just don't get it.........:( 42

Zhenya looks sexiest in a dress *wink*
    Those costumes aren't as bad as Emmanuel Sandhu's hot pink and black outfit! That was AWFUL.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    "Definitions of hideous: The horrid polka-dot dresses worn by Tanith Belbin & Naomi Lang."

I didn't see that much of Belbin's, but I did see Lang's, and I gotta say, that was quite a fashion statement. Said statement being "I didn't actually withdraw because I was injured, I withdrew because I actually wore this dress in public in a room with LIGHTS ON and am now so emberassed that I can't show my face for the rest of the season...." This is what happens when you shop at the Ukrainian team's yard sale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast