Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lipnitskaia withdraws from GPF: Gao takes slot

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Really? And here I thought it was Kimmie and Caroline back in 2007. I guess I was wrong!
    Well Rachael didn't exactly had the skate of her life there (read: bad), so it makes sense if you didn't remember it.

Custom Title
    At least Lipnistkaia did the right thing which is more than I can say about other skaters who waited and waited and essentially did not allow someone else the chance. I know people will say that it wasn't done on purpose but..whatever.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    Nationals will be at 24-28 Dec 2012. So she has more than three weeks before Nationals.

This season Nationals are not very important for her - she may not be qualified to Eiro and Worlds because she is too young for ISU championships.
    More imporant are Junior Nationals 31 Jan - 03 Feb 2013 to qualify to Junior Worlds.

So let she fully restores.

At 2010/2011 she withdrawh from Junior Nationals because of illness. So may be.

What a bad season for Julia!
    Injury at start of season, injury before TEB (minor injury, but just before Event), and now this ...
    FSGMT said that if Julia stops training for the recommended 2 weeks, THEN she will have only 10 days of training before Nationals. (So, yes, there are three weeks until Russian Nationals, but two of those will be no training, leaving only one plus a few days.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Well Rachael didn't exactly had the skate of her life there (read: bad), so it makes sense if you didn't remember it.
    Unfortunately, Lipnitskaya suffered concussion after a fall in practice:-

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/201...633449572.html

This is Julia's third injury in 6 months. I think she should just take a good long break to recover. Nationals will come too soon, and just as Liza T did last season, there is no point in going back into juniors. Hence, best just to start afresh next season.
    Last edited by Mao88; 11-30-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Neither did Meissner in 2007...both were craptastic which was kind of too bad.

Here's hoping neither Wagner nor Gao finish last here.

Gao is in a perfect position. All she has to do is relax and skate her two programs. If others skate well and Gao finishes last, so what? If she doesn't, good for her.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Realistic predictions would say Gao finishes last. She has the least amount of clout and the personal best she has shown so far in her career has been lower than all of the other ladies going to the GPF. Doesn't really matter, though, it's a good experience for her.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Neither did Meissner in 2007...both were craptastic which was kind of too bad.

Here's hoping neither Wagner nor Gao finish last here.
    No, but Kimmie was reigning World Champion. I guess that is why I remembered.

Very excited for Christina though!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    No, but Kimmie was reigning World Champion. I guess that is why I remembered.
    Not at the time. That was Ando. She was reigning US champion, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Realistic predictions would say Gao finishes last. She has the least amount of clout and the personal best she has shown so far in her career has been lower than all of the other ladies going to the GPF. Doesn't really matter, though, it's a good experience for her.
    Personal bests are the best....until they're not.

Seriously though, I say we will see. I don't think she'll be close to the podium, but I think she can be in the mix to not finish last.

And heck, did anyone predict that she would be in the GPF in the first place (or anywhere close to it?!).

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    At least Lipnistkaia did the right thing which is more than I can say about other skaters who waited and waited and essentially did not allow someone else the chance. I know people will say that it wasn't done on purpose but..whatever.
    This actually did occur to me too...

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    This actually did occur to me too...
    Figured it would come up. That said, no point of beating around the bush and no point of rehashing Rachael Flatt's tibiagate-- she's already out for the season, so that should suffice for those of you who do not care for her or feel she still needs to pay for her skating sins.

That said, I'm not sure if concussion is the same as tibia injury, however. I get the feeling if her doctor didn't tell her she couldn't skate at all or her coach didn't stop her, she would still compete, FWIW.

(Not aiming at this at you tulosai, just pointing out that I'm not surprised somebody would bring this up.)

I think it is mild concussion. I can tell you a fractured tibia feels like you broke your knee cap)I fractured my Tibial plateu in my bedroon when on sleep med Ambien-all bad stuff but ...when you need to sleep. Anyway, The tibia fracture should have had her in a leg cast and off it. Flatt is gutsy and so competitive.

I'm not happy because I don't know if Julia is hurt, and I was wanting to see the showdown between Liza and Julia, but I am this year become a Gao fan. Her skating competitions have gotten better, maybe because she made a mental shift to student and not "american skater looking for Olympic berth."

Nationals should be great, and I am so glad we have two entries for GPF. Gao has come a long way. She might pull a Paul Wylie some day!
    Last edited by skateluvr; 11-30-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Custom Title
    I bet Gao is tickled that she decided not to retire this past summer! Looks like a change of scenery made a big difference (in several ways). She's looked wonderful this early in the season already.

Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
    I bet Gao is tickled that she decided not to retire this past summer! Looks like a change of scenery made a big difference (in several ways). She's looked wonderful this early in the season already.
    It's been a great year for the Skating Club of Boston between Gao's SA medal/GPF berth and Ross and Castelli/Shnapir getting bronze at NHK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast