How long have you been skating? | Golden Skate

How long have you been skating?

S

starskaterz

How long have you been skating?

I was wondering, how long everyone has been skating and how far have you progressed so far?

My self, I've been skating for 9 months and now I'm in ISI Freestyle 4.

:D

S

starshinexavier

Re: How long have you been skating?

I will be starting my 14th year skating in the fall. I have Gold Skills, Jr. Silver Freeskate, Sr. Silver Dances, and Gold Interpretive.

S

sk8er1964

Skatin' time

I skated 9 years as a kid - passed ISIA 6, USFSA's 1st Figures, Preliminary Freestyle, and Preliminary Dance tests.

Now I've been back one year as an adult (after 21 years off), skating in the USFSA's programs. I've passed through my Adult Gold MIF's and Adult Gold Freestyle. I plan on testing my standard Intermediate MIF's in the fall, but no more freestyle tests.

L

Lanechka

Re: Skatin' time

I've been skating now about six months. I took lessons when I was really young, but my mother took me out of them because while I showed potential (and everyone lauded it too), I never listened. I wanted to do my thing. I was one stubborn little kid. ;) So, about 14 years later... here I am! :D

C

Cinderella On Ice

As an adult, I've been skating 14 months. I skated as a kid for 7 years and have returned after 30 years :eek: off the ice. As a kid, I passed ISI Freestyle 6, Pairs 5, and Dance 4. Now as an adult, I'm about to test USFSA Gold Moves and Bronze Freestyle. I hope to complete through Gold Freestyle by January 15 so I can compete in Adult Nationals at Gold Level III (I'm 46 years old).

I

icenut84

I started having group lessons in Feb 01, so about 2 years and 4 months ago. I only skate weekly and have only had one lesson since March! I passed all the beginners badges ages ago but have never tested beyond that, or competed, so I don't have a "level" as such.

S

skaterskickbutt

9 years, junior, novice moves,7 days a week every session

S

Spree2spree

i've been skating in 10 years now!..i'm no a competitor in novice and have gotten what you call the A-test...the last!...pyyyhh!

L

Lcp88

I don't remember when I really first started, but I took my first group lesson's when I was 7 (ISI Pre-Alpha.) Since then I've moved up to ISI Freestyle 6/7 and USFSA Intermidiate. I also did pairs for a little while, but got too tall (5'6'') for the guys at my rink and haven't had the time to really do a intense search.
Laura

Y

Yazmeen42skater

I'm an adult skater, never really skated as a child except stumbling around a couple of times. Started 4 years ago at age 41. I'm currently in ISI Freestyele 2-3 (learning elements from both) and hope to take my USFSA Pre-Bronze MITF and Freestyle tests this year. :cool:

L

Lanternlight

<em>9 years, junior, novice moves,7 days a week every session </em>

That's funny, you can't skate junior freestyle without passing junior moves. A skater would know that.

As for myself, I have passed pre pre, am skating on adult bronze level, I'm going to go about twice a week once I commence my new job and hope to get to Adult Nationals in two years, when I reach twenty five.

B

bumblebee1

I've been skating since 1998. I started taking lessons in 1999. So that means I've been skating for almost four years. I'm at the basic 5 level. Christ, I feel a little out of place with all the others being so far ahead of me. I know, I must stop feeling sorry for myself. Besides the edges, I've been learning the canasta tango. It took a while until I got the first part of the dance down. My lessons consist of learning the edges, turns and the dance. The first lessons taken were in 1999: they were a 38th birthday gift to myself.

C

Cinderella On Ice

<strong>Bumblebee1</strong> - Don't feel out of place, you've made good progress. I've learned that I've got to stop comparing myself to everyone else, as they all have different "stories" or reasons why they've gotten to the levels they did (both above and below me). The main thing is that we're having a blast doing it and continuing to learn things all the time.

To be honest, I'm just grateful that I CAN skate. Not everyone does so at our otherwise still young ages of 42 and (in my case) 46. For all the people whom you see on the ice who are "better" than you, there are hundreds and hundreds who couldn't even make it around the rink once! Those are the people you DON'T see!

So enjoy your progress and woo hoo for the Canasta Tango. Dancing is fun!

S

sk8er1964

Skatin' time

Bumblebee1 - I second what Cinderella has said.

Remember, too, that it is a lot harder to learn skating as an adult (or an older teenager, for that matter) than it is as a little kid. I learned the stuff as a kid - now I am basically relearning what my body already knows how to do (although I will admit it was a lot easier to do some of this stuff at 16 than it is at 38!).

An interesting aside - I have trouble with the same things that I had trouble with as a kid. For example, I did not like figures - I found the edge control that they required to be very difficult. Now as an adult, I find the edge control moves in the field a lot more difficult than the power moves.

Anyway, as long as you are having fun - that's the important thing! Enjoy your dancing!

S

skaterskickbutt

uh yeah you can, my rink a couple of months ago just had testing for pre-pre-senior freeskate, not moves .The moves were later which I have taken and passed, so I am a Junior in freeskate and a Junior in moves, don't try to prove me wrong, it will be a huge waste of your time.

L

lilicedancer

I've been skating for 10 years, dancing for 5. I have my novice moves and one of my pre-gold dances.

R

rachelstarlet

I think I waited long enough to post in here that I won't be embarassed :) - I've been taking Basic Skills classes for four weeks, and have a few paltry little skills in my reperetoire, but I'm having a lot of fun and hope to take lessons/skate on a regular basis from now on. I skated recreationally a lot when I was younger (I just graduated HS), stopped for about five years, and then went back again this winter and fell in love! (With the ice, that is)

G

Glacierskater

I messed around on the ice growing up,. but no private lessons. I started skating seriously about 3 years ago. I took a year off during that time, but have been back on the ice for about 6 months. I am only complete when I have skating in my life.

S

SkateDustin

"uh yeah you can, my rink a couple of months ago just had testing for pre-pre-senior freeskate, not moves .The moves were later which I have taken and passed, so I am a Junior in freeskate and a Junior in moves, don't try to prove me wrong, it will be a huge waste of your time. "

Uh, no you can't take Novice freestyle before passing Novice moves. The USFSA rule book clearly states that a moves test for a certain level must be taken and passed prior to the freestyle test. You don't make it very hard to prove you wrong, and it wasn't really a waste of my time to do so. ;)

BTW, what is pre-pre-Senior freeskate? As far as I have seen in my 7 years of skating, thats not a level. :p

L

Lanternlight

:lol: thanks Dustin

If you are going to lie, at least bother to look up the facts before you invent a life for yourself.

Seriously though, we are all individuals with different talents. Why pretend to be something we're not?