Plushenko won't bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: by Rosie DiManno | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Plushenko won't bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: by Rosie DiManno

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Mrs. P. is right. The newspaper lady told on herself when she said, "And, only because he was queried about it, Chan pondered the rival who isn’t here — Plushenko."

In other words, the absent Plushenko was the farthest thing from Patrick's mind as he prepared to take on Hanyu, Takahash, Kozuka and Fernadez this weekend. When Ms. Dimano pestered him about it out of the blue (Come on, say it -- you think you can kick Plushenko's butt, right? Say it! Say it! :laugh:), the best Patrick could come up with is a mild I hope so.

Exactly. Sorry, but if I was Patrick, I would definitely be thinking more about competing against the guy who has the highest SP score EVER or the guy who beat me in my home country than somebody who wasn't here. :laugh:

Actually, I think the true Patrick Chan is revealed more in the paragraph above that one.

As for Chan, he spent the off-day in Sochi, playing ping-pong at the athletes’ hotel and taking a tourist jaunt into the distant city centre. “We walked down to the water. It’s just nice to see water after being in Colorado. Then we went to look at the Olympic clock. It’s kind of weird because that’s the only Olympic-y thing in the city. It doesn’t really feel like a Winter Olympics city, with the beautiful weather and all the palm trees.”

Ping-pong and palm trees. That's our Patty. :yes:

lilywang

Rinkside
Ms. DiManno's piece of work just shows how important figure skating is to Canadian readers. No wonder the newspaper sent their most able reporter to cover this sport, :laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, a thing... The title of the article - or "article" - is apparently "Plushenko won't bother with Grand Prix season" - WON'T - ahum, lady, it took this long for you to notice? May I respectfully suggest that it should have been "didn't"? ;)

emdee

Final Flight
I must admit all this much ado about nothing has given me a stitch in my side caused by my laughter. Especially postings by " my darling"

Rosie is Rosie and we know her as such....

What would you say if I told you that the newpaper in the supermarket newsstand which states that the alien child has two heads is genuine journalism.

Yup its like that. That genuine .

RM herself is probably preening herself with all the postings here.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Who is that woman? I'm not Russian, but I read many times the Russian media, they had never wrote such a disgusting article about Plushenko's rival. And Chan is a rude man! After this I don't like him!

Dearest plushenkofan:

On behalf of Canadian figure skating fans everywhere, I apologize to you from the bottom of my heart. I have not read DiManno's or even know what she said, but she is the most offensive woman in Canada and she knows NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING about the sport of skating. She once wrote that Shae-Lynne Bourne and Victor Kraatz would have a difficult time beating the Chinese teams with their big lifts and throws. This is not a joke. She actually wrote this.

When they sent her to Nice, I wrote an email to the editor of the Toronto Star and asked if they couldn't find someone who at least likes the sport to cover Worlds so that fans would at least get useful information and he replied that Rosie loved skating and begged for the assignment. Let's see, a one-week, all expense paid trip to the French Riviera in the early spring. Yeah, I'd tell the boss I was the world's biggest figure skating fan to get that one too.

Please don't hold ANYTHING that woman wrote against Patrick or anyone else she quotes. She's unbelieveable. She's a hockey reporter so of course shes knows about skating.

Again, my apologies.

Dearest plushenkofan:

On behalf of Canadian figure skating fans everywhere, I apologize to you from the bottom of my heart. I have not read DiManno's or even know what she said, but she is the most offensive woman in Canada and she knows NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING about the sport of skating. She once wrote that Shae-Lynne Bourne and Victor Kraatz would have a difficult time beating the Chinese teams with their big lifts and throws. This is not a joke. She actually wrote this.

For real? Yikes! ROTFL. This is definitely not someone to be taken seriously if this is how much she bothers to study before she writes about skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The lady makes FACTUAL errors in her columns, so this does not surprise me. The error I asked her to correct in that one column was regarding if Nam Nguyen was old enough to go to Sochi. She said he wasn't, I explained how he was. Goodness it's not that hard to figure out!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:eek: this is that same woman?! I remember thinking the woman was completely laughable... how do the editors let her stay on (then again there've been some morons for our local paper when it comes to stuff to do with Alaska... so I guess it happens everywhere)????

