Ashley Wagner | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I see Gracie's still wearing her bronze medal from Sochi. I don't think I have ever seen an athlete still wearing their medal a year after the fact!

lyndichee

Medalist
That's not really true; check out the scoresheet from the GPF. Aside from Ashley's UR salchow combo, their GOEs are comparable across the board, identical in some places (3-3 combo, StSq, ChSq). Elena has higher GOE on spins and the 3F, but Ashley had higher GOEs on the 3Lz and 2A. Heck, if Ashley had gotten level 4s on her spins, her BV would only have been a point less than Elena's, even with an UR jump.

Now, trying to beat Liza's GOEs, on the other hand...

I guess I was looking more at their laybacks. I wish that Ashley would add a layback to her free since she can easily hit the level 4 spin there.

Its probably really unrealistic to think Ashley will win, but I'm just sitting here hoping. :laugh: I've always felt the Russians in general are always over-scored.. so I just really want Ashley to beat them hahaha

Yeah the inflation for the scores are crazy. Elena is overscored more as her landings are starting to get really scratchy. Eliza though, I truly believe she deserves to be the front runner.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adam and Ashley are BFFs, but not a couple (I believe he prefers men).

Anyway, I saw Ashley perform tonight at NYC's Bryant Park for the Special Olympics event. She skated to "Love Me Harder" in 20 degree weather wearing her EX costume. She did not do any jumps tonight. She looked great and confident as usual and I give her credit for skating in that skimpy costume.

Johnny Weir and Denney/Frazier also performed and wowed the crowd.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I thought Ashley and Adam were together. They went to Hawaii and looked very much together. Why would she say this on twitter?

To my soulmate: I'm always with you @Adaripp. I love you to the moon and back and GO FOR IT! #NC2015

I'm confused.

They're best friends. :cool: Adam plays for the other team I believe.

Scovies

Final Flight
I thought Ashley and Adam were together. They went to Hawaii and looked very much together. Why would she say this on twitter?

To my soulmate: I'm always with you @Adaripp. I love you to the moon and back and GO FOR IT! #NC2015

I'm confused.

Ashley and Adam are best friends. Not to speculate too much on someone's personal life, but it may be that Ashley is not Adam's... uh, "type," if you catch my drift. ;)

Warwick360

Medalist
Ashley and Adam are best friends. Not to speculate too much on someone's personal life, but it may be that Ashley is not Adam's... uh, "type," if you catch my drift. ;)

Took the words out of my mouth. Was googling ashley recently, and lo and behold I saw a media rag purporting that Wagner and Rippon were dating. :laugh2:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Yeah. Its all speculation with Adam. Lets try and stay away from his off ice life until we get more reliable news.

Getting back into Ashley, do you think she can get that clear outside edge on the lutz by Worlds?
Its going to be hard to undo a habit.

Scovies

Final Flight
Yeah. Its all speculation with Adam. Lets try and stay away from his off ice life until we get more reliable news.

Getting back into Ashley, do you think she can get that clear outside edge on the lutz by Worlds?

If not a clear outside lutz, I think she's at least gotten it down to an unclear edge call, which isn't nearly as bad for her scores. At TEB, she got a (!) call (for a jump at the end of her program when she was sick, and she tried to throw a 3T on the end of it because she'd missed her combo previously), and then no call at the GPF. So that's two international competitions in a row without an (e) call. I think it's a pretty impressive improvement for her in the space of a few months, considering she'd been an obvious flutzer for years. I didn't see any flutzing from her at nationals, but a couple of times she could have gotten called for a flat takeoff edge.

I was excited to see that she posted this on her Twitter last night. Shae-Lynn mentioned in her TSL interview that she wanted to get another chance to work with Ashley to fine-tine her FS, and now she has! Maybe we'll see a few more transitions in Shanghai?

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice

She has been doing much better with it this season, and there was a recent interview with her where she talks about that. Here's to hoping she gets it done for Worlds so she can win a medal!!

Meoima

Match Penalty
This season is so open for all the ladies, maybe Ashley can finally make it! :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
;) well Yuna did use a lot of crossovers but she still won a lot.

Thats true, but Yuna was the queen so it didnt matter ;)

And in Ashley's own words on an NBC fluff piece "i'm the girl a couple of doors down"

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think her freeskate is fine... :slink: It's her short program that's a little empty. I wish she'd add a split jump or something during the first musical crescendo.

But regardless of the programs, I'm feeling quite confident about Ashley's chances at Worlds. Imagine if she skated last in the free, completely blew the roof off, after Liza and Elena were already perfect... :love: I'd be very curious to see how the judges would score them in that scenario.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. As much as I love how much her Moulin Rouge has evolved, Spartacus is just not a very interesting program to me. I thought Adam did a nice job with Mirai's programs but was disappointed in how Ashley's turned out.

lyndichee

Medalist
I agree Spartacus needs work. Not only do some parts feel empty but the choreography doesn't match the music that well. Some of the crescendos just seem boring.

Shae-Lynn and Ashley are honestly such a dream team for me, I love Moulin Rouge so much.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
;) well Yuna did use a lot of crossovers but she still won a lot.

Yeah but Yuna got a lot of speed out of her crossovers so while she did a lot, she's really got a "bang for her buck"

Ashley not much but she can work on it later

Honestly, I think her freeskate is fine... :slink: It's her short program that's a little empty. I wish she'd add a split jump or something during the first musical crescendo.

But regardless of the programs, I'm feeling quite confident about Ashley's chances at Worlds. Imagine if she skated last in the free, completely blew the roof off, after Liza and Elena were already perfect... :love: I'd be very curious to see how the judges would score them in that scenario.

The free skate doesn't really have any empty moments but I agree the SP really needs to be worked on, she really doesn't capitalize on the music, the climax especially when she does the spread eagle, put a jump there! It's that easy =(

As for that scenario I would love to see how the judges score her too, she'll get higher PCS probably but I'm not sure about the technical side

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I feel like I'm the only one here who loves her SP this year :slink:
Honestly, the choreo might not be the best, but she SELLS it. That's what I love about her!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I feel like I'm the only one here who loves her SP this year :slink:
Honestly, the choreo might not be the best, but she SELLS it. That's what I love about her!
I like it as well. It builds with the music and then it peaks with the spread eagle - 3f - spread eagle - split jump sequence (nice!). So you might call it empty in the beginning, but not after the 2A.