Country
United-States
I am absolutely traumatized by this!!! :cry:

That was so scary!!!!

sonora

On the Ice
I am absolutely traumatized by this!!! :cry:

That was so scary!!!!

It was the altitude sickness. Even Han Yan was out of breath and panted quite a bit before he pulled himself together to bow to the audience. Boyang did not seem to be bothered so much, though. Every body is different, indeed.

I have to say Zijun's stamina issue is the killer. She has the footwork, the spins and jumps but she really really needs the speed and energy. I almost wanted to get rocket boosters on her feet to help, ah!!!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Altitude sickness is pretty serious. I spent 3 weeks in Colorado at about 10,000-14,000ft depending on the activity and my buddy flew in a week later. We hiked him to about 13,000 feet and when we went to drop in on our snowboards he just fell over and got sick. He suffered vertigo and just plan fatigue from lack of oxygen. He should have waited a day or so to exercise that heavily. It was really scary because we were not somewhere that had ski patrol so we had to get him to safety ourselves. She had the exact same look in her eye that he did when they were helping her off. I've suffered from it mildly and even then it's very overwhelming. It's like an empty body sensation where breathing actually takes effort and the body has tingling sensations.

It's scary because she is so vibrant and cheerful in her Instagram photos. I do like the looks of her programs though and can't wait to see her perform them at full potential.

What was the altitude of this event if I may ask?

Last edited:

veneresplende

Rinkside
Altitude sickness is pretty serious. I spent 3 weeks in Colorado at about 10,000-14,000ft depending on the activity and my buddy flew in a week later. We hiked him to about 13,000 feet and when we went to drop in on our snowboards he just fell over and got sick. He suffered vertigo and just plan fatigue from lack of oxygen. He should have waited a day or so to exercise that heavily. It was really scary because we were not somewhere that had ski patrol so we had to get him to safety ourselves. She had the exact same look in her eye that he did when they were helping her off. I've suffered from it mildly and even then it's very overwhelming. It's like an empty body sensation where breathing actually takes effort and the body has tingling sensations.

It's scary because she is so vibrant and cheerful in her Instagram photos. I do like the looks of her programs though and can't wait to see her perform them at full potential.

What was the altitude of this event if I may ask?

I don't know the exact altitude, I think Zhang Hao said it was around 1600 meters? The venue is on a mountaintop or something like that. I saw pictures of a lot of the athletes taking oxygen while they were watching the competition.

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
:hopelessness: My heart just breaks for her. :slink:

Until the end of the free skate, I was left wondering what was wrong with her and if she had slacked off too much during off season. And then she falls after the finish, which is only when I realise there must have been something else too. :slink:

I really hope she bounces back from this. And I know I say this frequently with some of the skaters I like but I wish she could find someone like Orser or like some mentioned, a pairs coach. The improvement Elizabet Tursynbaeva is making under Orser is something I want for Zijun too considering how talented she is. :(

Warwick360

Medalist
And can someone tell me if this Nationals is THE NATIONALS which determine the world's and Olympics too during Olympics season or is this more like the Russian test skate?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
And can someone tell me if this Nationals is THE NATIONALS which determine the world's and Olympics too during Olympics season or is this more like the Russian test skate?

No it is not, the other Nationals is held at the end of December, they have domestic competitions throughout the year that are kind of referred to as Nationals in English

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^but it is also an important event to qualify for even more important event in the future such as nationals (worlds selection etc.).That is why every one attended this event. There is a skater, he injured himself badly during practice in this event, but still competed, because, he knows how important this event is for further qualification.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
So nice! Good luck to Li this season. I wonder if many skaters are choosing American Band music and Jazz/Blues numbers due to Worlds being in Boston?

xiangfuzi

On the Ice

Warwick360

Medalist
Really hoping she does well this season. I still hold much high expectation for her that has yet to be fulfilled. Her and Soyoun, both, for this season. :cry:

And I really hope she doesn't end up losing combinations and end up falling like she has recently. Because all I can now think of is this.... https://youtu.be/7FG3uWvFjJs?t=35s

Might make a good Exhibition if you ask me. :p

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Best of luck JunJun... Hope you thrive well at home... skate proudly score highly :)

Be Les 'Artiste' Chinoise :love:

Warwick360

Medalist
Zijun's SP score! Not impressed. Surely, she deserved more? Even with only a triple-double.
Her skating seems so much more refined.

Sam L

Medalist
She deserved more. But I just want her to keep improving. She could have a Shizuka like career. I'm still hopeful.

Sam L

Medalist
Can't stop watching the SP. Love the music, love the edges and the lines. Just classically beautiful figure skating.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
man....her LP looks alarmingly empty and she looks exhausted :no::scratch2:

does anyone know why?