2012 2013 JGPF Ladies Short Program Junior Grand Prix Final SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2012 2013 JGPF Ladies Short Program Junior Grand Prix Final SP

Art&Sport

Medalist
Very good young talent overall. But seriously, can't the coaches of some of these young bendable, flexible Russian ladies come up with some costume styling other than the ubiquitous bodysuit? Debi Thomas and Carolina Kostner have done it best in that regard, hands down or leg up. ;)

I'm somewhat amazed and amused by Johnny Weir's fashion influence among all disciplines in this sport. :laugh:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Very good young talent overall. But seriously, can't the coaches of some of these young bendable, flexible Russian ladies come up with some costume styling other than the ubiquitous bodysuit? Debi Thomas and Carolina Kostner have done it best in that regard, hands down or leg up. ;)

I'm somewhat amazed by Johnny Weir's fashion influence among all disciplines in this sport. :laugh:
Not sure if Johnny's fashion influence is always a good thing either lol:) Very impressed with all the junior ladies. Radionova had a lot of smal mistakes which is disappointing . Hannah cold win it all.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I expect the 2-3 rankings to change in the FS
and Radionova will do even better, she is a good free skater

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I'm somewhat amazed and amused by Johnny Weir's fashion influence among all disciplines in this sport. :laugh:

I remember Shelepen a couple seasons back, said in an interview or something, that she chose bodysuits for her costumes that season because she was growing quickly and her legs were much longer than the rest of her body at that point, so a dress would either have a skirt that looked too short, or if the skirt is lengthened, then it can be distracting when one is skating. Pogorilaya at least is certainly very much legs at this point, so I would not be surprised if her decision to wear bodysuits is due to similar reasoning. As for Radinova, the body suit suits the program so I'm fine with it.

Really impressed with Pogorilaya by the way, she reminds me of Shelepen with better jump technique and a nice injection of personality. Love her balanchine lines and the way she pushes through her programs. Nice to see some talented up-and-comers on the rise where so many of the current Russian senior ladies have been struggling recently.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not sure if Johnny's fashion influence is always a good thing either lol:) Very impressed with all the junior ladies. Radionova had a lot of smal mistakes which is disappointing . Hannah cold win it all.

I would be thrilled if Hannah got on the podium, and I think she definitely can with that 8 point edge over Wang, but I tend to think the Russians will go 1 and 2, those two have a lot of content planned in their FS, and Radinova rarely makes mistakes. Pogo idk because she was so much better at her second JGP compared to her first, but from what I can tell she seems hungry and on an upward projectory.

macy

Record Breaker
if the top 3 put out clean or very near clean performances, they'll stay on the podium. elena is no doubt to stay in the lead with a good skate, and i really think hannah will stay in second if she skates well. she has way better PCS in my opinion that pogorilaya, i didn't like her scratchiness. LSC is so proud of you hannah :) i saw her interview after the short on IN and she says she loves the long program, so i think she'll rock it. here's a couple local news articles on her if anyone cares to read:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312040014
http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/...-For-International-Competition-181521081.html (has two videos)

Art&Sport

Medalist
I remember Shelepen a couple seasons back, said in an interview or something, that she chose bodysuits for her costumes that season because she was growing quickly and her legs were much longer than the rest of her body at that point, so a dress would either have a skirt that looked too short, or if the skirt is lengthened, then it can be distracting when one is skating. Pogorilaya at least is certainly very much legs at this point, so I would not be surprised if her decision to wear bodysuits is due to similar reasoning. As for Radinova, the body suit suits the program so I'm fine with it.

Really impressed with Pogorilaya by the way, she reminds me of Shelepen with better jump technique and a nice injection of personality. Love her balanchine lines and the way she pushes through her programs. Nice to see some talented up-and-comers on the rise where so many of the current Russian senior ladies have been struggling recently.

Certainly, Radionova has the classic short torso and long lovely legs of the ideal Balanchine ballerina -- don't know whether Radionova has much of a neck though b/c it seems to be swallowed up by the costume, or else she doesn't have a long neck. Why aren't these young ladies going the way of Russian ballet then? I guess Russian fs needs them and perhaps they are judged to not be going to grow to average or taller height, and a small size is suitable for a figure skater (or a gymnast too). Shelepen is a bit tall, in the way of her coach (perhaps Pogorilaya will be too). I'd love to see some of these Russian ladies performing rhythmic gymnastics rather than skating.

In regard to your comments that I bolded: Well, yes, all these young ladies have talent, especially at these young precocious ages. It is going through the puberty, the injuries, the transitional growth stages both physically and mentally that will determine how far they all make it in the senior ranks. That is what some of the young Russian senior ladies are experiencing right now: adjusting to the changes they are going through, while trying to maintain and further develop their skills.

loopy

Final Flight

I really like the bodysuits. They are a nice change from the dresses and stand out.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I read on icenetwork that Elena's music started 5 seconds late and that she tried to catch up with it and I checked the video and she is right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKldoLvpbOc she did a great job covering this but the program seemed a bit rushed though. Maybe she should have stop and start over again? Was she allowed to do that?

Country
Russia
That edge call on the flip for angela is wierd , she didnt lip! just one of "those calls" I guess.
On video we see no edge, while must be inner edge. It means "UNCLEAR EDGE TAKE-OFF F/Lz" (ISU Communication 1724), i.e. reduction of GOE -1 -2. Judges' GOE were 0 or -1.

For comparing - Anna Pogorilaya had outer edge on 3F (we see it on video), and GOE were -1 -2.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Certainly, Radionova has the classic short torso and long lovely legs of the ideal Balanchine ballerina -- don't know whether Radionova has much of a neck though b/c it seems to be swallowed up by the costume, or else she doesn't have a long neck. Why aren't these young ladies going the way of Russian ballet then? I guess Russian fs needs them and perhaps they are judged to not be going to grow to average or taller height, and a small size is suitable for a figure skater (or a gymnast too). Shelepen is a bit tall, in the way of her coach (perhaps Pogorilaya will be too). I'd love to see some of these Russian ladies performing rhythmic gymnastics rather than skating.

In regard to your comments that I bolded: Well, yes, all these young ladies have talent, especially at these young precocious ages. It is going through the puberty, the injuries, the transitional growth stages both physically and mentally that will determine how far they all make it in the senior ranks. That is what some of the young Russian senior ladies are experiencing right now: adjusting to the changes they are going through, while trying to maintain and further develop their skills.

I hope you know how hard it is to be successful in rhythmic gymnastics in Russia. The level of talent and the amount of gymnasts in that country really is staggering. They completely dominate rhythmic gymnastics and have done so for the last 10 years. I think these Russian babies have better chances in figure skating than rhythmic gymnastics.