Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coughlin undergoes surgery

Custom Title
    Rats! Another year of "musical chairs" for American pairs skating. We have no continuity. Golly, I wish Evora and Ladwig were still together.
    Last edited by Olympia; 12-05-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    We have no continuity.
    sure we do! we continually see stuff like this happen...

Custom Title
    So who will be going to Worlds? This is why US pair teams have to stop breaking up. Wishing John a speedy recovery!!

Ugh! It was so great to see them running around the concourse at SA-kent, smiling at everyone during their warmups......I do hope I can see them at Worlds..... nats wont be the same. My heart surgeon wont let me watch
    Novice pairs (too scary) so I guess I will watch Juniors for some drama in Omaha .....Best wishes for John and Caydee. I love their programs this year.....tear falls...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I think we will have 2 spots for Olys... if John gets well. I think we'd have had 3 if MBM hadn't decided to end her competitive career (IMO she and Brubaker were actually our best long term hope for international success, but I know, I have to let it go...)
    I agree two spots is realistic but three is a huge long shot. They would have to count on one or two Russian teams to crumble plus hope the no. 2 Chinese and or the Japanses make some huge mistakes and then pray both Canadian teams are behind the top American team. That's a lot to ask for. You might as well as for world peace.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

Coughlin undergoes surgery

So sad about this news. Wishing John a full & speedy recovery!

Custom Title
    Really sorry to hear this - and I hope John has a full and speedy recovery too!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    So who will be going to Worlds? This is why US pair teams have to stop breaking up. Wishing John a speedy recovery!!
    C/S and S/K.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Strictly speaking, both C/S & S/K have to stay healthy and skate well at US Nationals to assure a trip to Worlds & also Coughlin has to not recover in time, since a medical bye to Worlds is conceivable (but unlikely). AFAIR, hip labrum surgery rehab is a 3 to 6 months recovery?

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Wow , indeed ..and will Yankowskas and Reagan be back by then ?
    FWIW, Yankowskas/Reagan will give a holiday exhibition performance tomorrow. http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-on-Sat-Dec-22

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Strictly speaking, both C/S & S/K have to stay healthy and skate well at US Nationals to assure a trip to Worlds & also Coughlin has to not recover in time, since a medical bye to Worlds is conceivable (but unlikely). AFAIR, hip labrum surgery rehab is a 3 to 6 months recovery?
    Strictly speaking, these are the two pairs teams that are currently eligible to go to Worlds; I'm pretty sure Coughlin's sitting out this season and recalibrating for the Olympics, which means he's being smart. Things stay as they are, no one else can.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Coughlin's Dec 10 blog with thoughts on his injury:

skating philosopher
    From said entry:
    Now to what I want to talk about in this entry – Call it a declaration. I'm putting the world on notice. I'm looking at this as a twist in the story, the juicy details in the made-for-TV adventure we call life. An injury won't define me…but how I respond to it will. My whole career has been one big test of will. So, in truth, I wouldn't have it any other way. The first one in and the last one out, I'm looking for every possible angle to a quicker, stronger recovery. They say most people come out of this better than before, that I may have been unknowingly favoring and compensating for some time now. If that is the case, I look forward to re-discovering what 100% feels like.
    I like John's attitude regarding this process. It's really easy to let an unexpected setback get you down,so I'm happy that he's going to try to make the most out of it.

Custom Title
    I feel very sorry to hear about John's injury and surgery ...I really wish him a full recovery. I was rooting for Denny and Coughlin among the current US pairs this season.
    One fortunate side of his most-unfortunate injury, if there is any, is this is pre-Olympic season, not the Olympic season yet, so that he can take enough time to rest as needed first, before starting his rehab.

Thank you so much, golden and Mrs. P! for posting John's blog. That's one of the reasons for me to root for John, not only as a skater but also as a person. It's really nice and comforting to me to read his blog entry, especially after having read a number of post-comp comments from skaters and/or fans, which are sometimes saddening/disappointing to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2