Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mishin Slams Skating Judges

Custom Title
    Plushenko is the only one in the top 20 at the Olympics who got 5.00 in pcs so judges can be really harsh with him in pcs.

Custom Title
    Mishin is the new Inman

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Love the Russians, they are so honest!!

Worried about the Russians, they are too honest!!
    Yess, he is honest and he is right.But it is not only home favorities but name favorities too (Kim, Chan and Hanyu now)Mishin's students have never won with a poor skating or with 2 or 3 falls.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Welcome to Golden Skate, bojenskaya! Post long and often!

Does your id refer to the great gymnast Svetlana Bogenskaya?.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    Mishin is the new Inman
    Mishin just told his opinion in public. But that US judge committed a harmful act behind the curtain

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    odd choice of words. Plushy should have nothing to worry about
    If your opinion was a true, Plushy fans won't be worried forever. But unfortunately it isn't. Tell me when he won with a high PCS despite meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    Mishin is the new Inman
    Mishin is a coach. He can say whatever he likes and people will consider whether or not he is biased. Inman is a supposedly unbiased judge. As such, trying to draw attention to what he considers a skater's weakness shortly before the Olympics was completely inappropriate if not unethical.

Naturally he's still working as a skating official.

I agree with Mishin in general, and would add that the GOEs are also sometimes used to protect elite skaters. However, I do wish he hadn't picked on Mao specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Welcome to Golden Skate, bojenskaya! Post long and often!

Does your id refer to the great gymnast Svetlana Bogenskaya?.
    She was Boginskaya

I'm also curious - have most of you read the NHK Ladies' FP thread? Or is it only when "named" people say something, that it is wrong? Most people on that thread considered Akiko Suzuki to be the true winner of NHK - I have not participated in the discussion, but, for the record, so do I. And I love Mao.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    She was Boginskaya
    Exactly, she is Boginskaya.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Lol. My thoughts are pretty much what others have pointed out: there may well be some truth to the notion that the components score doesn't accurately reflect skill and that reputation counts (not necessarily time spent on the scene, but time spent winning medals). But...pretty ironic that someone in Plushy's camp is complaining about this.
    What is so ironic? Plushenko has never won a competition with multiple mistakes but held up only by PCS. I am in Plushy's camp, and I can say that with a proud face.
    Last edited by lilywang; 11-27-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilywang View Post
    What is so ironic? Plushenko has never won a competition with multiple mistakes but held up only by PCS. I am in Plushy's camp, and I can say that with a proud face.
    Well, Plush doesn't have the skating skills of let alone Patrick Chan, he can't even match most of his competitors like Daisuke, Kozuka, Jeremy Abbot, etc. etc so there is no way that he could ever have a chance at winning just based on PCS alone. What is being pointed out that he has gotten far higher PCS than he actually deserves in the past, mostly because of his legendary jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Well, Plush doesn't have the skating skills of let alone Patrick Chan, he can't even match most of his competitors like Daisuke, Kozuka, Jeremy Abbot, etc. etc so there is no way that he could ever have a chance at winning just based on PCS alone. What is being pointed out that he has gotten far higher PCS than he actually deserves in the past, mostly because of his legendary jumps.
    Can they compete with him when it comes to performance ability and charisma? PCS are not just based on skating skills, you know, and other than Dai, I would say the answer to my question is "absolutely not".

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Can they compete with him when it comes to performance ability and charisma? PCS are not just based on skating skills, you know, and other than Dai, I would say the answer to my question is "absolutely not".
    This always comes up, but if you read the definition of PCS very carefully, 'charisma' isn't listed as a criteria. I think PCS basically is just skating skills as they are displayed through the choreography and through how much you embody the music through the full use of your body as you skate. That's why Patrick Chan last season, without showing too much charisma, got great PCS scores in all of the categories. I would say the one element that seems to measure charima in PCS definition is 'projection', which is one bullet point out of six in P/E. So if charisma figures in PCS at all, it is minimal.

I think if you are a charismatic skater, you get a whole legion of fans like Dai does, but that's not why Dai gets the PCS that he does. At least, it shouldn't. No one should get more PCS for the amount of 'charisma' they display.

Incidentally, while I think Plushenko has charisma, I don't think too much of his performance ability. His body language is too frenetic for me to see him as a great performer. I think his knees and back are too injured for him to shift his center of gravity with the kind of fluidity that is required to 'perform' well. I much prefer Gachinski (when he is on) as a performer. And Gachinski doesn't have much charisma.
    Last edited by hurrah; 11-27-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Plushenko may have different style of skating, that does not mean his skating skills are not good. Maybe Chan is better but Plushenko has top level SS, period.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast