Thread: Shnapir and Castelli having a breakout season

Hybrid View

News Shnapir and Castelli having a breakout season

Sudbury’s Simon Shnapir and his skating partner, Marissa Castelli, are headed to the US Figure Skating Championships next month in Omaha. And the pair will do so with renewed confidence and their highest world ranking.

More

I didn't realize he was Canadian.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    That's because Shnapir is not Canadian.

The Boston Globe article at the link above says that he "was born in Moscow and emigrated with his family to this country in 1989."
    "This country" means the U.S.
    And "Sudbury" is Sudbury, Massachusetts -- located 17 miles from Boston, according to his high school's profile http://www.lsrhs.net/sites/info/file...ROFILE2013.pdf

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Another thing that the article didn't mention is that Marissa also skates with Theatre on Ice of Boston. We saw her perform both with Simon and with Ice Theatre on Ice of Boston at Everning with Champions, and she was great in both disciplines

Custom Title
    They are doing well but it appear more than anything they are just lucky too as well. Timing is everything and there are retirements, injuries which all seemed to help them move up the rankings bot in the world and US. Good team but they also seem to be a bit luck especially with timing. I think they can win nationals but a world medal is going to be a huge challenge.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    In the US, these days, top 10 seems to be the best we hope for; I hope they can do this.