Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko won't bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: by Rosie DiManno

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    No one has 3, 4 falls per competition.
    Patrick Chan has. He had 3 falls per competition and more than once. He had 4 falls per competition just recently at JO.

Medalist
    The woman is strange anyway.

Custom Title
    Obviously, the writer was intentionally seeking controversies. She couldn't find any among the skaters who are attending, so she wrote about Plushenko who is irrelevant at all to this competition. I completely doubt that Chan wanted to just talk about Plushenko at GPF. He was answering her questions.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Plushenko was old by fans and media in Vancouver too, an age that Abott, Joubert, Verner, Daisuke and Lysacek have reached or about to reach too, but I dont see articles pointing out how old they are or how impressive they skate despite their age. Truth is that he is older than the rest but it 's been written so much and so repetitive since he was coming back in 2009 when he was 26-27 that it is just an uninspired comment. All the above men will be older in Sochi than he was in Vancouver but I would cringe if someone was calling Daisuke old by Sochi time. So I dont see the point in an article. Hongbo was 37 at Vancouver and I didnt see a dozen of articles pointing it out, even if in pairs they get to compete further than 30 he was stil old.Besides how the body strength of an athlete preserves I suppose is different for each person.

Btw, they are now many skaters who grew up with watching Plush, ex. Misha Ge or Hanyu but in their interviews the age difference is mentioned in a total different way. That article reminds me of the gossip shows we have on Tv, they know little of nothing and they talk about everything, but it has nothing to do with Chan, rather the journalist.
    I think emphasizing Plushenko's age has many reasons:

1. Plushenko has stopped competing then made an comback to Vancouver and this time. That would make people more focused on his age.

2. Plushenko's longivity in his competitive career made people feel that he is older than his real age.

3. Not many skaters could comeback and immidiately mixed himself within the top current skaters. So his age is understandably focused.

What could Plushenko be hurt by this focusing on his age? Nothing!
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 12-06-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Somebody has changed the title of thread
    The title now accurately reflects the article's actual title (as it should have benn done in the first place).

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    She did. His words are in the quotation marks as direct speech in that article, the same as Plu's words, which are btw accurate. Why should anyone assumes that in case of Plu she quoted his words correctly, but in case of Chan she faked it. Kind of lame and desperate explanation I observe here.
    Are you being purposely obtuse? Look at what she quoted as actual statements from Chan; it's pretty mild stuff. Then look at the rest of the story, and tell me that DiManno is not exaggerating and embellishing everything, while casting Chan in a poor light in the process. Every nasty and controversial statement is hers rather than Chan's. I've had no problem criticizing Chan in the past, but he did nothing wrong here. It's all on her.

skating philosopher
    Also I agree with the poster who wonders why Plushy is even a topic when she's supposedly covering the GPF.

There's lots of skaters who aren't at the GPF: Yuna Kim, Miki Ando, Carolina Kostner. Seriously why is she so fixed on Plushy?

DiManno is just ridiculous in general. Just read her column regarding V/M and clearly she hasn't even bother to acknowledge the strengths of D/W. She goes on and on about how V/M has made "more impact" on the sport despite the rules. I guess the fact the D/W managed to do a great SD polka to ballet music doesn't count for anything to this lady. That's another topic though.

You guys, her latest article is about her feeling on pairs skating holding hands. Do you really think she should be taken so seriously that you go for each other's "blood"?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Are you being purposely obtuse? Look at what she quoted as actual statements from Chan
    Darling, I too can call you adjectives like "dumb, foolish, stupid, dull, blunt, groos", etc. that dictionary posses. But I won't go down to your level. Instead of that I will try to word it as simple as possible- I don't care what some dimannos think or what opinions they have. I speak here only about PChan's quotes aka direct speech in OP, i.e. the stuff that he is directly responsible for. How and who used what he actually SAID is his problem entirely. He is 22. Old enough.

skating philosopher
    ^
    But this thread is about DiManno....so if you don't care what she thinks...then....

skating philosopher
    Back to the topic. Who cares if Plushy doesn't skate in the GP. Neither did Michelle Kwan in the later stages in her career.

Again, it seems she cares more to slam the competitors of the Canadian skaters she likes than to actually report on what is going on.

Found this line in the column amusing:

And, only because he was queried about it, Chan pondered the rival who isnt here Plushenko.
    Rosie, you mean only because YOU asked him about it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    ^
    But this thread is about DiManno....so if you don't care what she thinks...then....
    Maybe you should ask OP what thread he/she was opening. Or at least bother to read OP with "shame for Canadians and for Chan!". Chan's quote is the one that is there. The fact that you don't feel comfortable with OP's statement doesn't mean that it is "off topic".
    Last edited by let`s talk; 12-06-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Custom Title
    Somebody is so obsessed with Patric Chan it"s almost scary.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Maybe you should ask OP what thread he/she was opening. Or at least bother to read OP. Chan's quote is the one that is there.
    I did, but I agree this article is very much about DiManno's interpretation and less what Patrick said. She was clearly provoking the quotes/discussion here. If you want to go revisit Patrick Chan's remarks, then maybe a separate thread is in order, like a "Patrick Chan and the press" thread or something.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think if you want to start a "Patrick Chan and the press" thread, then go do that.
    OP did it already, and the original title of this thread was with "Plu and Chan". Face it, people, you just don't want to admit that PChan says such stuff about his rivals that tabloid journalists find precious for her work.

I think Mrs. P. is right. The newspaper lady told on herself when she said, "And, only because he was queried about it, Chan pondered the rival who isnt here Plushenko."

In other words, the absent Plushenko was the farthest thing from Patrick's mind as he prepared to take on Hanyu, Takahash, Kozuka and Fernadez this weekend. When Ms. Dimano pestered him about it out of the blue (Come on, say it -- you think you can kick Plushenko's butt, right? Say it! Say it! ), the best Patrick could come up with is a mild I hope so.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast