Candle wax removal | Golden Skate

Candle wax removal

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
You folks are the smartest people I know. Here goes.
Let’s say that you got candle wax on the top of your speakers, dresser and stereo equipment. “Darn” you say. And you go off to the shop to make nice varnished wood protectors that go under the candle holders. But you kinda of would like to remove the old wax. It is very labor intensive to scrap it off so you don’t hurt the wood, etc. What is the fastest safest way to remove wax from nice wood finishes and metal? The web talks of heat, cold, etc but other than buying a heat gun like a hair dryer and using that, does anyone have any other, quicker ideas?
Chris whose wife put his hair dryer in a dog tracking judge's wet boot and he hasnt replaced it yet.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
have you joined pinterest? they might have something (if not I'll look up solutions for ya)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it were me, I would take an old credit card and would be very careful at trying to lift the wax off. I know how to get it out of material but with wood, I wouldn't try it the same way. I also would be careful with heat on the wood. I don't think it would take that much time to try and remove the way I suggested.

DaveT

On the Ice
This worked on my wood floor: Take a white washcloth and lay it over the wax and then iron the washcloth, the wax melts and is absorbed by the wash cloth.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Interesting ideas....I do hesitate to use the iron as if I get one molucule of wax on the iron my wife will let me know about it.:slink:
The furnuature polish sounds interesting.....

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This worked on my wood floor: Take a white washcloth and lay it over the wax and then iron the washcloth, the wax melts and is absorbed by the wash cloth.

I wouldn't use this method on furniture unless I did a inconspicuous spot check to see if it left watermarks. I wouldn't use any water on furniture.

Chris said:
The furnuature polish sounds interesting.....

Make sure you get all the wax off or you'll just spread & smear the wax on the furniture.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm assuming the washcloth goes on the wax, and the iron goes on the washcloth, thus not touching the wax.

But trying it on something inconspicuous? Always a great idea.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey Doris! Would you do me a favor? Drip some way on a counter top and put a wash cloth over it and set your iron down on top of it and see if any of the way comes up through the cloth. Thanks!
I'm assuming the washcloth goes on the wax, and the iron goes on the washcloth, thus not touching the wax.

But trying it on something inconspicuous? Always a great idea.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would...but what is that candle of which you speak which produces wax? My emergency lights are kerosene lamps and LED flashlights :laugh:

You probably could get a flatiron you could bear to ruin (or not) at the Good Will...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would...but what is that candle of which you speak which produces wax? My emergency lights are kerosene lamps and LED flashlights :laugh:

You probably could get a flatiron you could bear to ruin (or not) at the Good Will...
Not a bad idea...and they let you plug things in there to see if they work. I used to stow kerosene lamps but then I asked myself how badly did I want to knock over one during a power outage and set my house on fire.
I will stick with my LED lanterns, headlamps and the holy grail of flashlites, the Techlite 200, three pak for under $20 at Costco.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There is a reason that kerosene lamps go on the mantelpiece and not on the coffee table :laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Value Village didnt have any hair dryers for sale, nor irons.....will keep looking! Might even buy a new hair drier
Second hand Chris

rvi5

On the Ice
Ski wax remover may work for trace amounts once the bulk is scraped off. I don't know exactly what is in it, but it has a citric odour. Probably lemon based. I have used it in the past when I was waxing my own skis. Works well for that purpose, don't know if candle wax is different.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ski wax remover may work for trace amounts once the bulk is scraped off. I don't know exactly what is in it, but it has a citric odour. Probably lemon based. I have used it in the past when I was waxing my own skis. Works well for that purpose, don't know if candle wax is different.
Hmmmm.....never knew there was such a critter....we always use scrappers.....anyway, my new 8 buck hair drier should show up anyday now.