Plushenko won't bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: by Rosie DiManno | Golden Skate

Plushenko won't bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: by Rosie DiManno

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushenko won't bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: by Rosie DiManno

Who is that woman? I'm not Russian, but I read many times the Russian media, they had never wrote such a disgusting article about Plushenko's rival. And Chan is a rude man! After this I don't like him!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...with-figure-skating-grand-prix-season-dimanno
I think this is shame for Canadians and for Chan! Sorry, maybe I'm also rude, but I'm really surprised!! I have no words...

This is not my comment, my english is too bad, so I borrowed this from an American lady, I hope she forgives me..

Whitebamboo:
"Plushenko, like every other skater, has the right to decide, based on his own competitive interests, what competitions to enter or not to enter. And given his age and injuries, every competition carries its risk.

But then again...LOL, why am I even trying to reply to Ms. DiManno's "point"? As far as I can see, there is no content to her article other than various not-so-subtle personal attacks, and against a character that's completely imagined by her own mind. I don't even know if it's possible to "defend" Evgeni against this, because it's like some sort of fiction, really.

(And btw, speaking of fiction, why did she have to drop Tolstoy's name in this article? If she'd actually understood anything about Tolstoy, she'd have know that the characters in his books actually have inner motivations and human depths and are actually not "vain, disdainful, imperious" caricatures.)"

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Who is that woman? I'm not Russian, but I read many times the Russian media, they had never wrote such a disgusting article about Plushenko's rival. And Chan is a rude man! After this I don't like him!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...with-figure-skating-grand-prix-season-dimanno
I think this is shame for Canadians and for Chan! Sorry, maybe I'm also rude, but I'm really surprised!! I have no words...
I wouldn't take anything Rosie DiManno writes seriously. Note that Chan doesn't say anything particularly controversial, despite her efforts to twist his words and make him seem like a jerk. And Plushenko has never said anything that could be interpreted as sneering at Chan. Anyway, when Chan wants to say controversial things, there's no need to paraphrase his comments :biggrin: Basically all he said here is that Plushenko was more impressive in practice at JO than in competition and that his jumps are pretty amazing for a skater in his thirties (the ages mentioned are obviously a joke), and he tried to answer the bit at the end diplomatically. The rest is just DiManno trying to earn her paycheck. It's just an attempt to stir up some controversy and drama, a typical hack job for her.

So the bottom line: ignore her. Maybe some day she'll go away.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've never been that impressed with DiManno. She wrote a column in 2011 basically slamming all the Canadian men skaters not named Patrick Chan and I took the time to craft a thoughtful response disagreeing with her (and to a correct an error) via email and she didn't even bother to respond.

So I agree with Buttercup, she's not really into reporting on the sport beyond her perceptions and assumptions.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I wouldn't take anything Rosie DiManno writes seriously. Note that Chan doesn't say anything particularly controversial, despite her efforts to twist his words and make him seem like a jerk. And Plushenko has never said anything that could be interpreted as sneering at Chan. Anyway, when Chan wants to say controversial things, there's no need to paraphrase his comments :biggrin: Basically all he said here is that Plushenko was more impressive in practice at JO than in competition and that his jumps are pretty amazing for a skater in his thirties (the ages mentioned are obviously a joke), and he tried to answer the bit at the end diplomatically. The rest is just DiManno trying to earn her paycheck. It's just an attempt to stir up some controversy and drama, a typical hack job for her.

So the bottom line: ignore her. Maybe some day she'll go away.

Ok. Thanks Buttercup. I really hope, really hope you are right..Plush always spoke respectfully about Chan.. I remember Chan had bad mouth toward Plushy several times, so I'm not sure this explanation will be enough for FS fans, who don't like Chan, and they are not a few people.

evangeline

Record Breaker
The Toronto Star basically hires Rosie DiManno to manufacture outrage and controversy...she's only a "journalist" in the loosest sense of the word and is not representative of the Canadian media at all. Sadly this article is pretty tame compared to some of the truly dreadful and insulting things she's written about in the past.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ok. Thanks Buttercup. I really hope, really hope you are right..Plush always spoke respectfully about Chan.. I remember Chan had bad mouth toward Plushy several times, so I'm not sure this explanation will be enough for FS fans, who don't like Chan, and they are not a few people.
I think Chan has made all sorts of offensive and inappropriate comments in the past, and some of these were quite memorable. However, it seems to me that he has matured and learned to better express himself with journalists (not that DiManno deserves to be considered a journalist), and there's really nothing particularly objectionable in this case, except for DiManno's interpretation. The same article 2-3 years ago would have likely included far more colorful comments from Chan.

gmyers

Record Breaker
this is very common of all the north american media and plushenko and is really nothing compared to what such people as bezic hamilton carruthers hammond and EM swift have said. In fact I think em swift was much worse in sports illustrated after vancouver because of their unanimous agreement that quads didn't matter in skating and how celebratory they all were of the really grotesque win of lysacek which defines objectionable olympic gold medals in skating at the olympics because the celebration of regresion and anti-progress and jumping. Should have recived unanimous disapproval and not just plushenko expresseed disaprroval. It was a disgrace and will always be such.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Toronto Star basically hires Rosie DiManno to manufacture outrage and controversy...she's only a "journalist" in the loosest sense of the word and is not representative of the Canadian media at all. Sadly this article is pretty tame compared to some of the truly dreadful and insulting things she's written about in the past.

Yes, in that article I refer to (http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...d-chan-canada-s-skating-ranks-worryingly-thin) she basically paints Shawn Sawyer in quite the terrible light, which was horrible considering his SOHL at Canadians:

Apart from providing an intriguing glimpse into the machinations of the Skate Canada politburo — an organization with a long history of big-footing athletes and promoting favourites over those who’ve earned their ranking on the ice — Sawyer’s success represents a double-edged sword: He may have had the skate of his life, but he’s not an athlete to build on and his Tokyo inclusion, while a nice personal story, is pretty much a waste in a year when Canada has qualified three spots for men at worlds.

Geez louise!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hate Rosie's type of journalism. I think the sport and it's athletes deserve better than to be put in a situation where they feel compelled to comment on their competitors. Skaters are tremendous athletes who work very hard to give their best on and off the ice.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think it will probably be better for my temper not to read the thing - though I may obviously succumb to temptation later... However, whenever I hear/see things like this, I cannot help but think of the Babylon 5 episode: The Illusion of Truth...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
One writer is not the Canadian Media, nor does an unverified quote define Chan, just as the tune of said writer does not paint an astute portrait of Plushenko.

A mole hill is not a mountain.

Last edited:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I had to read through the thing three times before I realized what was supposed to be so offensive about it. The slight exaggeration about his age while talking about how impressive it is that he's retained his jumps? Meh. Honestly, I can see myself making a remark like that in casual conversation, not at all intending it as an insult. I agree that it's the writing around it that makes it seem that way.

And Chan has never come across as obnoxious to me when I actually see him speaking during an interview. I've gotten that impression before reading print articles, but in print articles it's easier to misread people: you don't hear how they're saying things, and the reporter can easily spin it a certain way by the rest of the article. I really think he's more innocently honest and straightforward, and doesn't always realize how he's going to come across. I can be like this myself, so I kinda like him for that.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think Chan has made all sorts of offensive and inappropriate comments in the past, and some of these were quite memorable. However, it seems to me that he has matured and learned to better express himself with journalists (not that DiManno deserves to be considered a journalist), and there's really nothing particularly objectionable in this case, except for DiManno's interpretation.
How do we know that this is DiManno's interpretation and not his words? Did he sue her for libel or denied "his" printed words in press? Or do we have another souce? No. Moreover, just this season after JO he said to his media, and to not DiManno, that he is unbeatable when he jumps. Oh yeah. Sounds kind of arrogant and childish for a matured man. Or when he said after CoR to the Russian press that 4F and 4S are just funning around. Poor skaters who are "funning" by practicing those jumps! And then he added that PCS has always been his strong point. Here he is absolutely "right" but surely has no idea how ironical it sounds from the mouth of the most overscored skater. Or when he said just recently that his rivals in Sochi are Plu and Dai only because all the rest are young and inexperienced. Great! After these words I just want someone like Hanyu to be over Chan in Olympic chart. And I don't even bother to type his offensive comments from the past. The guy doesn't sound matured to me, he actually sounds angrier and desperate somehow. Plus he did all he could in the past to make people believe that there is some truth in "DiManno's interpretation", as you call it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, I don't think you can indict Chan for this one, either.

Evgenia

Rinkside

I think this woman was trying to make people think Plushenko is *******. I also read Russian newspaper often, but they never treated their athletes' rivals in this way. Maybe Canadian media have little character than Russian.

And Patrick Chan, he is always been a person of rude character. I never forget what he said. He is not a champion worthy of respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I don't see anything wrong with Chan's remark either. in contrast, he admired Plush's ability to retain all those jumps at his age. He actually said he was intimidated. The article is really of bad taste, but not Chan.

Evgenia

Rinkside
I don't see anything wrong with Chan's remark either. in contrast, he admired Plush's ability to retain all those jumps at his age. He actually said he was intimidated. The article is really of bad taste, but not Chan.

Plushenko is not 35 or 36. To say the age of someone too higher or too lower deliberately is impolite. Before Vancouver, Chan was saying Plushenko is old.
By the way, most Canadian fs fans are old people. Chan maybe laugh at them. He doesn't have respect for older people.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
You are too sensitive. Chan doesn't know exactly Plushenko's age. Is that worth of offense? Unless one is old enough (for men, I'd say over 50) to be sensitive on the ages,:laugh: saying wrong age is not a big deal, especially it's not in front of the said person, also especially Plushenko is not in the age-sensitive age. Scott Hamilton was called "grandfather of figure skating" when he was in his late 30s. You have no evidence and proof to say that Chan doesn't respect the older people. He respected Mr. Colson and sees him as one of his family members.

It is this writer who is often rude, not just on Plushenko. She doesn't represent the whole Canadian media, just like Phil Hersh doesn't represent the whole US media.

Last edited:

Evgenia

Rinkside
You are too sensitive. Chan doesn't know exactly Plushenko's age

Yeah maybe so. But I felt Chan hates old people. I'm not Chan's fan (Thank God I'm not!) and don't even want to know his story.
Probably Chan also didn't know Yagudin's program was not easy ten years ago. So he can laugh at Yagudin's progam.

I hope Japanese men kick Chan's ***.

Last edited by a moderator: