Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Kim to compete at NRW Trophy for points

Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    Both her short and long programs are extremely boring. The choreography is also extremely simplistic, jump, spin, jump, spirals, etc.
    You just come in here hating every skater-- male or female-- who isn't Akiko Suzuki, don't you?
    Last edited by aftertherain; 12-09-2012 at 01:27 PM.

lol I mean, Kim said in the interview that she'll mainly focus on technical part of the program, but I don't think her choreography was EXTREMELY simplistic, jump, spin, jump, spirals, etc. The one I can think of suzukifan27 is Akiko Suzuki

but on topic, I'm glad Kim won!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    She is going to compete at Korean Nats this year. She already made that clear. I don't believe she plans to go to 4CC tho. :sigh: I hate the Pyoengchang Oly committee...since they're making her do something when 4CC is happening.
    Ambassadorial duties aren't something to shirk off like a lecture in college or something. If they need her there, then she should be there; otherwise, she shouldn't have accepted the role. I too am disappointed that she isn't likely to compete at 4CC, but the Pyongchang Olympic Committee/Special Olympics Committee isn't making her do anything-- she signed up for it.

Custom Title
    Overall, I am very happy with both programs.

I like that Yuna is challenging herself with music for the short program. It is certainly an unusual choice, and much more difficult to interpret as it conveys a general mood as opposed to presenting a clear linear musical narrative. The SP, if performed to its potential, should provide for us a very sophisticated program that asks the audience to exercise its intellect and broaden its mind. This is also something I felt when watching her Gershwin program. I think it is important that a skater of her caliber brings something new to the table. After all, as a skater who has already won the OGM, she is one of the few skaters who has the luxury to do so.

As a counterpoint, Yuna's LP definitely connects on a broader emotional level. The music is moving and easy to understand. Most of us share a pre-existing connection with it. The choreography to this program is just beautiful. In a way, her portrayal of Eponine during the On My Own sequence reminds me of the young, delicate, and vulnerable Yuna that I first saw during her Lark Ascending program.

I find it quite admirable she went for the maximum difficulty with both her SP and LP, unlike so many other skaters who claim to be saving their big guns for the big competitions later in the season. Here she comes to a B-competition where her biggest "threat" was Ksenia Makarova and she performs like this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    I find it quite admirable she went for the maximum difficulty with both her SP and LP, unlike so many other skaters who claim to be saving their big guns for the big competitions later in the season. Here she comes to a B-competition where her biggest "threat" was Ksenia Makarova and she performs like this.
    I agree. She has always been quite the competitor.
    It's like that with any great skater. They have immense internal strength. I remember some of the looks Michelle made back in the day while competing. You knew she meant business!

Custom Title
    Her "maximum difficulty" is not a 51.8 (in base value) in the Long Program, so she didn't go for her maximum difficulty here. And some other skaters get a much higher base value than that, but people only care about the number of "clean" triples when it comes to defining difficulty (or a triple triple combinations). However, her return to competition was fantastic.
    Last edited by Leonardo; 12-09-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Her "maximum difficulty" is not a 51.8 (in base value) in the Long Program, so she didn't go for her maximum difficulty here. And some other skaters get a much higher base value than that, but people only care about the number of "clean" triples when it comes to defining difficulty (or a triple triple combinations). However, her return to competition was fantastic.
    Leonardo, she attempted her most difficult elements. Had she not popped her 2A+2T+2L and got a level 1 for last spin that base value would be much higher. The fact is, she actually went for it. She wasn't 100% successful, but she gave it her best at this B-competition. So many other ladies don't even bother, play it safe and do the minimum to win.

On the Ice
    I am so thrilled to see her on ice for competition again.

FYI, some quotes from her latest interview:
    After the free program she interviewed "I didn't care much about artistic performance" so save your disappointment. We all know she can bring out SOME performance.
    Also she commented about her mistakes "In combination jumps(intended to be 2-2-2), I lost my balance. About the second mistake, I think I lost concentration for a split second. I was concerned about stamina but I pulled it out just enough for my free program."

I get the expression that she's made it clear that this competition was plainly about qualification.
    So we wait to see what she brings to Nats and WC!

Custom Title
    I agree. She gave it her best effort despite the fact that this isn't even the most important competition going on this weekend, let alone this season.

Custom Title
    Man her vampire SP is just fantastic. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Very edgy and sophisticated. I wish she had a few more competitions before March to refine it further.

On the Ice
    I think this was not a competition per se for her. She should have go for all the content because you bet international judges and everybody concerned would watch her performances and she had to show that she is a contender and means business. What else is good about winning NRW Trophee for an Olympic champion? Besides, programs need competition mileage, regardless of the field - practice run-through and actual competition are two different things I'm sure. I think for her, it was sort of open test skates (and of course getting points for Worlds).

I just realized, she received level 4 on her step sequence o_O!

Congrats Yuna!

Ice is slippery. Anything can happen. OK, having got that out of the way... I think Sochi could be a one-woman show.

By the way, Kim's scores show how truly demanding the qualifying marks are for worlds. For instance, in the short program a lady has to get 28 in TES. Kim just did an SP with 3Lz+3T and 3F, with no levels below three, and with positive GOE on every element, and it still added up to only 37.42. This 28 mark is going to be a killer for lots of aspirants.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast