Coughlin undergoes surgery | Golden Skate

Coughlin undergoes surgery

EWalker

On the Ice
JOHN COUGHLIN UNDERGOES SUCCESSFUL HIP SURGERY

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Dec. 5, 2012) – John Coughlin, the 2012 U.S. pairs champion with partner Caydee Denney, is recovering after having successful surgery Tuesday to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. The surgery was performed in Vail, Colo., by Dr. Marc Philippon.

Coughlin’s rehabilitation will take place at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. No exact timetable has been set for his return to practice.

Denney and Coughlin train in Colorado Springs under Dalilah Sappenfield and Larry Ibarra. Earlier this fall, they won silver at 2012 Nebelhorn Trophy before winning a pair of bronze medals at their Grand Prix assignments, 2012 Hilton HHonors Skate America and 2012 Rostelecom Cup.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:eek: I didn't even know he needed to have it. Glad he's doing well... but wow...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ouch. Well, this is one case where I would be much surprised if USFS doesn't give them a bye to Worlds, if John is OK by March...but how long does it take someone to recover from this sort of surgery? Two spots for Olympics is beginning to look impossible.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think we will have 2 spots for Olys... if John gets well. I think we'd have had 3 if MBM hadn't decided to end her competitive career (IMO she and Brubaker were actually our best long term hope for international success, but I know, I have to let it go...)

clairecloutier

Final Flight
This is the same injury Alissa Czisny had last season. Worlds starts March 11, less than 4 months from now; it would seem unlikely that he'll be back in time.

I'm sorry to hear this news. I am not a big D/C fan, but this is a very unfortunate, tough break for them.

Goodness, it certainly does swing the door wide open for the rest of the U.S. pairs.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
This is the same injury Alissa Czisny had last season. Worlds starts March 11, less than 4 months from now; it would seem unlikely that he'll be back in time.

I'm sorry to hear this news. I am not a big D/C fan, but this is a very unfortunate, tough break for them.

Goodness, it certainly does swing the door wide open for the rest of the U.S. pairs.
:cry: And for the silver? Vise/Baldwin?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:cry: And for the silver? Vise/Baldwin?

I'd say Scimeca/Knierim. They had an impressive GP debut in Japan and is NO. 14 in SB, well above the other US pairs. (Davis/Ladwig is No. 21 Vise/Baldwin is No. 25. Donlan/Spearoff is No. 32).

Actually I think a team of C/S (they are only one spot behind D/C in SB at No. 9) and S/K could still secure two spots for the Olympics.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh I am sad to hear this news. U.S. Nationals won't be the same without D/C.
Tough break for them as a team. Wishing John a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Top 10. To get 3 you need to either I think be in the top 3 if only one person goes or have two teams with combined placements of 12 or higher.

Actually it's a sum of 28 or less for 2 spots or a sum of 13 for 3 spots in placements.

Unless the two team are really low in the rankings, it would be really tough for the U.S. to go down to one spot.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
D&C are one of my favorite pairs this season. I feel very sorry to hear that John is injured and had to undergo surgery. Hope he gets well soon :)

Rats! Another year of "musical chairs" for American pairs skating. We have no continuity. Golly, I wish Evora and Ladwig were still together.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So who will be going to Worlds? :eek: This is why US pair teams have to stop breaking up. Wishing John a speedy recovery!!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ugh! It was so great to see them running around the concourse at SA-kent, smiling at everyone during their warmups......I do hope I can see them at Worlds..... nats wont be the same. My heart surgeon wont let me watch
Novice pairs (too scary) so I guess I will watch Juniors for some drama in Omaha :clap:.....Best wishes for John and Caydee. I love their programs this year.....tear falls...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think we will have 2 spots for Olys... if John gets well. I think we'd have had 3 if MBM hadn't decided to end her competitive career (IMO she and Brubaker were actually our best long term hope for international success, but I know, I have to let it go...)

I agree two spots is realistic but three is a huge long shot. They would have to count on one or two Russian teams to crumble plus hope the no. 2 Chinese and or the Japanses make some huge mistakes and then pray both Canadian teams are behind the top American team. That's a lot to ask for. You might as well as for world peace.