Go read this and tell for yourself how creditable that woman is regarding figure skating or as a journalist in general:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...-pairs-need-to-ditch-the-hand-holding-dimanno

Rosie D. said:
You don’t see a pitching and catching battery linking arms or the starting five in basketball [holding hands like pairs skaters and ice dancers.]

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg616/sc...616&filename=93275959.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

http://apps.carleton.edu/reason_package/reason_4.0/www/images/762032.jpg?1315087834

I wonder if she knows that Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir actually perform in hold? ;)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
She also once said that the only reason straight men watch figure skating is to watch little girls in skimpy outfits and the ISU was pimping children to perverts.

LRK

Record Breaker
She also once said that the only reason straight men watch figure skating is to watch little girls in skimpy outfits and the ISU was pimping children to perverts.

Well, this then begs the question of why SHE is watching it... And do I even want to know?

(And no, I've not yet read this "article" - since I've yet to see one single person say it was worth reading.)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Some of the real figure skating reporters I know who have run into DiManno in the press room at events says she seems to be trying to learn about the sport, but she still gets everything so horribly wrong. Either that or she retains information at the same level as my cat Skippy.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Well, this then begs the question of why SHE is watching it... And do I even want to know?

(And no, I've not yet read this "article" - since I've yet to see one single person say it was worth reading.)

That's really wise! you've just saved yourself from the pain. After reading the two articles, I've made up my mind never click on anything tagged with her name:)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I wrote an email to the editor of the Toronto Star and asked if they couldn't find someone who at least likes the sport to cover Worlds so that fans would at least get useful information and he replied that Rosie loved skating and begged for the assignment.
So basically Toronot Star ignored your request. Is TS a tabloid or regarded as some not-tabloid media in Canada?

Am I wrong in thinking that the Toronto Star is the principal newspaper in Canada's largest city?

I amend that. I just looked it up. The Toronto Star is apparently the largest newspaper in all of Canada. Which is a skating country, not like, say, Jamaica or Brazil. So this is whom they pick for their skating reporter? Color me completely confused.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Am I wrong in thinking that the Toronto Star is the principal newspaper in Canada's largest city?

I amend that. I just looked it up. The Toronto Star is apparently the largest newspaper in all of Canada. Which is a skating country, not like, say, Jamaica or Brazil. So this is whom they pick for their skating reporter? Color me completely confused.

Indeed it is very disappointing. I can't remember his name, but the reporter from Hamilton who passed away some time last year was a really good sport reporter. It's a shame that we don't have more decent journalists to cover skating. I would recommend Kurt Browning if you want to read Canadian skating comment. He's relatively impartial. P.J Kwong is OK.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Dearest plushenkofan:

When they sent her to Nice, I wrote an email to the editor of the Toronto Star and asked if they couldn't find someone who at least likes the sport to cover Worlds so that fans would at least get useful information and he replied that Rosie loved skating and begged for the assignment. Let's see, a one-week, all expense paid trip to the French Riviera in the early spring. Yeah, I'd tell the boss I was the world's biggest figure skating fan to get that one too.

Please don't hold ANYTHING that woman wrote against Patrick or anyone else she quotes. She's unbelieveable. She's a hockey reporter so of course shes knows about skating.

Again, my apologies.

Dear Dragonlady!

I was very upset, but I already calmed down, and I know, one journalist isn't the whole country and aren't all skating fans from Canada. Thank you for your apologize, but I think you should not have done. And I feel good about myself, because I read a lot of critical comment about Rosie, and it seems we are fans of different skaters, but we aren't enemies of each other and we aren't haters of other skaters. :)

Thank you again..

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight

You are correct on every score Olympia. She's not just a bad skating reporter, I gave up reading her columns years ago because she would say the rudest things. She interviewed a single mother whose very young daughter had gone missing in their apartment complex on her way to a friends house down the hall. DiManno wrote in her column that the mother behaved oddly for a woman whose child was missing. Well gee Rosie, just how is a young mother living in a working class neighbourhood supposed to behave when the press want to interview her about her missing daughter?

I long ago gave up understanding how someone so rude and offensive has kept her job. I figure she must have dirty pictures on somebody.