Hugh Jackman comments on Yuna Kim's FS "Les Miserables" choice | Golden Skate

Hugh Jackman comments on Yuna Kim's FS "Les Miserables" choice

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Hugh Jackman comments on Yuna Kim's FS "Les Miserables" choice

Hugh Jackman is in Seoul promoting his new movie "Les Miserables" and of course a reporter asks him to comment Yuna Kims FS choice.

Obviously, Jackman has no idea who she is... but he said some nice words:
http://youtu.be/-ghM-RbUMXc

Grrr... The movie is first released in Denmark on 21 March 2013. I don't think I can't wait that long :scowl:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I posted the link on the Yu-Na fan thread. Actually, I thought he handled it quite well.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good on ya, Hugh. :)

Actually, I wonder if he knows how beautiful Yu-na is. She should be in the movies. :yes:

noskates

Record Breaker
First of all, I'm so glad YuNa is coming back. She is truly a beautiful woman. And I have to say that Les Mis is one of my favorite pieces of music. I think Jeremy Abbott's LP is stunning. Interested to see what YuNa does with it.

emma

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see the movie; but more on topic, I really can't wait to see what Yu Na does with this and what cuts of the score she uses.

cooper

Medalist
How nice for hugh. he was very polite about it. Sometimes I really can't stand the korean media.

MiRé

Match Penalty
How nice for hugh. he was very polite about it. Sometimes I really can't stand the korean media.

I don't think the media said anything negative about hugh.... I don't know where you're getting that from :unsure:

cooper

Medalist
I don't think the media said anything negative about hugh.... I don't know where you're getting that from :unsure:

I wasn't referring to hugh. I'm talking about the korean media in general. I don't know why they have to ask Hugh about yuna (he doesn't know who she is). It's just embarrassing. He was just promoting his movie. If there's a little connection about yuna, I won't be surprised if they will ask the pope next after all she's a catholic! *sarcasm ends.*:rolleye:

Last edited:

MiRé

Match Penalty
I wasn't referring to hugh. I'm talking about the korean media in general. I don't know why they have to ask Hugh about yuna (he doesn't know who she is). It's just embarrassing. He was just promoting his movie. If there's a little connection about yuna, I won't be surprised if they will ask the pope next after all she's a catholic! *sarcasm ends.*:rolleye:

yeah I get your point, but every media in general would do that. And Yuna is performing with Les Miserables song, and since Yuna is really popular in Korea, and many of her fans really want to see her new program, maybe media couldn't hold back but ask him questions about her =P

in the end though, I do agree korean media do go on more details. I see korean news all the time, and I sometimes think to myself if it's necessary to point every little things out. For example, korean media would write an article about Yuna's new haircut which I think it's completely unnecessary :laugh:

suzukifan27

Match Penalty

It just reflects that the country as a whole still lacks of confidence. Yu Na Kim is NOT the centre of the universe, not even close.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It just reflects that the country as a whole still lacks of confidence. Yu Na Kim is NOT the centre of the universe, not even close.

I don't know if it's a lack of confidence, but rather just a reflection of how Korean media works relative to other countries. As someone that enjoys K-Pop and K-Dramas, it fascinates me how fanatical the Korean media can be sometime toward its celebrities and athletics. Pretty much every move of a celebrity is reported and even the reaction of netizens toward those celebrities are even noted! Like when there's a major scandal, a lot of the reporting is on rumors/reactions made by local people. It would be like Sports Illustrated citing Golden Skate posters during the Tonya/Nancy incident (if it happened today).

MiRé

Match Penalty

I can't help but to say........this is just an interview and bringing up Yu-na may be unnecessary, but it does relate because of what she'll perform next month. And how does korean media reflect the country as a whole? I think you have more of personal feelings towards Korea than the media itself. So I ask you to keep that to yourself. Not only does that make you look ignorant, it also causes arguments and unnecessary comments from other people. And you're right Yuna is definitely not the centre of the universe. NO one is actually.... and I'm pretty sure Yuna never said she's the "centre" of the universe.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In fact, I think there's so much to admire about S. Korea. You have to consider the fact that they basically built their country and economy in its current state in just the last 20-25 years. Samsung and Hyundai are big names now, but in the 1980s, they were much smaller family companies.

I think if anything, Yuna Kim represents an example of someone who rose through the ranks through hard work and persistence. I mean consider before Yuna Kim came along there really wasn't anyone who was able to break out in the world scene. So I say it's just national pride and their media tends to show that in their reporting and it can even influence things. For example, when Psy's Gangnam Style started blowing up, so did the stock for his father's company!

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Not sure if this is the same video I saw, but in the press conference I saw, Hugh Jackman obviously knew Yuna... he was talking about Yuna winning another gold medal and the fact that she would be skating soon (he appeared to know more than the reporter themselves :laugh:) Anyway, this movie looks to be awesome from what i hear. And the fact that it closely coincides with Yuna's debut, is just :yay::yay::yay:

Evgenia

Rinkside
Hugh Jackman is in Seoul promoting his new movie "Les Miserables" and of course a reporter asks him to comment Yuna Kims FS choice.

Obviously, Jackman has no idea who she is... but he said some nice words:
http://youtu.be/-ghM-RbUMXc

I wonder why they asked Hugh about Yuna.. It makes me feel somehow embarrassed. I am sure Yuna also feels like me :eek::

Anyway can't wait to see her comeback next month. Good luck to Yuna :rock:

Last edited:

szidon

On the Ice
Not sure if this is the same video I saw, but in the press conference I saw, Hugh Jackman obviously knew Yuna... he was talking about Yuna winning another gold medal and the fact that she would be skating soon (he appeared to know more than the reporter themselves :laugh:) Anyway, this movie looks to be awesome from what i hear. And the fact that it closely coincides with Yuna's debut, is just :yay::yay::yay:

Hugh Jackman already knew about Yuna. It's obvious in the video clip.

Plus, commenting about Yuna in the press conference was a great opportunity even for Hugh and Cameron Mackintosh to call much more Koreans' attention to Les Misérables. That's because Koreans tend to be very interested in every story involved in Yuna. I think Hugh is much more savvier about media than some people in this thread.

Last edited:
How sweet of him! I do hope she could get some more inspiration for her lp after watching this movie. Only ten days to go for her comeback, can't wait:yay::party2::party: