Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tonight's the Night!!! - Holiday Festival on Ice (Langley)

Custom Title
    That sounds so phenomenal. I'm so glad you got to go to both the show and the meet and greet. Thanks so much for telling us about it.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    That often means there may be a Holiday special on Canadian TV

In which case, videos will eventually be posted, perhaps.
    Per SOI website:
    The first performance of the Holiday Festival on Ice show -- in St. John's, Newfoundland, in November -- was recorded "for the annual CBC holiday special."
    "... The show will air in Canada on CBC on Wednesday, December 12, and in syndication across the USA beginning in mid-December."

Custom Title
    So glad you enjoyed the show and thanks for the review! Sounds like it was really a wonderful evening!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    I had a ticket for the meet and greet so after the show proceeded to the area while my poor husband waited for me. It was a bit of a wait while the skaters changed. I tried to talk to as many of the skaters as I could in the limited time I had - I did not want to make hubby wait too long. Anyway, I talked to Joannie - she is a real sweetheart. I also talked to Jeff, he is very easy to talk to. Shawn Sawyer is very multi-talented, he told me that he makes his own costumes, does his own choreography and picks out his music! Kurt had a lot of people around him, so I did not say much, but did get a picture with him. I asked Kurt if his son is going to be a skater as well and replied "no." I got my picture taken with Elivs and Joannie. Anyway, it all went by so quickly. I wanted to stay longer, but had to find my husband and head home.
    Glad it went well! And yes, it DOES go by very quickly. More quickly than one would like, for sure.

The best M&G experiences tend to be with the skaters who actually initiate a conversation with you. In the early days when I'd get nervous or anxious, such encounters would immediately put me at ease.

It wasn't a huge show, but certainly worth the money to see the skaters up close and personal. They were all very relaxed and "at home" with the audience. It made for a most enjoyable evening. I am glad I went!
    I tend to get more out of the smaller shows than the big productions as a rule. The setting is more intimate and I really appreciate that aspect of it.

Custom Title
    FYI, the St. John's show had a musical guest - Measha Brueggergosman - so half the skaters actually did different programs in St. John's than in Langley since they all dropped their Measha programs. Don't expect to see the same programs on the Dec. 12 broadcast.

And Kurt did THREE programs in Langley which was a total surprise and highlight for me. He debuted his new Tragically Hip program (written especially for him by Gord Sinclair, who evidently contacted Kurt and told him he'd been thinking about him and wrote him a song), did his Two Figure Skates number (LOVED that - so hilarious and something only Kurt can do...plus, a beautiful 2-axel in hockey skates!), and then finished the show (before the finale) with Singing in the Rain. Which was appropriate to the weather .

I'm going to write a real review soon. Will post the link when I do. Also have photos of Kurt (wasn't allowed to shoot anyone but Kurt - because I do his website - and the 1st 3 numbers) that will go up later this week.

BTW I saw a number of people on ice filming on their phones, but I have no idea if they'll put the videos online...

Oh, and thank you Ladskater for your review! So glad to hear you enjoyed the show and got to meet some of the skaters. I probably saw you there, but I wouldn't have known =).
    Last edited by Teenes; 12-03-2012 at 11:20 PM.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Yes...too bad we could not have met. I am currently watching the Stars On Ice tour that Kurt choreographed and directed on the CBC. I am looking forward to watching the Holiday Festival on Ice again on Dec. 12. I recognized Measha Brueggergosman's singing at the Langley show. I thought it was her for a couple of programs. I found the sound was not that great at times. My husband will be thrilled to know that a Tragically Hip member wrote a song for Kurt as that is his favorite band (after the Beatles of course). It would be nice to see your photos as mine did not turn out that great. I wonder how the people with the cell phones did.

Anyway, I am hoping to attend the next Stars on Ice tour here in Vancouver. I see Patrick Chan will be a featured guest. It would be great to see him live. Hope I can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    My husband will be thrilled to know that a Tragically Hip member wrote a song for Kurt as that is his favorite band (after the Beatles of course).
    It's the second time they've written a song for Kurt

Custom Title
    FINALLY got my review done and my photos up.

Here's the review, which is kind of long: http://www.kurtfiles.com/reviews/hfoi12.php

Here are the photos - warmups, opening number, Kaetlyn's first number, Shawn's first number, all of Kurt's numbers, and the finale. Wish I hadn't been restricted to shooting only those numbers, the lighting was quite good at the show!
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/pics/event....on+Ice&search=

Hope you all enjoy!

Custom Title
    Having insomnia, I am up and at my screen in time to enjoy your pictures and your review. Thanks for so much detail on the programs! Like you, I'd be over the moon with three Kurt programs, and they all sound like splendid ones. I am so excited that he's revived his "Singin' in the Rain" program, and to see it live must be the bee's knees.

Thanks Teenes! As always, great job!

Gah, I need to stop dragging my feet, get my dang passport and get myself to a show that Kurt's skating in... time is running out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2