Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coughlin undergoes surgery

Custom Title

Coughlin undergoes surgery

JOHN COUGHLIN UNDERGOES SUCCESSFUL HIP SURGERY

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Dec. 5, 2012) – John Coughlin, the 2012 U.S. pairs champion with partner Caydee Denney, is recovering after having successful surgery Tuesday to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. The surgery was performed in Vail, Colo., by Dr. Marc Philippon.

Coughlin’s rehabilitation will take place at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. No exact timetable has been set for his return to practice.

Denney and Coughlin train in Colorado Springs under Dalilah Sappenfield and Larry Ibarra. Earlier this fall, they won silver at 2012 Nebelhorn Trophy before winning a pair of bronze medals at their Grand Prix assignments, 2012 Hilton HHonors Skate America and 2012 Rostelecom Cup.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Wow. Castelli & Shnapir could end up US Champions this season

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Wow , indeed ..and will Yankowskas and Reagan be back by then ?

I didn't even know he needed to have it. Glad he's doing well... but wow...

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Ouch. Well, this is one case where I would be much surprised if USFS doesn't give them a bye to Worlds, if John is OK by March...but how long does it take someone to recover from this sort of surgery? Two spots for Olympics is beginning to look impossible.

I think we will have 2 spots for Olys... if John gets well. I think we'd have had 3 if MBM hadn't decided to end her competitive career (IMO she and Brubaker were actually our best long term hope for international success, but I know, I have to let it go...)

Custom Title
    This is the same injury Alissa Czisny had last season. Worlds starts March 11, less than 4 months from now; it would seem unlikely that he'll be back in time.

I'm sorry to hear this news. I am not a big D/C fan, but this is a very unfortunate, tough break for them.

Goodness, it certainly does swing the door wide open for the rest of the U.S. pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    This is the same injury Alissa Czisny had last season. Worlds starts March 11, less than 4 months from now; it would seem unlikely that he'll be back in time.

I'm sorry to hear this news. I am not a big D/C fan, but this is a very unfortunate, tough break for them.

Goodness, it certainly does swing the door wide open for the rest of the U.S. pairs.
    And for the silver? Vise/Baldwin?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    And for the silver? Vise/Baldwin?
    I'd say Scimeca/Knierim. They had an impressive GP debut in Japan and is NO. 14 in SB, well above the other US pairs. (Davis/Ladwig is No. 21 Vise/Baldwin is No. 25. Donlan/Spearoff is No. 32).

Actually I think a team of C/S (they are only one spot behind D/C in SB at No. 9) and S/K could still secure two spots for the Olympics.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 12-05-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Actually I think a team of C/S (they are only one spot behind D/C in SB at No. 9) and S/K could still secure two spots for the Olympics.
    What is the cutoff to get 2 spots?

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    What is the cutoff to get 2 spots?
    Top 10. To get 3 you need to either I think be in the top 3 if only one person goes or have two teams with combined placements of 12 or higher.

Oh I am sad to hear this news. U.S. Nationals won't be the same without D/C.
    Tough break for them as a team. Wishing John a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 12-05-2012 at 05:28 PM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Top 10. To get 3 you need to either I think be in the top 3 if only one person goes or have two teams with combined placements of 12 or higher.
    Actually it's a sum of 28 or less for 2 spots or a sum of 13 for 3 spots in placements.

Unless the two team are really low in the rankings, it would be really tough for the U.S. to go down to one spot.

Custom Title
    Precisely. The paucity of teams as well means that two spots is all but guaranteed.

D&C are one of my favorite pairs this season. I feel very sorry to hear that John is injured and had to undergo surgery. Hope he gets well soon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast