Ashley Wagner | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, she really owns that program! Love it. Can hardly wait to see in in competition! Not sure about the costume though... but it's so good to see her really confident.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I don't think that's gonna be her actual competition dress because she wore that dress all summer for shows. The competition dress is probably not even done yet. But I LOVE this program! Her speed looks better, her jumps were solid and her spins look faster! Can't wait to see what the season holds for Miss Ash!!

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's encouraging about the dress. I don't know the specific rules, but was wondering if that costume would pass muster. That's an awful lot of skin showing for a costume... Ahhh so excited to see this program in competition!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so excited for this week-end to see Ms. Ashley skate her two programs at the Japan Open. :cheer:

And at the same time I'm wondering why she didn't compete in some B programs. :slink: I (not the only one) felt that would be a big boost to her confidence, and of course dealing with competition nerves. Can anyone enlighten me as to this?

No matter ... Ashley has turned into one of my absolute favorite skaters to watch. I get this thrill of excitement, because her artistry just takes a performance way up a couple of levels.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No idea why Ashley isn't doing the Senior B circuit. IIRC, she did say a few months ago that she wanted to take the Liza T route to get her competiton nerves under control. Whatever the reason, could be scheduling, maybe Rafa decided against it given she was doing a few shows and not training enough.

I think TSL interviewed her this past weekend, so hopefully they will address that when the interview is released.

Excited to see Ashley at JO, and hope her outing this time is more successful than last year!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now I can look forward to the new TSL interview, too. Loved the previous one. '

I guess training time would be a good reason to not compete, and if it was Raf, he seems to know what he's doing, with Ashley. But in an article written about the differences between American training and Russian training, he said something like he can't teach her to compete in only two years. So I'd have thought he'd encourage more competitions this year.

One of the most intriguing comments of hers I read in the past year was that with Raf, she feels like she has stability for the first time in her life. She was addressing always being the new girl because of her military father moving the family around.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I'm catching up on JO and I was majorly impressed by Ashley. I was never a fan before, but this program suits her very well. Her expression of music was great, in my opinion she's more of a dramatic, powerful skater than a delicate flower skater and this program showed her off marvelously.

That said, the costume needs to be changed to something that better expresses her power and the darkish nature of music. More covered and darker in color.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so happy to see your remarks about Ashley and her Moulin Rouge program. I became her fan for the first time last year for exactly the reasons you stated. There's such depth of emotion, musicality and expressiveness in Ashley that, for me at least, hadn't been discovered before. Her performance at U.S. Nationals was electrifying, and I was so honored to be part of the live audience.

I like your idea of a costume in a somewhat darker tone. The red dress was marvelous last year with her hair blonde, but I have reservations about the red color with her new hair color, also red. I'm looking forward to changes they (plan to) make in the program for GP season, since I'm so familiar with it from watching it so many times now.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

thank you for the link, sunnystars! I watched it a few days ago, and she answered my question. Since she's one of the few self-supporting skaters, she had to do a lot of shows over the summer to keep money coming in, so they created her training schedule around that. That didn't leave time for competitions, and it's also the reason they kept the Moulin Rouge program.

Everyone was hoping she'd do better at Japan Open than last year, and she definitely did! In the interview afterward, I thought she had a really good attitude, celebrating what she did right and planning to build on that as the season progresses. Go Ashley!:cheer:

desertskates

Medalist
A big thanks from me, too! I really enjoyed the interview and look forward to watching Ashley's season progress knowing what her true mindset is and what she expects from herself. I have her picked to win Skate Canada in the predictions game, I think she can do it!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Yay, Wagner finally found a home. I was starting to get a little worried there! ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Go Ashley! Rotate those jumps and sell, sell, sell the program like I saw you do in Stars on Ice. :love: