Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Candle wax removal

Candle wax removal

You folks are the smartest people I know. Here goes.
    Let’s say that you got candle wax on the top of your speakers, dresser and stereo equipment. “Darn” you say. And you go off to the shop to make nice varnished wood protectors that go under the candle holders. But you kinda of would like to remove the old wax. It is very labor intensive to scrap it off so you don’t hurt the wood, etc. What is the fastest safest way to remove wax from nice wood finishes and metal? The web talks of heat, cold, etc but other than buying a heat gun like a hair dryer and using that, does anyone have any other, quicker ideas?
    Chris whose wife put his hair dryer in a dog tracking judge's wet boot and he hasnt replaced it yet.

Custom Title
    Can't wait to hear the answer to this one!

Yeah, I dont really expect anyone has a magic bullet here, Olympia. I think I will end up buying a new hair dryer.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Can't wait to hear the answer to this one!

have you joined pinterest? they might have something (if not I'll look up solutions for ya)

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    If it were me, I would take an old credit card and would be very careful at trying to lift the wax off. I know how to get it out of material but with wood, I wouldn't try it the same way. I also would be careful with heat on the wood. I don't think it would take that much time to try and remove the way I suggested.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://voices.yahoo.com/how-remove-c...e-7439392.html

That's kind of what these people suggest, in addition to other things.

When you're done scraping with the credit card, you could try some furniture polishes that claim to help keep polish buildup down. I might try one of those because polishes are quite often wax based.

Custom Title
    This worked on my wood floor: Take a white washcloth and lay it over the wax and then iron the washcloth, the wax melts and is absorbed by the wash cloth.

What iron setting did you use? Steam or not?

Interesting ideas....I do hesitate to use the iron as if I get one molucule of wax on the iron my wife will let me know about it.
    The furnuature polish sounds interesting.....

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    This worked on my wood floor: Take a white washcloth and lay it over the wax and then iron the washcloth, the wax melts and is absorbed by the wash cloth.
    I wouldn't use this method on furniture unless I did a inconspicuous spot check to see if it left watermarks. I wouldn't use any water on furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    The furnuature polish sounds interesting.....
    Make sure you get all the wax off or you'll just spread & smear the wax on the furniture.

I'm assuming the washcloth goes on the wax, and the iron goes on the washcloth, thus not touching the wax.

But trying it on something inconspicuous? Always a great idea.

Hey Doris! Would you do me a favor? Drip some way on a counter top and put a wash cloth over it and set your iron down on top of it and see if any of the way comes up through the cloth. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm assuming the washcloth goes on the wax, and the iron goes on the washcloth, thus not touching the wax.

But trying it on something inconspicuous? Always a great idea.

I would...but what is that candle of which you speak which produces wax? My emergency lights are kerosene lamps and LED flashlights

You probably could get a flatiron you could bear to ruin (or not) at the Good Will...

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I would...but what is that candle of which you speak which produces wax? My emergency lights are kerosene lamps and LED flashlights

You probably could get a flatiron you could bear to ruin (or not) at the Good Will...
    Not a bad idea...and they let you plug things in there to see if they work. I used to stow kerosene lamps but then I asked myself how badly did I want to knock over one during a power outage and set my house on fire.
    I will stick with my LED lanterns, headlamps and the holy grail of flashlites, the Techlite 200, three pak for under $20 at Costco.

There is a reason that kerosene lamps go on the mantelpiece and not on the coffee table

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast