Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Kim to compete at NRW Trophy for points

On the Ice
    Great to see Yuna back in shape. I hope that she attends 4cc, and kick every one's butt. Though I like Mao, I hate, hate that
    she's winning with that watering down content, as everyone else does these days. And Ashley better start putting second 3t, or else..
    Last edited by loren; 12-08-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Medalist
    Thank God. I have never been a huge fan of her artistry (much prefer Mao's), but competitive ladies figure skating has been awful recently. Without her there to force everyone to really push the technical, the sport had regressed.

Banned
    Ashley's winning streak with no 2/3+3 is pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    Two back-to-back gold programs hardly qualify as a winning "streak."

And would you rather have her competitors in those GP events beat her? She deserved those wins.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 12-08-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    What is even more pitiful, is calling someone's wins pitiful when that person landed more triple jumps than most of her competitors.

On the Ice
    so great to see Yuna back! I also don't like the current trend in ladies skating. Not that I profess a Russian approach to the sport (they seem to treat FS as gymnastics - go on the ice, do all jumps, so-so spins, decent footwork... and the music is expressed mostly by skater's costume. This is especially in mens), but said 'watered down content' really begins to get annoying. I hope Yuna's presence will remedy that.

The dress is just GORGEOUS! Skating very good, as I expected...
    I didn't like the music though... Not Yuna's character, it seemed. Choreography good, but not as brilliant as in some of her past programs. But still...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by adamanna View Post
    The dress is just GORGEOUS! Skating very good, as I expected...
    I didn't like the music though... Not Yuna's character, it seemed. Choreography good, but not as brilliant as in some of her past programs. But still...
    Maybe the program will grow on me, but I wasn't quite thrilled with the music either.

The dress is lovely as is her skating. I agree with some that her skating appears a bit tentative, but I'm sure it will get better. Wish she had more chances to compete...
    Last edited by gimble; 12-08-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo

Custom Title
    It's great to see Kim back and doing so well, but I still say wait for the FS. The SP has 3 jumps, I think it's easier for a comeback skater to be able to show up after years away and deliver a great SP, but the FS is a different story. Yes, Kim's jumps are huge, but that doesn't mean she's necessarily going to be able to land the 12 jumps that are part of a FS consistently. Given that it's Yuna, I wouldn't be surprised if she does show a great FS, but then there's also pressure and expectations, etc. The SP, IMO, shows ones ability, whereas the FS is more evident of the ability on top of other things, like training, focus, nerves/mental state, stamina, strategy, etc. It's a very different vehicle and I'm curious to see how Yuna handles it, both her and at the bigger competitions.

Custom Title
    Oh, my goodness! And she's this good after being away for so long? Unbelievable. Tulosai, you said it best: I am also in awe of this.

Did anyone else think Kim actually looked kind of like, well, not exactly bored, but more like, all in a days work, triple-triple, triple flip, double Axel, bow, Korean National Anthem, another day at the office? She didn't even finish her final pose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Did anyone else think Kim actually looked kind of like, well, not exactly bored, but more like, all in a days work, triple-triple, triple flip, double Axel, bow, Korean National Anthem, another day at the office? She didn't even finish her final pose.
    I totally agree! I liked the program and all, but something was missing from it. My guess is her long hiatus.

Custom Title
    There was no Korean National Anthem...but in any case, Yu-Na's goal here was to get the minimum TES (which is actually a huge challenge if you miss something major like your combo). It's not exactly a big competition where she can feed off the energy of the audience. I think there was only one official practice--they just expect skaters to show up and get out there on the ice.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

"My main goal today was to get at least 28 technical points, which are required now to be allowed to go to worlds again; therefore, I concentrated more on the technical aspect here and not so much on expression," Kim said. "I know that I have to work more on [adding] emotion in the future, but tomorrow, in the free skate, I will have less stress."

Custom Title
    Then again, it's with every other skater; it irritates me when a skater drops the ending pose. I think coaches should start training their skaters to hold the pose for at least three seconds, then make a fluent exit into bows, like it's with all other artistic sports.

However, I read there is this pressure to firmly notify the end of program, as the rule recognizes the accountable program length from the beginning of choreography to when the skater finishes skating; anything beyond that, although I'm sure judges use common sense, is downgraded. Anyone can explain?

Last edited by Krislite; 12-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    i agree. She probably felt very inconvenienced that she had to fly all the way across the country to skate in a unknown event at a non-professional arena just to go to worlds. She herself said that she was focused purely on the technical side and just making sure she got the points. I'm sure she will bring the program to life at worlds.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast