Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko won't bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: by Rosie DiManno

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Who is that woman? I'm not Russian, but I read many times the Russian media, they had never wrote such a disgusting article about Plushenko's rival. And Chan is a rude man! After this I don't like him!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...season-dimanno
    I think this woman was trying to make people think Plushenko is *******. I also read Russian newspaper often, but they never treated their athletes' rivals in this way. Maybe Canadian media have little character than Russian.

And Patrick Chan, he is always been a person of rude character. I never forget what he said. He is not a champion worthy of respect.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 12-06-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Custom Title
    I don't see anything wrong with Chan's remark either. in contrast, he admired Plush's ability to retain all those jumps at his age. He actually said he was intimidated. The article is really of bad taste, but not Chan.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with Chan's remark either. in contrast, he admired Plush's ability to retain all those jumps at his age. He actually said he was intimidated. The article is really of bad taste, but not Chan.
    Plushenko is not 35 or 36. To say the age of someone too higher or too lower deliberately is impolite. Before Vancouver, Chan was saying Plushenko is old.
    By the way, most Canadian fs fans are old people. Chan maybe laugh at them. He doesn't have respect for older people.

Custom Title
    You are too sensitive. Chan doesn't know exactly Plushenko's age. Is that worth of offense? Unless one is old enough (for men, I'd say over 50) to be sensitive on the ages, saying wrong age is not a big deal, especially it's not in front of the said person, also especially Plushenko is not in the age-sensitive age. Scott Hamilton was called "grandfather of figure skating" when he was in his late 30s. You have no evidence and proof to say that Chan doesn't respect the older people. He respected Mr. Colson and sees him as one of his family members.

It is this writer who is often rude, not just on Plushenko. She doesn't represent the whole Canadian media, just like Phil Hersh doesn't represent the whole US media.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 12-20-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    You are too sensitive. Chan doesn't know exactly Plushenko's age
    Yeah maybe so. But I felt Chan hates old people. I'm not Chan's fan (Thank God I'm not!) and don't even want to know his story.
    Probably Chan also didn't know Yagudin's program was not easy ten years ago. So he can laugh at Yagudin's progam.

I hope Japanese men kick Chan's ***.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 12-06-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgenia View Post
    Yeah maybe so. But I felt Chan hates old people. Because I'm not Chan's fan (Thank God I'm not!) and don't even want to know his story.

Probably Chan also didn't know Yagudin's program was not easy ten years ago. So he can laugh at Yagudin.
    I hope Japanese men kick Chan's a*s.
    If you hate Patrick Chan, then you hate Patrick Chan. No one is trying to change your mind. However, don't use the unfounded reason/reasons to justify your hate.

I was one of them who were pissed off about his Yagudin comment. But Patrick hasn't mentioned Yagudin for years, has he?! And I am a Plushenko fan too. I honestly don't know what was so offensive from Patrick this time?
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 12-05-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Custom Title
    at the Plushenko ubers.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    at the Plushenko ubers.
    And at the Chan haters.

I'm not Chan's fan (Thank God I'm not!) and don't even want to know his story.
    Your hate for Chan seems to be based on assumptions then.

The writer of this article (DiManno) is like one of those girls who gossiped around the lockers, the lunch table, the bathrooms, etc to stir up some unnecessary drama. *shrugs*
    Last edited by aftertherain; 12-06-2012 at 12:05 AM.

To say the age of someone too higher or too lower deliberately is impolite. Before Vancouver, Chan was saying Plushenko is old.
    Plushenko is old relative to the rest of the current amateur skaters. So is Brian Joubert. Heck, Michelle Kwan was already considered "old" at 22 when she won her fifth world title.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    You are too sensitive.
    Lets imagine, for example Yuzuru Hanyu saying about Patrick Chan: “I think I feared him at the beginning. On the ice with him, that was almost like being in a time capsule. I was actually more impressed with him in practice than in the competition. I thought to myself, ‘Wow, he’s doing a lot better than I had expected.’ He can land all his jumps in practice, which is pretty good for someone who has — what? — 3, 4 falls per competition.’’
    Nothing wrong, just the truth

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    How do we know that this is DiManno's interpretation and not his words? Did he sue her for libel or denied "his" printed words in press? Or do we have another souce? No. Moreover, just this season after JO he said to his media, and to not DiManno, that he is unbeatable when he jumps. Oh yeah. Sounds kind of arrogant and childish for a matured man. Or when he said after CoR to the Russian press that 4F and 4S are just funning around. Poor skaters who are "funning" by practicing those jumps!
    Because if these were actual quotes, she would have reported them as such, rather than paraphrasing and embellishing; and others in the media would have reported them too. Poor Rosie, Chan gave her nothing to work with at all.

It's fine for a skater to be confident, which Chan is. It is not fine to trash other skaters, which Chan has done in the past but didn't do in this case. And lots of skaters try wacky jumps and combos in practice that they have no intention of doing in competition. So what?

Here's a Canadian Press article on the GPF; much more reasonable, not that it's hard to accomplish that compared to DiManno's work.

Plushenko is not 35 or 36. To say the age of someone too higher or too lower deliberately is impolite. Before Vancouver, Chan was saying Plushenko is old.
    By the way, most Canadian fs fans are old people. Chan maybe laugh at them. He doesn't have respect for older people.
    He was clearly joking, and humor is not something that always translates well across cultures. But the point was that Plushenko is older than the rest of the field, has been competing since many of the current crop were kids (they probably grew up watching him) and still has an impressive technical arsenal.

On the Ice
    This article is so ridiculous that I cannot help laughing when she drops the name of Tolstoy. Oh boy, rational people are all boringly alike, but every lunatic is fascinating in his/her own way. She would make a fine Countess Lidiya Ivanovna.

She should really take Tolstoy's words, "All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. " But I guess she just loves trash-talking.
    Last edited by lilywang; 12-06-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by itoja View Post
    Lets imagine, for example Yuzuru Hanyu saying about Patrick Chan: “I think I feared him at the beginning. On the ice with him, that was almost like being in a time capsule. I was actually more impressed with him in practice than in the competition. I thought to myself, ‘Wow, he’s doing a lot better than I had expected.’ He can land all his jumps in practice, which is pretty good for someone who has — what? — 3, 4 falls per competition.’’
    As a Patrick fan, if Yuzuru said that, I would chalk it up to good old fashion "trash talk," isn't that what athletes do in sports? And I have never understood all the criticism over Patrick's comments in the past or in this article because I always thought it was "trash talk." Some people, not all, are just way too sensitive and it makes me wonder if they're fans of other sports because Patrick's comments would be considered tame, if he was a basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by itoja View Post
    The time capsule part seems a direct reference to Plushenko's age and longevity in the sport, which would be irrelevant for most active skaters including Chan. So if Hanyu said all that, it would make no sense. And talking about someone's age is not comparable to making fun of someone's falls.

Also, I took it to be like a time capsule in the sense that Plushenko's technical ability in practice was no less impressive than when he was younger. Which is a compliment. Chan probably figured that a skater whose career has been so long, and who has had so many injuries and surgeries, would probably not be in as good a shape as Plushenko appeared to be.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast