Plushenko won't bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: by Rosie DiManno | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko won't bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: by Rosie DiManno

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Because if these were actual quotes, she would have reported them as such
She did. His words are in the quotation marks as direct speech in that article, the same as Plu's words, which are btw accurate. Why should anyone assumes that in case of Plu she quoted his words correctly, but in case of Chan she faked it. Kind of lame and desperate explanation I observe here.
^ Nah. Chan is in the clear. The lady is tying to sell newspapers. *yawn*
Which "The lady"? Besides DiManno that is in OP, I mentioned three other sources: one- Canadian "CalgaryHerald" where Chan said he is unbeatable when he jumps, two- Russian championship.com where he said that PCS has always been his strongest point (holy "true" btw!) and was "funning" about those who attemp 4S and 4T, three- Japanese Nikkei where he said that his rivals in Sochi are Plu and Dai and all the rest are young and inexperienced. So, which "The lady" exactly you are refering too? :biggrin:

Somebody has changed the title of thread...No matter, but I would like to show other case, whe the Canadian media wasn't too elegante to Plush. Do you remember this voting?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2012/10/12/spf-poll-isu-figure-skating.html

Look at their pictures,,I don't think, that the CBC didn't find a better pictures about Plushy.

The funniest thing is that the pictures show Lysacek as the soulful artiste. ;)

This article is so ridiculous that I cannot help laughing when she drops the name of Tolstoy. Oh boy, rational people are all boringly alike, but every lunatic is fascinating in his/her own way. She would make a fine Countess Lidiya Ivanovna.

She should really take Tolstoy's words, "All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. " But I guess she just loves trash-talking.

THIS! As the original poster Plushyfan also mentions. Say what you like about Plushenko and Chan, but when you get on my Leo's case, now that's going too far!

Tolstoy's full vision of life made him the Plushenko of novelists. ;)

phaeljones

On the Ice
When I read the article I was kind of surprised that the Toronto Star was sending one of its signature writers to cover the GPF. (Every day, I go through the Toronto newspapers in the vain hope that there will be an article on figure skating so I nearly fell off my kitchen chair when I saw that there was one yesterday.) I suspect that she will be filing a story a day. (Today, her article was on hand holding in the pairs skating. lol. Yup, this woman has depth.) She tends to push the envelope in her writing and that is what her readers like, but she is actually, IMO, no where near as distasteful as some of the other writers at that newspaper are.

I was not at all surprised at the article, knowing the newspaper, being familiar with the writer and her relationship with figure skaters. The articles speak more of her character rather than about anything she writes.

But: Add Patrick to the mix, and there is a perfect storm for journalistic plunder by a newspaper that excels in its art (in a certain way). Patrick says too often what he should not say, not understanding that it can be twisted out of context. Fact is: most, if not all, skaters are cold-blooded competitive characters when they size up their competition. In news conferences, the sugar-coated polite responses that get churned out, we often know are not really the real answers to the questions that are asked. Patrick has never been shell-proofed (as it appears many of the other skaters have) for answering questions. Nevertheless, we really don't want to hear people's honesty always. Some inner thoughts are outwardly rude and should just not be said, especially to writers like DiManno. In my respectful opinion, what she wrote should not have been written even if it was said.

People who know of Patrick personally know of him as a very decent person. He is perhaps naively too trusting of the press and, as a result, he is the perfect victim for writers like DiManno. He should, however, be better coached on how to deal with press, because this is not the first time his words have been mangled. As a confessed Chanaholic from Toronto, I admit that even I sometimes cringe at his responses, but I also know that he really is, behind it all, a very decent person.

I blame the Star, I blame DiManno, but I don't blame Chan for what was written in the article.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Lets imagine, for example Yuzuru Hanyu saying about Patrick Chan: “I think I feared him at the beginning. On the ice with him, that was almost like being in a time capsule. I was actually more impressed with him in practice than in the competition. I thought to myself, ‘Wow, he’s doing a lot better than I had expected.’ He can land all his jumps in practice, which is pretty good for someone who has — what? — 3, 4 falls per competition.’’
Nothing wrong, just the truth :p

It's not the truth! No one has 3, 4 falls per competition. Speaking about falls, are you talking about Patrick or Hanyu himself?;) Here is a difference: Saying someone older and still could skate and jump like that, it was a praise. Saying someone has 3, 4 falls per competition is a malicious slander. Had Patrick said Plushenko is someone who has one fall per competition, that could be a reason to be outraged.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Obviously, the writer was intentionally seeking controversies. She couldn't find any among the skaters who are attending, so she wrote about Plushenko who is irrelevant at all to this competition. I completely doubt that Chan wanted to just talk about Plushenko at GPF. He was answering her questions.

Plushenko was old by fans and media in Vancouver too, an age that Abott, Joubert, Verner, Daisuke and Lysacek have reached or about to reach too, but I dont see articles pointing out how old they are or how impressive they skate despite their age. Truth is that he is older than the rest but it 's been written so much and so repetitive since he was coming back in 2009 when he was 26-27 that it is just an uninspired comment. All the above men will be older in Sochi than he was in Vancouver but I would cringe if someone was calling Daisuke old by Sochi time. So I dont see the point in an article. Hongbo was 37 at Vancouver and I didnt see a dozen of articles pointing it out, even if in pairs they get to compete further than 30 he was stil old.Besides how the body strength of an athlete preserves I suppose is different for each person.

Btw, they are now many skaters who grew up with watching Plush, ex. Misha Ge or Hanyu but in their interviews the age difference is mentioned in a total different way. That article reminds me of the gossip shows we have on Tv, they know little of nothing and they talk about everything, but it has nothing to do with Chan, rather the journalist.

I think emphasizing Plushenko's age has many reasons:

1. Plushenko has stopped competing then made an comback to Vancouver and this time. That would make people more focused on his age.

2. Plushenko's longivity in his competitive career made people feel that he is older than his real age.

3. Not many skaters could comeback and immidiately mixed himself within the top current skaters. So his age is understandably focused.

What could Plushenko be hurt by this focusing on his age?:confused: Nothing!

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somebody has changed the title of thread

The title now accurately reflects the article's actual title (as it should have benn done in the first place).

Buttercup

Record Breaker
She did. His words are in the quotation marks as direct speech in that article, the same as Plu's words, which are btw accurate. Why should anyone assumes that in case of Plu she quoted his words correctly, but in case of Chan she faked it. Kind of lame and desperate explanation I observe here.
Are you being purposely obtuse? Look at what she quoted as actual statements from Chan; it's pretty mild stuff. Then look at the rest of the story, and tell me that DiManno is not exaggerating and embellishing everything, while casting Chan in a poor light in the process. Every nasty and controversial statement is hers rather than Chan's. I've had no problem criticizing Chan in the past, but he did nothing wrong here. It's all on her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also I agree with the poster who wonders why Plushy is even a topic when she's supposedly covering the GPF.

There's lots of skaters who aren't at the GPF: Yuna Kim, Miki Ando, Carolina Kostner. Seriously why is she so fixed on Plushy?

DiManno is just ridiculous in general. Just read her column regarding V/M and clearly she hasn't even bother to acknowledge the strengths of D/W. She goes on and on about how V/M has made "more impact" on the sport despite the rules. I guess the fact the D/W managed to do a great SD polka to ballet music doesn't count for anything to this lady. :rolleye: That's another topic though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You guys, her latest article is about her feeling on pairs skating holding hands. Do you really think she should be taken so seriously that you go for each other's "blood"?

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Are you being purposely obtuse? Look at what she quoted as actual statements from Chan
Darling, I too can call you adjectives like "dumb, foolish, stupid, dull, blunt, groos", etc. that dictionary posses. But I won't go down to your level. Instead of that I will try to word it as simple as possible- I don't care what some dimannos think or what opinions they have. I speak here only about PChan's quotes aka direct speech in OP, i.e. the stuff that he is directly responsible for. How and who used what he actually SAID is his problem entirely. He is 22. Old enough. :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^
But this thread is about DiManno....so if you don't care what she thinks...then.... :scratch:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Back to the topic. Who cares if Plushy doesn't skate in the GP. Neither did Michelle Kwan in the later stages in her career.

Again, it seems she cares more to slam the competitors of the Canadian skaters she likes than to actually report on what is going on.

Found this line in the column amusing:

And, only because he was queried about it, Chan pondered the rival who isn’t here — Plushenko.

Rosie, you mean only because YOU asked him about it?

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^
But this thread is about DiManno....so if you don't care what she thinks...then.... :scratch:

Maybe you should ask OP what thread he/she was opening. Or at least bother to read OP with "shame for Canadians and for Chan!". Chan's quote is the one that is there. The fact that you don't feel comfortable with OP's statement doesn't mean that it is "off topic".

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maybe you should ask OP what thread he/she was opening. Or at least bother to read OP. Chan's quote is the one that is there.

I did, but I agree this article is very much about DiManno's interpretation and less what Patrick said. She was clearly provoking the quotes/discussion here. If you want to go revisit Patrick Chan's remarks, then maybe a separate thread is in order, like a "Patrick Chan and the press" thread or something.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think if you want to start a "Patrick Chan and the press" thread, then go do that.
OP did it already, and the original title of this thread was with "Plu and Chan". Face it, people, you just don't want to admit that PChan says such stuff about his rivals that tabloid journalists find precious for her work.

I think Mrs. P. is right. The newspaper lady told on herself when she said, "And, only because he was queried about it, Chan pondered the rival who isn’t here — Plushenko."

In other words, the absent Plushenko was the farthest thing from Patrick's mind as he prepared to take on Hanyu, Takahash, Kozuka and Fernadez this weekend. When Ms. Dimano pestered him about it out of the blue (Come on, say it -- you think you can kick Plushenko's butt, right? Say it! Say it! :laugh:), the best Patrick could come up with is a mild I hope so.