Kim to compete at NRW Trophy for points | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kim to compete at NRW Trophy for points

gimble

On the Ice
Did anyone else think Kim actually looked kind of like, well, not exactly bored, but more like, all in a days work, triple-triple, triple flip, double Axel, bow, Korean National Anthem, another day at the office? She didn't even finish her final pose.

I also thought that was strange and thought that she must have become tired. This made me wonder whether she was up to skating her full program well. Her stamina may not be up to where it needs to be.

Well, though, give the girl a break. She got herself up, obviously practiced like a trouper, showed up at this small rink (first time I've ever seen a fancam give us almost the entire routine in one piece--that must be a tiny rink), and did all her triples. She may not have the performance glitter aspect of it down pat yet, but she sure didn't stint on the athletics. I always found her a bit aloof from the audience anyway: I think that unlike Michelle or Kurt or Daisuke, she doesn't naturally radiate charisma at the audience. She probably has to work at it, and understandably she spent most of her training time working on things like the jumps. This foray into competitive skating should give her the confidence to gleam a little more in her next competition. You just watch. She will have us out of breath before long.

bluesky85

On the Ice
PCS overall have been trending higher since the Olympics for pretty much everyone, so the comparison to her Olympics SP isn't really applicable. Rules and judges' training have changed since then. I think it's quite fair by today's standards.

Yuna admitted recently that she struggled most with spins in her training up to this event. It's clear the jumps come naturally to her but that other elements take a bit of work to gain and refine. Fortunately, she's got four months until Worlds. She lacked the flexibility of many skaters even in her peak years so I expected she would be a little rusty after two years off.

Her 3Flip and 3Lutz+3Toe were amazing, though, and even better in the warm-up!

That's exactly what I mean. Her score might have been higher considering her own previous Olympics standards, but from the current figure skating standards, her scores were fair. It is her first competition in 20 months, and she will most likely become more natural in competitions once she gets more used to competing again (as well as her new spins). She is a bit rusty but not as rusty as I thought she would be considering her long absence. I am so happy that she is in good shape even after 20 months.

bluesky85

On the Ice
I thought Yuna's spins looked good, especially the first one. I think her flexibility level is fine. I actually like that she does some different spins instead of the now-standard and rather boring Biellmann positions.

It should be remembered that until 1995 or so, hyperflexibility was not required or particularly rewarded in ladies' figure skating. As recently as 1992, Kristi Yamaguchi became Olympic champion and a legend in the sport without ever approaching even Yuna's level of flexibility, much less Mao's or Julia's. Flexibility, to me, really has intrinsically little to do with skating. Beautiful line and interpretive artistry are the goals. Flexibility can be a useful, but not necessary, tool in achieving those goals. I like that Yuna does not overly rely on this one tool, unlike Julia for example.

Actually, now that I watch it again, you are right. It is not the flexibility that I thought she was lacking. I mean she is not super flexible as she herself said in previous interviews, but she is flexible enough to have beautiful positions. I especially loved her first spin positions. What I noticed was something awkward in the middle of her last combination spins, which is something new that she tried probably because of the new spin rules. I think she might still be getting used to it. I am just being hyper critical because I am afraid that I might blindly accept whatever she does just because of my nationality.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Did anyone else think Kim actually looked kind of like, well, not exactly bored, but more like, all in a days work, triple-triple, triple flip, double Axel, bow, Korean National Anthem, another day at the office? She didn't even finish her final pose.

LOL. What did you expect? Another Vancouver?

I think she was doing it purely to get enough TES, not b/c she's so thrilled to be competing at a B-comp in Europe in this freezing weather (her flight was massively delayed, and she arrived 1 day later than planned b/c of snow), and so on. The min TES requirement is ridiculous, since she's not only the reigning Oly champion, but she did compete in 2 worlds after the Vancouver competition, and medaled in both events (silver), plus she still holds the world record scores in short & long plus combined. Perhaps the only requirement should've been that Yuna wins the Korean nationals, maybe. But regardless, she came and did her thing better than most people expected after a long break (one & a half years)

bluesky85

On the Ice
Maybe the program will grow on me, but I wasn't quite thrilled with the music either.

The dress is lovely as is her skating. I agree with some that her skating appears a bit tentative, but I'm sure it will get better. Wish she had more chances to compete...

I loved the dress as well but I agree that her skating appears a bit tentative and that might be why some people feel that they don't like the program or the choreography yet. Also, her music is a little too difficult for me to understand. Maybe I might begin to like it as I see her program more. She seems to present the character well, but somehow I couldn't completely get into the music just yet.

bluesky85

On the Ice
It's great to see Kim back and doing so well, but I still say wait for the FS. The SP has 3 jumps, I think it's easier for a comeback skater to be able to show up after years away and deliver a great SP, but the FS is a different story. Yes, Kim's jumps are huge, but that doesn't mean she's necessarily going to be able to land the 12 jumps that are part of a FS consistently. Given that it's Yuna, I wouldn't be surprised if she does show a great FS, but then there's also pressure and expectations, etc. The SP, IMO, shows ones ability, whereas the FS is more evident of the ability on top of other things, like training, focus, nerves/mental state, stamina, strategy, etc. It's a very different vehicle and I'm curious to see how Yuna handles it, both her and at the bigger competitions.

I agree... I am a little concerned...as you said, she does have the ability but there might be other factors that can affect the long program after coming back in 20 months... I am worried about her stamina and expectations from people the most.

bluesky85

On the Ice
LOL. What did you expect? Another Vancouver?

I think she was doing it purely to get enough TES, not b/c she's so thrilled to be competing at a B-comp in Europe in this freezing weather (her flight was massively delayed, and she arrived 1 day later than planned b/c of snow), and so on. The min TES requirement is ridiculous, since she's not only the reigning Oly champion, but she did compete in 2 worlds after the Vancouver competition, and medaled in both events (silver), plus she still holds the world record scores in short & long plus combined. Perhaps the only requirement should've been that Yuna wins the Korean nationals, maybe. But regardless, she came and did her thing better than most people expected after a long break (one & a half years)

Yeah, I understand. It was certainly not the Vancouver performance and she did look a little... how should I say, not completely into the program as she usually is in competitions. As Mathman mentioned, her ending pose was so abruptly ended, which is usually not the case with her. I think all the reasons you listed had an impact, as well as the fact that she was competing after 20 months. She must have been tense, nervous and was probably trying to get used to competing again during the program and trying to focus on the program. I think by her next competition, she will look more natural and into her program.

Krislite

Medalist
That would be ideal. But I think she would add a 3S instead of 3lo, and do a 2a instead of 2a-3t.

It's not known at this point whether she was training the 3Loop. I doubt it, but she has her old coaches back so who knows. I'm expecting her to repeat her 2011 Worlds LP jump layout:

3Lz+3T
3S+2T
3F
2A+2T+2L
3Lz
3S
2A

That's still more than what the top senior ladies are doing these days, with two Lutzes and a difficult triple-triple.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, though, give the girl a break..
I think we all should, actually. I am not Korean and I dont even play one on TV. I am not mobbed like Elvis every wherer I try and go. I am not an OGMedalist doing a comeback, starting at a backwater competition....I can't imagine what she is going through in her head. I think she did just fine and is probably glad to have that short out of the way. I wouldnt read too much into her not holding her pose or playing to the crowd....the main thing is she is back and that is good for skating.....

bluesky85

On the Ice
I think we all should, actually. I am not Korean and I dont even play one on TV. I am not mobbed like Elvis every wherer I try and go. I am not an OGMedalist doing a comeback, starting at a backwater competition....I can't imagine what she is going through in her head. I think she did just fine and is probably glad to have that short out of the way. I wouldnt read too much into her not holding her pose or playing to the crowd....the main thing is she is back and that is good for skating.....

Agree 100%...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
It's not known at this point whether she was training the 3Loop. I doubt it, but she has her old coaches back so who knows. I'm expecting her to repeat her 2011 Worlds LP jump layout:

3Lz+3T
3S+2T
3F
2A+2T+2L
3Lz
3S
2A

That's still more than what the top senior ladies are doing these days, with two Lutzes and a difficult triple-triple.

Can she do a 2A+3T in place of a 3S+2T or is that against the rules?

bluesky85

On the Ice

3Lz+3T
3S+2T
3F
2A+2T+2L
3Lz
3S
2A

That's what I think. I doubt she will do a triple loop, but then, we won't know until she actually performs her FS.

bluesky85

On the Ice

If she does 2A+3T, then she needs to replace one of the other 2A with another triple jump that she hasn't already done. She already has two 3Ts and two 3Ls, which means that she cannot repeat another triple jump. She already has 3F and 3S planned, so she cannot repeat them. That leaves only 3lo, which she doesn't feel comfortable doing in competition due to injury. In order to avoid this, she did 3S+2T at Worlds 2011.

gmyers

Record Breaker

She would be repeatin too many triples. Only lutz and salchow so she could not also do a triple toe but also she would be doing 2a 3 times which is also against the rules.

Riemann

Rinkside
As others have said, she's there to get the minimum TES. That specific goal combined with the fact that she knew all eyes were on her to see whether she still had it after her long absence from competition perfectly explains that SP performance. Frankly, I thought she did a great job all things considered.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
She would be repeatin too many triples. Only lutz and salchow so she could not also do a triple toe but also she would be doing 2a 3 times which is also against the rules.

Oh, I was a little vague. I meant replacing the single 2A with a 2A+3T and having a single 3S instead of one in combination. But that still wouldn't work because she'd be doing 3Lz (2x) and 3S (2x) anyway and the rules state that she can't repeat another jump-- 3T (2x) on top of those, right?

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Oh, I was a little vague. I meant replacing the single 2A with a 2A+3T and having a single 3S instead of one in combination. But that still wouldn't work because she'd be doing 3Lz (2x) and 3S (2x) anyway and the rules state that she can't repeat another jump-- 3T (2x) on top of those, right?

Yes that is right