Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What's a Connection? Discussion inspired by NHK FD Thread.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That's a very important point, chuckm, that helps to understand the scoring.

And it does bring up a question. When viewing connection in that light, I would say that Meryl and Charlie's connection to polka music, is one of the very best of this year where "Polka" is the main requirement for the SD, Consequently, when considering this definition of connection, I'd be hard pressed to say they didn't have a really good connection. What do the rest of you think?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Now let's add a complication.

When people refer to "connection" vis-a-vis pairs and dance skating, they generally refer to a romantic connection between two people. Of course not always, but generally I think that is the case. So, where do a brother/sister team figure into this discussion?

Another direction to consider. In the movie "The Turning Point," all about ballet dancers, a choreographer tells the up-and-coming baby ballerina (and I'm paraphrasing here since it's been a long time since I watched the movie), "You're not playing some uptight village virgin in this; you're just a body moving to music. You just dance." Is such a program possible in the conservative world of figure skating? Or would people complain of the lack of "connection" between the skaters?
    Glad you asked.

Seriously though, Maia and Alex definitely do have a connection. It's quite hard to explain it. I think it's the fact they have been in partnership so long there's sort of an intuition between the two and that is shown in their dancing.

It's actually most apparent to me when they are going through a tough time, like when Alex was injured at COR during their FD:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jM-TAIDeZI You can tell Maia was trying to overcompensate in her performance to perk Alex up so he could get through his pain and you can tell Alex persisted because of that willingness by Maia to get him through the FD and in the end, I think you can see tell the audience (and the Italian commentators for that matter) were quite touched by their persistence and unity.

When they are happy, however, that connection shows also -- best example, I think is from their 2011 Nationals performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJJI8xkgG90 There's a warmness to their dance that is clearly extended to the audience, who gave a standing ovation. (Doris was there, maybe she could explain more?)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    And their timing is so wonderful, that if they are not in physical trouble (Alex at CoR or 4CC's) that they are always connected to the music.

And then there are the Duchesnays.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    That's a very important point, chuckm, that helps to understand the scoring.

And it does bring up a question. When viewing connection in that light, I would say that Meryl and Charlie's connection to polka music, is one of the very best of this year where "Polka" is the main requirement for the SD, Consequently, when considering this definition of connection, I'd be hard pressed to say they didn't have a really good connection. What do the rest of you think?
    I totally agree. I feel so lucky I got to see that live! There was definitely a unified lightness and coordination in that dance that definitely brought the audience in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPZTL...eature=related

Here's a photo my husband took: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...24812142_o.jpg

They just look so at ease with each other --- you have to have a connection to be at such ease, I'd say.

skating philosopher
    And their timing is so wonderful, that if they are not in physical trouble (Alex at CoR or 4CC's) that they are always connected to the music.

Yes, their FD was a lot better at NHK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7cklWiLb-w

I like how every movement, be it their arms, legs or lifts are timed perfectly to the music. And I do like they are a lot more introspective, though still have that warmness as well. The audience clearly felt connected to them -- they got a partial standing o for the dance. You could say it's because it's a Japanese crowd....but I think they just felt connected.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    The connection MUST be to the music, but CAN be to each other.
    I think connection to music is the minimum MUST. On top of connection to music AND add on creating the connection to each other really bring the couple to the next level. Husband and wife, involved couple teams do have the advantage over other teams for intimacy (no acting required). I wonder what Charlie and Tenith team will look like even with Meryl probably a better skater.
    Last edited by fwsf; 11-27-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Custom Title
    LOL well I did sort of loft that one to you, Mrs P. Glad to see you hit a slam return...
    :D

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    LOL well I did sort of loft that one to you, Mrs P. Glad to see you hit a slam return...
    :D
    Can I say how touched I am for your effort to loft questions my way. Awww.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fwsf View Post
    I think connection to music is the minimum MUST. On top of connection to music AND add on creating the connection to each other really bring the couple to the next level. Husband and wife, involved couple teams do have the advantage over other teams for intimacy (no acting required). I wonder what Charlie and Tenith team will look like even with Meryl probably a better skater.
    Actually when I took that acting class one thing we all learned very quickly is that it isn't necessarily enough to *feel* any particular emotion. The real test is the ability to SHOW it. Charlie may be head over heels in love with Tanith and still have a hard time showing that emotion within a performance context.

skating philosopher

How about the Kerrs (previously) or the Reeds?

Banned
    Just asking - why this thread named What's a Connection?
    Its look more like "Lets take about Meryl an Charlie are best team in the World" Or "Try to try down there main rivals"
    Sorry, but i think we could find much more examples of good connetion, then this If we want to discuss connection, but not made D-W ubers thread

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by cleoc View Post
    Its look more like "Lets take about Meryl an Charlie are best team in the World" Or "Try to try down there main rivals"
    Sorry, but i think we could find much more examples of good connetion, then this If we want to discuss connection, but not made D-W ubers thread
    There's quite a bit of discussion regarding Tessa and Scott as well. And I just spent some times explaining sibling connection. If it's heavy on Meryl and Charlie it's because the initial discussion was about whether Meryl and Charlie have any connection....and it went from there.

I think we are having a lovely discussion, so why not join us and tell us your view on things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    There's quite a bit of discussion regarding Tessa and Scott as well. And I just spent some times explaining sibling connection. If it's heavy on Meryl and Charlie it's because the initial discussion was about whether Meryl and Charlie have any connection....and it went from there.

I think we are having a lovely discussion, so why not join us and tell us your view on things.
    Yes, i read about Tessa is too big thats why they didnt have connection
    Sorry, but why to discuss connection on D-W example? I mean they never had this, but they go over this and made there style - to use a lot off speed and big music and triks. Honestly this work really good for them, because you couldt have time to notice how Charlie looking at Meryl, beasue they need to run too fast to there next element. And big music get attention over what they are doing on ice. They coudnt use too mane skating in dance postition, because they need to save speed. But this look very impressive "live". And they never try something new and there bodies move alwayse the same. But this payed-off to them, which is great.

If you want really talk about connection i think its better to talk about W-P. And for me its look like all teams in DSC work hard on connection and i could see results of this work. Maybe they are working with actors.
    And they main thing in V-M - there connection with any kind of music an with each other.
    W-P had such great connection with music and each other in last seaon FD. Hope they will add something in this season FD before Nationals, wich made this FD look better.
    I think to talk about good connection on Shibs example look werid, no?
    Last edited by cleoc; 11-27-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cleoc View Post
    Go back a few messages and see my post on the CoP definitions of "connection".
    Connection to the MUSIC and the AUDIENCE are CoP requirements, but an emotional connection between the dancers is NOT a requirement. V/M fans rave over the connection between Tessa and Scott, and as lovely as that may be, that kind of connection is not among the criteria for awarding PCS points.
    Last edited by chuckm; 11-27-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Go back a few messages and see my post on the CoP definitions of "connection".
    Connection to the MUSIC and the AUDIENCE are CoP requirements, but an emotional connection between the dancers is NOT a requirement. V/M fans rave over the connection between Tessa and Scott, and as lovely as that may be, that kind of connection is not among the criteria for awarding PCS points.
    Yes, but the title is about connection, so. Why we talikng about D-W and V-M fans? Like i said befre- this thread need to have anther title, thats all

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast